Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Fairbanks?

Hybrid View

Fairbanks?

Anyone here living in Fairbanks? Would love to chat, thinking about moving...

There are at least a couple of folks from Anchorage on these boards, but I don't know about Fairbanks. I went to college in Fairbanks (graduated in 1997), but don't currently live there.

Nicole - while I don't live there and never have, I have traveled to Alaska a bit. I also work with a lot of people from Alaska, including Fairbanks. If you have any questions, please let me know and I can find out for you

I live in Anchorage but travel to Fairbanks each week for work during the summer. I'd be happy to chat.
    -Sarah

sarah is the knower of all.......
    "Forget past mistakes. Forget failures. Forget everything except what you're going to do now and do it." William C. Durant

I click here to help detect breast cancer.

I click here to help feed animals in need.

I play this game to help feed people in need.

Questions

Ok, Well here are some of my concerns....
    First of all, I am not a complete novice when it comes to Alaska. I have spend a cumulative of 24 months in Denali National Park over the last three years. I worked seasonally for one of the lodges there.
    Unfortunately, never got much north of there. I have been to Anchorage and the Kenai Peninsula countless times.
    I love the park in the summer and even the shoulder seasons, but I am really nervous about living year round in Fairbanks. The big question is how cold does it really get? I know Anchorage is far more mild.
    I love spending time in the outdoors skiing, backpacking, bicycling, hiking, etc... I can tolerate a variety of temperatures and weather, but...
    My fear is that it is going to be so cold in the winter and so buggy, hot, smoky in the summer that I will never get outside.
    When I live in Denali the smoke from wildfires was sometimes unbearable, we had to cancel hikes with our lodge guests. I know the smoke was coming from north of there, so I can only imagine.
    I love, love, love the idea of being in Alaska full-time. I am scared the mosquitos, smoke, and 60 below temperatures might be too much. How many days of the year would I really be dealing with these conditions?

Did you move to Fairbanks? I live here (20+yrs). We have a wonderful cycling community. Google "Fairbanks Cycle Club" to find our group rides. You could ride everyday, winter as well.
    commuter: a Giant Sedona '97
    road: Giant OCR c3 '08 | 105/Ultegra
    lusting a Sweet Pea A-line for when DH sweeps me out to sea