Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

Detours Toocan pannier

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey all - I was wondering if anyone has tried this pannier.
    http://www.rei.com/product/749998
    I thought it might be a nifty quick grab-and-go kind of pannier for the commuter that might work well on tours, bagel-and-coffee runs and the like.
    It looks like it could do double-duty as a pocket book/tote for excursions off the bike, too.
    Does it go on (and off) the rack easily?
    Is the size okay for a day-trip worth of stuff (wallet, camera, maps/books, munchies, etc)?
    Thoughts? Reviews?
    Thanks!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

after reading the name i was disappointed to see the color. But yes, it seems perfect for a day's amount of stuff.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Yeah - I'm not too keen on the color. Performance has what looks like a different green (or maybe that's just my monitor) and a blue - but they're both out of stock.

I would be more inclined to get something like this: http://www.rei.com/REI-Outlet/product/758585

I have a dry bag and backpack from Seattle Sports, their stuff is very nicely made and keeps stuff dry dry DRY.

In a fantasy world where I can buy a whole bunch of bike luggage, I'd get the Seattle Sports deluxe trunk pack and the Seattle Sports road hog panniers (which are also on sale at REI-OUTLET)

My REI Novarra panniers have a cheap and flimsy attatchement system, and the pannier does fall off the rack when I hit bumps.

Nashbar panniers I had before stayed on better. Nashbar's Townie pannier/shopping bag is on sale for $13 right now. http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?c...%3A%20Bags

There are also trunk packs that have side pockets that will expand to become lightweight panniers when you suddenly have the need to carry more stuff. They have them at my LBS, but I can't remember the brand. The price is very reasonable, too. (I think Topeak makes one. Maybe Jannd also. It's a pretty popular configuration.)

I love having a good sized bag on my bike. It so nice to be able to bring along anything I think I might want, pick up some fruit at the farmers' market, bring a picnic, buy something at the LBS and not have to zip-tie it around my waist, etc. The carrying handle is a wonderful thing, any new panniers I get to replace my REI ones will also have the grab handle.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2007 at 07:43 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Oooh, here's a nifty trunk bag at Sierra Trading Post!
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,...cycle-Bag.html
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I was looking at that myself thinking it would be good for carrying clothes on the ride that I could then carry right into the shower room. I found it in blue or black at http://adv-cycling.org/store/category.cfm?Category=23
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

that is a nice blue.

Good pic of it on a bike - it's a lot bigger than I thought from the REI picture!

Yeah...it does look quite a bit bigger than I thought it would be .
    I really wish I could get my hands on one. I hate to buy things like this off the 'net without actually touching it and seeing what it's like. I like to poke and prod and work the zippers, you know?
    The trunk rack is nifty, but I think I'd want something that can come off the rack quickly and easily. I'm currently using Performance Epic Pro panniers, and while they're okay as long as they stay on the rack, they're a p.i.a. to remove.
    REI has the Toocan as a "net only" item - it's not stocked in their stores (I was at the Rockville one the other night).
    Sigh....
    Now...do I dare make that leap and buy "sight unseen"????

You could always order it delivered to REI near you, open it at the store when you go pick it up, and decide right then to keep it or not. Free shipping, free instant return!

I like that it's a bigger bag, and it looks mighty cool in blue.

Too wet around here for it, but Ortleib makes something similar that is waterproof. Might have to look into that if I work out my new commute... http://www.rei.com/product/737830?vcat=REI_SEARCH

(wheeee! Shopping for bike goodies!)
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2007 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    You could always order it delivered to REI near you, open it at the store when you go pick it up, and decide right then to keep it or not. Free shipping, free instant return!

(wheeee! Shopping for bike goodies!)
    That's a mighty big selling point for REI. But the green doesn't match my blue bike!!!

Yeah...I need (more) bike goodies like I need a hole in my head!