Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

ULCER - Utah Lake

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just want your thoughts on this ride if you have been there.
    Thankya thankya thankya!!!

Haven't done this one yet, but thinking about it. I hear it's flat but can be brutally hot and windy, so it all depends on the weather gods. There's one 30-40 mile stretch in the 2nd half that has "not even a bush to hide behind" according to the pre-ride description (see BBTC ride calendar for Aug 5 describing the pre-ride). I hear organizers are talking about trying to arrange the rest stops (some with water only, some with food & water--and port-a-potties of course) every 10 miles on that stretch. With good weather it should be a good ride.

Look forward to responses from TE'rs that have done this ride.

Hi Flybye

The ULCER is put on by the same group that worked LRRH. The roads are well marked and the rest stops are well planned and stocked. However, don't expect as much sag support because most of the guys helping at LRRH ride the Ulcer. So be prepared to care for yourself more than you would at LRRH.

I have ridden this the past two years. Although I have not completed the century. I hear this year the century goes around the lake. As for the half and metric, they are indeed a beautiful course. It is indeed flat. But as was previously stated, August can be very hot and if the wind kicks up around the lake it can get tough. But I definitely think its a worth while ride.

I believe LifesGreat is doing this ride. I have not yet decided.

Thanks for your input. I kind of like to keep riding bikes in the "fun" category. I don't know for sure if brutally hot and wind and bikes all belong in the same sentence

This gives me something to chew on for awhile.

I am signed up to the the 70 miles (this year the ride is capped at 1800). This is my third year, having done the metric both years. Why am I not doing the hundred this year? I am so slow I would be riding the west side of Utah Lake in the hottest part of the day. I am nervous about Redwood Road as well. Last year, I, Sulis and a few others did the metric ride and had lots of fun. I am going to guess the 70 mile ride will be from Thanksgiving Point to the park in downtown Springville and back and is longer b/c the ride starts farther north. I hear the ride is VERY flat until you get to the west side of Utah Lake and then there are rollers. The metrics I have done are super-flat.
    Last edited by Lifesgreat; 06-15-2007 at 08:14 PM.
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

I registered for the Ulcer. Hopefully it will be my first century now that I have a snazzy new wheel set. But my distance may change that day, we will see.

ULCER Roll Call!

Okay, 2 weeks until ULCER! Who's in???? I've signed up for the 111-mile route.

Alex

Me! 70 miles. With family schedule and vacations, I haven't been on my bike as much as I would like. I better get lots of saddle time in the next two weeks
    Life is like riding a bicycle. To stay balanced, one must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

In all of living, have much fun and laughter. Life is to be enjoyed, not just endured. -Gordon B. Hinckley

As it turns out I'll be out of town, so I'll have to skip it again this year. Thinking about doing the BBTC pre-ride Aug 5th (but only the metric portion).

BD:

Do you have any interest in doing the metric pre-ride on Saturday instead? I am doing ULCER with the same friend with whom I rode LRRH (and hopefully Sulis) and we were thinking that we might want to do part of the course next weekend. I want to ride on Saturday, instead of Sunday, so I have one extra recovery day before ULCER. PM me if you're interested!

Alex

Lifesgreat,

Well, if you want to get some miles in on Saturday, PM me and maybe we can ride together!

Alex