Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Public Speaking Jitters

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm speaking at an event tonight and, despite the fact that I do a fair amount of public speaking, I'm getting the jitters. Most of the public speaking I do is about the law, in front of other lawyers, most of whom I know. I'm on familiar territory so it doesn't freak me out. Tonight, however, I've been asked to speak at an event to celebrate the successful end to the YMCA of Greater Indianapolis's Strong Kids Campaign. They wanted a testimonial from a donor/campaigner and chose me. I'm very honored, but my testimonial touches on some personal things which I'll be sharing with a roomful of strangers. Needless to say, I suddenly feel like I'm not wearing anything but my underwear.

Please send me your good thoughts, ladies. I'm sure it will go just fine, but I'm nervous all the same.

Thanks!

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Kate - you'll do great! I'm sure you're a confident and articulate speaker, and even though the material may be personal, think of the good it will do to those in attendance. Relax, take a deep breath and enjoy the experience!

Let us know how it went tomorrow!
    Dar

Like skydiving...

I was terribly shy in high school, so I joined a public speaking club to help me get over it! I did that for four years, and eventually majored in Public Speaking in college. I still get nervous...
    I try to look at it as an adventure. It makes you nervous, you get an adrenaline rush, and then you feel great when it is over.
    I find no amount of preparation and practice can get rid of that feeling if you have it. I just try to embrace it.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Eat something with protein a half hour before you speak. Known to ease stage fright.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You will do wonderfully.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

You'll do great. Since you will be speaking on more personal subjects, once you get going, you will probably do even better than in the courtroom because it will be "real". If all else fails, you could always try to picture your audience as though they were in THEIR underware!! On second thought, maybe not. You might not be able to control your laughter.

Hope it went well. My problem is the opposite...I'm more prone to be too transparent in something like that and need to really scrub my notes!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Thanks for the support!!!

Well, it went okay. I talked too fast and felt really nervous. I'm a big believer in what the Y does in our community so I tend to get a little emotional about it and last night was no exception. I didn't cry or anything, but it just made me feel a bit more "charged." Talking bankruptcy law in front of a bunch of lawyers doesn't usually have the same effect.

In any event, I'm very proud of what we were celebrating last night. The YMCA of Greater Indianapolis raised over $1.3 million for its campaign this year. That money goes to help individuals and families join the Y who couldn't otherwise afford it, to kids to attend summer camp, to women suffering from cancer and domestic abuse so that they can attend wellness programs and yoga classes, etc., etc. I'm so amazed at the work all of the staff and campaigners did and felt really honored to be a part of it.

Kate
    Live with intention. Walk to the edge. Listen hard. Practice wellness. Play with abandon. Laugh. Choose with no regret. Continue to learn. Appreciate your friends. Do what you love. Live as if this is all there is.

--Mary Anne Radmacher

Congratulations to you and the Y. I'm sure that the fact that it was such a heartfelt presentation made a real impact on your audience.

Thank you, Indy for supporting such a great cause and really putting yourself out there for it! Sorry I missed the chance to send butterflies during the event, so I'm sending them to the Y program and you!

H&B
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Way to go Kate! Great job in both the speaking and for being an advocate for such a good cause!
    Dar