Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

or a Tim Tam

To disable ads, please log-in.

Unfortunately, I have 12 pounds of Tim Tams being delivered to Home # 2. They'll arrive on Friday, when I'm 120 miles away at Home #1. Darn! I messed that one up!

The injury is totally healed. The damage from the cure is absolutely terrible! It's nasty looking, itchy, rough, and not getting better! Ugh!

But, I've still gotten lots of riding in this week!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Well I may be a"novice" to riding, however after my wreck.....well...all I know is open to air (if possible) during the day with AB3. A good lathe of antibio with vaseline under non stick gauze and self stick ace bandadge... at night, so you are not dealing with the painful tape issue....Until 1 AM and you want to stratch your skin off. For 3 weeks, I lived in "he!! as I'm sure doesn't even compare to what some of everyone has gone through here.
    I hope you get well soon;....I FEEL your pain, ugh, it's the WORST the itchy scratchy stage is just so uch fun....but at least you are past the scabby nasty stage....HMMM oh yea, for a man that's " cool" .....awww how did you do that...
    For me....every man I've come across on the either says...."Are you ok, do you need help"...or from women...."What do you have?"......

Anyway...Mr Silver heal fast...!!!!!.

In addition to the aforementioned Spenco Second Skin, also look for Tegaderm by 3M, it's a fairly good occlusive dressing. Hopefully you won't have any allergic reaction to the dressing material.

And, seconding the suggestions for sea salt soaks. Add non-iodized sea salt to water at a ratio of 1 teaspoon per quart of water.

Late advice

I know you're likely healed by now, but...

You *had* other topical antibiotic choices. Silvadene, usually used for burns, can't be used on the face.

Bactroban (mupirocin), safe even with bacitracin allergy.

Topical benadryl is absorbed systemically, so if you're taking it orally be careful -- if you're putting the cream/ointment over a large area the cumulative dose can be hefty and make you pretty drowsy.

Keeping these clean and covered helps with cosmetic results. How'd it turn out?

Thanks for the late advice...I'm sure I'll have other opportunities to apply wisdom to road rash!

How did it turn out?

Today - nearly 3 weeks later - it's totally healed. The injury actually healed quickly. The allergic reaction took nearly two weeks to heal and even spread to other parts of my body...including the same places on the other leg!

What finally got me over the top on the itchy rash?

Well, besides removing the allergen (bacitracin and the bandage adhesives), I used:

Coal Tar Shampoo...Yep, I got high concentration coal tar shampoo - the kind that's used for dandruff and seborrheic dematitis - applied it straight to the allergic rash with a Q-Tip for about 10 minutes at a time (avoiding the new skin at first). This caused an effoliation that really relieved the itching and scaling and gave me relief almost immediately.

For the future, I'm going to have a couple of tubes of brave soldier on hand. In reviewing the ingredients, the base of tea tree oil (which definitely helped me in this one) makes be willing to drop a few $ in preparation for the next incident.

I didn't look at your picture either... I have my own roadrash to admire. And wounds with stitches. But, 3 weeks to heal... even with your allergic reaction? That's not too bad. That's great that you're healing so well!!

I have a cracked clavicle, I can't reach my itchy scratches. I was thinking that eventually when it heals a little more, I might try using a little aloe.

My stitches come out next Friday. We'll see how it goes then.

I hope that you continue to heal and I hope that you never need to worry about this again!!!

Though, if you crash again... I'm on #2... My friends suggest a safer hobby like skateboarding or the rollerderby.

SilverChiropractor (a serious cyclist) says with proper nutrition and nurturing, road rash can heal in 5 to 7 days. BUT, he also admits going 25,000 miles without a fall!!!

BUT, MORE IMPORTANTLY:

Hammer, OMG!!!!

I just found your ride/crash report. Sorry for a late response, but WOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    We finished the last bit to our town in an ambulance. The emergency crew had to take our bikes back to the rest stop we'd past so that the SAG wagon could pick them up and take them to our last destiantion. We couldn't get them, because by the time we got there, the bikes were locked in a truck. Our friends said the bikes were fine. Our friends also said that the ride wasn't 100 miles, but actually 106.

Anyway. I ended up with 8 stitches in my elbow, 2 in my knee and a cracked collarbone. I did pass out in the examining room after they put the collar on me. My fiance was there.
    Sounds like you were fortunate. I surely don't want to put my minor problem in the same category as yours.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!!

Thank you... I didn't want to hijack your thread!!! My wounds are healing pretty well. They aren't really oozing anymore. It's only been a few days and we still see progression. I've been sleeping more and trying to eat well too...

Part of me thinks I'll go back to running for awhile, but yet I am thinking about when I can get back on my bike too. My spirit must not be down too much.