Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

A protein question

To disable ads, please log-in.

All right, I won't try to get too detailed, but enough for you guys to give me an honest opinion. I am not on any particular diet...I eat in moderation. I have a high metabolism so I kind of graze throughout the day. I also work out and ride a lot too. Anyways...

These last few days, I have been having bouts of headaches which contribute to nausea and going to the bathroom a lot (number 2!) Trying not to gross anyone out. For example, on Saturday, I ate Go Lean Crunch w/ blueberries and a lot of water before my 30 mile semi hilly ride. During the ride I had a couple of shot bloks, a little gatorade, and water. I felt great thoughout the ride and consistantly stayed at 14-16 mph. Afterwards, I finished the 16 oz gatorade and had a clifbar and more water.

When I got home, I had stuffed salmon, shrimp, and asparagus with a protein drink. This was about two to three hours after the ride. Approximately 2 hours after that, I started getting nauseated and had several bouts of diarrhea.

It occurred today too, but minus the ride and an addition of a headache. After my workout, I immediately had a protein drink, made scrambled eggs, an english muffin, w/ 2 pieces of bacon. I feel pretty good now, and my headache is almost gone. No nausea at all...unlike at 1 pm today through 6pm. I suppose I could have a bug or something, but I feel fine otherwise...no fever, sweats, etc.

Any suggestions?

Heather

How do you feel if you cut out dairy? And is your protein drink whey-based?

It might be worth a try.

Or does your protein drink have aspartame or maltitol or sorbitol or any other groovy artificial sweeteners? Those can do a number on the gut and cause headaches, too. Aspartame/NutraSweet does quite a number on me if I eat it.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2007 at 06:50 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

It sounds like you are ingesting to much protein. Your body can only handle around 30grams at once(I usually only take in abou 25 at once). So if you are having salmon,shrimp,and a protein drink you are overloading your stomach, which in turn can cause those exact side effects you are having!

With all that you are eating on your ride, I would have a recovery drink or a glass of chocolate milk, (you want a 3:1 ratio of carbs to protein after your ride). Wait a half hour or so and then eat some food.

GoLean Crunch gets it's higher protien content from the addition of soy protien. If your protien shake is also soy based, that might be your problem. I find that when I have GoLean Crunch, I am horribly gassy and I cannot use soy-based protien powder at all. I eat a very high fiber diet and I eat a lot more protien than the average person, but that cereal gets me everytime I buy a new box. Same for any snack bar with soy protien as the base. It doesn't work well with my digestive system unless I've slowly built up to it. I eat it so rarely (for other reasons) that I don't bother 'adjusting' my body to it, and just deal with the consequences. It gets my husband too.

If you are also having more dairy than ususal, it could be a lactose problem as well.

I'm still bettin my money on the soy though!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Talking

Thank you for all of the help! I will back off of the protein a little bit! I am feeling good today, but as you said GLC, Go Lean does make you a little gassy...ugh. But it is good and I like it so I guess I will have to deal with it.