Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Man that looks crappy. Is it hot too?

I'll third the suggestion of soaking in a lukewarm salt bath, 2-3 times a day.

Are you sure it's a reaction to the ointment and not infection?

If you have allergies to certain antibiotics, may be worthwhile to get an injection.

Feel better!

MrS
    I wonder about your woollen suits you allluded to in another thread irritating the rash...

When my son crashed a few weeks ago, the nurse recommended Vasoline petroleum jelly to prevent scabs from going hard - but that was NOT for deep road rash.

When I had my first major crash a couple of years ago, the doctor put some sticky dressing on - it sounds a bit like the secondSkin Withm describes.

I don't know its medical name as I buy it from the chemist by the half metre, and not in a labeled box.

I've described it here before, and someone knew the name for it in America...

But its like breathable, extra-wide tape. You stick it over the whole rash area and it stays there - through sleep, through showers. The scab forms and heals underneath and in a coupe of weeks you take it off - using baby oil to ensure it doesn't undo the healing. The brand new skin will be very sensitive to sun initially, so be careful you don't burn it.
    No scarring... it was amazing (hence why I always keep it in the house now and use it for all grazes and scratches my sons bring home!)

Good healing, MrS

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    No advice to give, but I just had to say OUCHIE MOMMA!!!
    Read about your wipeout the other day, and felt so bad for you. Now having seen what it's morphed into has taken me to a whole new level of sympathy!
    I hope you heal quickly!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

I was also going to suggest benadryl creme, so I am glad your pharmacist beat me to it. But, I would also take an oral benadryl at bedtime when you are going to sleep anyway, just to get the immune response under control. Then keep it clean to prevent infection while it heals. I would only use the benadryl cream until the allergy part is controlled, since the actual road rash may take longer to heal. A trip to a doc may not be a bad idea either. A friend of mine also thought she had just a tad of road rash, but it got infected and she was off work for a week with IV antibiotics. Even if your docs office is closed, an urgi care clinic should be open.

Mr. Silver,

As I mentioned in first reply to your post about your crash, I too am allergic to neosporin and get the same weepy, oozy, itchy rash you have now. My suggeston to you is to make a trip to the dr. (maybe an urgent care since it's the weekend - if you have insurance there will be a co-pay, but if not the out-of-pocket expense is not as high as an emergency room) to check for infection - better safe than sorry. Other than that, treatment of the allergy requires the prompt removal of the causative agent and then management as for any acute dermatitis/eczema; this may include application of topical corticosteroids and/or emollients (white petroleum is good). In severe cases, oral steroids may be necessary. In the acute phase, wet dressings may be required. Topical corticosteroids can then be introduced.

I am allergic to neomycin, so I can use bacitracin without a problem. Sounds like you are allergic to bacitracin - neosporin contains bacitracin, neomycin, and polymyxin B. I feel for you.

ow ow ow

hope it's healing now. i have no advice, i am such a sook with things like that.

just sending healing wishes.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

Here's What I'm doing

withm: The closest Brave Soldier retailer is 150 miles away...but, I've accumulated an arsenal of similar ingredients. So, it might be easier for me to find Tim Tams than Brave Soldier

We went to the organic grocery and got Tea Tree Oil (the first ingredient in Brave Soldier). I've used this before and it has a natural antiseptic quality, albeit, a bit smelly.

I also purchased Califlora Calendula Gel.

The jury is out on these homeopathic remedies, but I'll let you know tomorrow.

I'm not inclined to go to the doctor...there's no sign of infection, no fever, and frankly, it's been my experience that most generalist docs don't understand skin afflictions well - particularly the ones related to allergic reactions.

Everyone, thanks for the great advice.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Mr. Silver,

Finally someone mentioned about tea tree oil. Before you go wild over the stuff use just a small amount to make sure you are not alergic to it. Also check for the concentration.

Mildly antiseptic?? My personal experience with tea tree oil was I healed much faster and mild infection cleared up much quicker.

I'm a firm believer in tea tree oil.

smilingcat

Roadraven

Roadraven..are you talking about Fixomull? (spelling might be off..) If it's the type of item i'm thinking of, i put it on any blisters & biking related cuts and it works.

Not sure if they sell it in the US ?

C

Quote Originally Posted by smilingcat View Post
    Finally someone mentioned about tea tree oil. Before you go wild over the stuff use just a small amount to make sure you are not alergic to it. Also check for the concentration.
    The good news is that I know I'm not allergic based on prior use. The only problem is the lingering camphor smell and its oiliness

I can't say that the califlora did much overnight. The dressings stuck to the wound, so I had to carefully wash them off this morning. I suspect that I'll be going with benadryl ointment and no dressings for the morning ride.

Overall, the allergic symptoms have subsided a bit, but I can't say it's for any reason other than removing the offensive ointment.

CVS sells the Spenco 2nd skin dressings. They will not stick to the wounds, and will keep the wounds moist, and you can wear them on your ride. You've got to keep it clean, moist, and covered if you want it to heal properly. If it dries, and scabs over it will be very painful, scar, and you'll be tempted to be picking at it as it heals. That;'s gonna hurt.

I've never used teatree oil for something like that but do use it for saddle achies. Did you get the oil? You can get it in a cream and soap too.

Love that stuff. Let me know how it works for the rash since I always have it on hand.

Mr - sending healing green and yellow butterflies so your road rash heals quickly and completely.

I admit it, I'm a fraidy cat and didn't look at the picture!

Be careful with tea tree oil, at full strength it will burn your skin. If it is a dilute mix that you have, the oiliness is probably from the oil it was mixed with.

For abrasions I used a product by Jason called Tea Tree Gel that contains tea tree oil, arnica, witch hazel, chamomile, all in an aloe vera gel. Not sure if this is appropriate for the nastiness of your rash!

Hugs and butterflies,
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

Thanks to all again. Very little improvement today.

I don't want to overstate the road rash, it's the reaction that is irritating.

Right now, I've placed a mixture of bendryl cream and Johnson & Johnson First Aid Cream and sealed it in with a couple of Nexcare second skin type dressings. I'm amazed at the limited number of options for folks with allergies to first aid treatments.

I probably should have used these pads first, but didn't find them in the right size. Now, I cut and overlapped a couple of pads and it's working well.

So, I expect that in the next couple days, I'll be back to normal.

Have a milkshake.