Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

bike trailer to haul dogs?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm kicking around the idea of buying a trailer to take my two dogs along occasionally when I go for a ride. One of them has severe arthritis, so he can't take really long walks any more, but he loves being outside and I think he would enjoy seeing the scenery. The dogs are cocker spaniels, combined weight about 65 pounds.

So here are my questions:
    Do any of you have experience with trailers made to haul dogs (or kids I guess)?
    Would two dogs fit in a trailer made for one large dog?
    Is it a pain to connect it to the bike?
    Does the bike handle ok with the trailer attached?
    Is this a stupid idea?

Just looking for thoughts before I go too far down this path. I've looked online and found several that look like they might work.

DoggyRide trailer holds 120 lb

Another DoggyRide trailer similar but holds 99 lb

Croozer Dog Trailer

Trek'r Pet Bicycle Trailer

I'm a bit concerned about becoming the crazy lady down the street who takes her dogs out for a bike ride...

Tulip Pedal

This guy rode the whole 45 miles of the Tulip Pedal:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog trailer.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	3722   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dog trailer 2.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	77.5 KB 
ID:	3723  

Kind of off the subject of trailers, but I thought it was funny...

We see a guy every year (well, almost...we didn't see him last year) that does the Seattle to Portland with his dog in a backpack carrier. Yes, the kind you see people using for kids!! The dog seems to love it, but it's sure a funny sight!

Back to the trailers...make sure you 'seatbelt' your pooches in.
    Road Bike: 2008 Orbea Aqua Dama TDF/Brooks B-68

Ellen
    www.theotherfoote.blogspot.com

What a good dog

Here's the Tail Wagon but the others might work as well.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

A friend of mine hauled her Lab puppy in a used Burley trailer until she was a few months old. The trailer attached at the left chainstay, I think. People would do double-takes as she rode by or they attempted to view the cute "kid."

Dog Trailer

If you're the crazy lady down the street, I guess I will be too. I've been thinking about the same thing. My blue heeler, Bob, rides with me now, on a Walkydog (which attaches to the seat post), but when dh and I ride the tandem, we go faster. And the cocker spaniel has to stay at home. We've been thinking about doing some longer rides and out-of-town rides, but what to do about the dogs if we're gone long. The answer seems to be to take them with us.

dog trailer

i've ridden around with a few of my dogs for years. i used to take my mini dachshund in a wire basket lined with fleece fabric, even taking her on long distance tours. i've recently graduated to a trailer that i transport my whippet and italian greyhound together in. i bought a "wike" trailer and i really like it a lot, as do the two dogs. i put a fake sheep skin pad down on the floor and they seem very comfy, and they are securely harnessed to tie ins provided by the company. they look so cute, people just love seeing them, i get lots of smiles and waves. i get lots of room from passing motorists too; i'm sure they assume there are children in the trailer. anyway, wike trailers have different sizes of trailers and are very easy to hitch to the bike (or recumbent trike in my case). the trailer seems very well constructed. i found mine slightly used on craig's list! anni

Wow- I had no idea they made trailers for dogs. I know someone who occassionally takes her dog with her, but I think she uses one of the trailers designed for kids. Do your dogs get along well enough to sit still next to each other in a trailer?

Sounds like fun- let us know how it goes.

There's also the Wike trailer