Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hybrid View

Road Rash Complications - Options Now?

I've seached the topic and found nothing.

As I've posted, I had a wipe out on Tuesday. I'm allergic to neosporin, and used Bactracin...thinking it was different. Duh! If it looks like a duck...

Anyway, now I've got an allergic reaction and my road rash has festering blisters. Here's a nasty picture of it:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y16...g/100_0863.jpg

You can see the excessive redness and within that, is where the welts, blisters and itchiness resides. Reality is that the road rash isn't that bad, but the allergic reaction is unbearable.

So, I've discontinued the offensive ointment and am using Johnson & Johnson First Aid cream (which I know I can tolerate).

The question is how do I deal with the allergic reaction to expedite healing?

My preference is to use something topical because I don't like the side effects of something like Benadryl...

Thoughts anyone?
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Well, if it gets any worse... go to a Dr.

Otherwise, you should probably just leave it alone and let your body heal itself since you are allergic to stuff.

Give it air when you can.

Sorry about your wipe out man.
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather, to skid in broadside thoroughly used-up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    I agree with KSH about getting it checked out if it gets any worse and being careful what else you put on it. If the allergic symptoms are really bad, and keeping you awake at night, it might not be a bad idea to take the Benadryl a little before you go to bed (and then the side effect of drowsiness isn't an issue). As for giving it air, wounds actually heal better when you keep them covered and moist.

EDIT: If you've stopped using the offending ointment and made sure you got it all cleaned off, the reaction should hopefully go away fairly soon.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

epsom salts bath?

go to a first aide clinic, what are they called? (sigh) they are everywhere, and open on saturday.

But that leg really looks like it needs a soaking. I'm no doctor. strictly my opinion.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Just got back from the pharmacy and I looked at the pharmacist like she was crazy when she said that you can use benadryl ointment on an open wound...so I'm trying it now with dressings to keep it moist...
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

well, good luck. definitely keep it moist. The moister it is the faster the cells that repair the skin can move.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I was also going to suggest benadryl creme, so I am glad your pharmacist beat me to it. But, I would also take an oral benadryl at bedtime when you are going to sleep anyway, just to get the immune response under control. Then keep it clean to prevent infection while it heals. I would only use the benadryl cream until the allergy part is controlled, since the actual road rash may take longer to heal. A trip to a doc may not be a bad idea either. A friend of mine also thought she had just a tad of road rash, but it got infected and she was off work for a week with IV antibiotics. Even if your docs office is closed, an urgi care clinic should be open.

Mr. Silver,

As I mentioned in first reply to your post about your crash, I too am allergic to neosporin and get the same weepy, oozy, itchy rash you have now. My suggeston to you is to make a trip to the dr. (maybe an urgent care since it's the weekend - if you have insurance there will be a co-pay, but if not the out-of-pocket expense is not as high as an emergency room) to check for infection - better safe than sorry. Other than that, treatment of the allergy requires the prompt removal of the causative agent and then management as for any acute dermatitis/eczema; this may include application of topical corticosteroids and/or emollients (white petroleum is good). In severe cases, oral steroids may be necessary. In the acute phase, wet dressings may be required. Topical corticosteroids can then be introduced.

I am allergic to neomycin, so I can use bacitracin without a problem. Sounds like you are allergic to bacitracin - neosporin contains bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B. I feel for you.

ow ow ow

hope it's healing now. i have no advice, i am such a sook with things like that.

just sending healing wishes.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson