Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cool First Competitive (?) Race

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wanted to brag that yesterday I competed in my first race! It was a triathlon and I was on a team with two other ladies. We took third with a total time of 2:34:40. My cycling leg was a 40K sprint and I came in with a time of 1:09:36.6, quite good, I think.
    I can't wait to do another race--I'm considering criteriums. Any one have any good stories or tips for someone preparing to do one?

Woo!
    So many ways to suffer on a bike, so little time...

Nice! I can't wait to race, but it's gonna have to wait till next year. Oh well, got lots of time to practice! My stupid boyfriend is trying really hard to discourage me. Bah, I just wanna go have fun and if they're tearing down when I come in, whatever!

I might start with a few road races since there are tons around here, and if I get my road bike in Oct. I mean, I'll be one on all the time training for endurance. Seems a little nicer way to get my feet wet than MTB races. A few less hassles to worry about!

Soooo jealous, wanna go raaaaaaace!!!

love and cookies
    -smurf

Your boyfriend is discouraging you? WTF? Why would he do that?

Almost all races have a beginner category -- that's what it's there for.

Maybe you can really scare the crap out of him -- I noticed that mountain cross event at the Keystone Climax is free to beginner and sport women, probably because they don't get enough of those. Mountain cross is kind of like motocross on a mountain bike with four people on the track at once. Looks dangerous.
    monique

I've watched Mountain Cross races before and yes, scary would be the word to use there. I can't get the speed I do on a road bike from mountain riding. I just can't let go, no matter how much padding I've got on. I love the trails, but I'm the type to stop and check out the flowers or the banana slugs...
    I find that when I'm out on the road, I just zone and get into my body more I guess.

So, I think I'm going to check out a group that practices for crits. They ride around a lake and each loop gets faster and faster until everyone drops. It's a friendly ride. I think that's going to be my first step. Probably wait until next season to get in to crits.

By the way, any body ever tried mountain unicycling? That's pretty fun. I highly recommend that. Try www.unicycles.com for more info...

later gator.
    a. f.

Oh- I forgot that I wanted to add this-

Get out there and race, regardless of what any one thinks! Your boyfriend might be trying to protect you from getting hurt, but don't let him stand in your way.
    My boyfriend was out on every corner, practically- he knew the route prior- with his camera, snapping pics and loudly cheering me on in the race on Sunday. It was the greatest. He gets major points for that.

Maybe your bf is jealous! Mine is frothing to race now.
    Go out and get em!

A.F

Originally posted by admiral finch
    I've watched Mountain Cross races before and yes, scary would be the word to use there.
    Mountain cross is similar to dual slalom except it's head-to-head. Usually 4 riders go at one time on a course that does not have enough room for 4 riders! VERY agro!!
    By the way, any body ever tried mountain unicycling
    Last year I did a 24-hour race (cross-country mountain bike) and there were two teams of unicycles. One of my personal goals was to never be passed by one of them. They're amazing!

Originally posted by admiral finch
    My boyfriend was out on every corner, practically- he knew the route prior- with his camera, snapping pics and loudly cheering me on in the race on Sunday. It was the greatest. He gets major points for that.
    One my favorite aspects of mountain bike racing is seeing my husband at the top of a climb ringing his bell and yelling for me! It's the greatest!

Quote Originally Posted by admiral finch
    Just wanted to brag that yesterday I competed in my first race! It was a triathlon and I was on a team with two other ladies. We took third with a total time of 2:34:40. My cycling leg was a 40K sprint and I came in with a time of 1:09:36.6, quite good, I think.
    I can't wait to do another race--I'm considering criteriums. Any one have any good stories or tips for someone preparing to do one?

Woo!
    Congrats!

Great time on the bike!

I did my first duathlon (2 miles running, 10 miles biking, 2 miles running, 10 miles biking, 2 miles running)... in April 2005!

I had a great time... all though I HATE getting up before the sun rises!

Yea... I didn't do so hot... I'm not real competitive... all I cared about was NOT coming in last... but I did beat 10 people! 100 out of 110! HA!

It was so funny, I sent my Dad the pictures... and he was like, "Where are all the other people that are competing with you?"... to which I replied, "When you are 100 out of 110, you are pretty much alone."

Oh well.

I have a sprint triathlon coming up June 18, 2005 that I will be competing in. It should be a ton of fun!

Now, I need to get in more miles on my feet... I have been slacking!

Great! Bravo Admiral Finch!!!

And about the boyfriend thing, Smurfalicious (and others out there in hiding), I'd say "go for it!" anyway. I'm a bit saddened about the fact that my SO has also become only lukewarm about cycling since I really got into it (he's the one who introduced me). He thinks I'm a bit obsessed (and he's right actually, but it's not truly obsessive for the moment, DSM-IV-wise at least). But so what? I was trying to get him to ride a metric with me at the end of May and he's kinda 'We'll see', that really bugs me. As if I had taken his toy away (but this is not a zero-sum game!!!). Does this have to do with testosterone or something?

As for me, I'll register for the ride if I log on 500 more kilometers by mid-May. I don't want to go untrained.

Thanks for letting me vent off. I hate the fact that this is happening to me.

But so what? I was trying to get him to ride a metric with me at the end of May and he's kinda 'We'll see', that really bugs me. As if I had taken his toy away (but this is not a zero-sum game!!!). Does this have to do with testosterone or something
    It probably does.

Some men can't stand to have a women be as good as them... or better.

It's that whole, "I'm a man", thang.

My boyfriend is sweet and wonderful in every way... except he is an EXTREMELY POOR LOSER. He will work out with me occasionally, but it takes a lot for him to keep a good attitude about him, when I am running faster and can go further.

Come to think of it... I am glad that he doesn't share any other physical activities with me. I appreciate his effort to share my activities... but it's not FUN when he is all grouchy because he's "not as good" as I am.

It will be a long time before I'm any better than he is at any sport (and I'm not even sure I'm interested in being!). I'm just enthusiastic...

I got him to say a near 'ok' about the metric this morning, AND to admit that he's not trained for it and that maybe he should come and ride with me a bit.

Still, I long for female cyclists to ride with. I'm meeting with a group of people from a regional cycling board this weekend, I'll see if I can meet someone of similar ability and motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by admiral finch

Woo!
    Way to go admiral finch! It's addicting, isn't it? Check out this post for suggestions on what to do if you're considering a crit....

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2407

Let me know if you have questions - it can be a mind boggle at first! But if at first you don't succeed, try and try again!