Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: terry precision

To disable ads, please log-in.

KnottedYet, thanks, now I understand about the saddle and I'll look for that book.
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Quote Originally Posted by surgtech1956 View Post
    Let me see if I have this right. From the bottom of my foot(floor) to the crotch area is just almost 30 inches. I put a book - maybe too big of a book and it measured 26 inches. Does this sound right???
    Now I'm lost. Both with this "big" book at 26 inches, and then you said a hardcover novel got you 26 1/2 inches.

How did your inseam decrease 3 1/2 to 4 inches?

Using a book or board to squish the soft tissue out of the way so you get a boney landmark measurement should've made your inseam measurement increase.

Here we can fall back on A+P again. What we're looking for is pubic symphysis to distal surface of calcaneous. The book and wall are just a way of isolating pubic symphysis to bottom of calcaneous. Do what you need to get that measurement in weightbearing, and then you can use that to assess the standover height with regards to a bicycle's top tube.

Edit: are you holding the book horizontally or vertically? Got a broom? Use the broomstick intead. Mash that critter into your pubes holding it horizontally like it was the top tube of a bike. Measure from the top/upper/high/pressing against your girlie-bits/closest-to-the-sky edge of the broomstick to the floor. That gives you the standover height of a bike that would crush your girlie-bits but not bust your pelvis open like a walnut. (aka bicycling inseam, aka absolute no questions asked do not pass go do not recieve $200 upper limit) If you don't want a bike to mash your bits every time you stand over it, get a bike with a SMALLER/lower/closer-to-the-ground standover height.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-02-2007 at 05:08 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

That's a really pretty Terry, but I agree that you need to be really sure about the size first. I'm 5'2.5" with a 28.5" cycling inseam, and my 17.5" Terry Isis was a perfect fit for me. At 5'5", you sound too tall for this bike. If your inseam is really as short as mine and yet you're 2.5" taller than me, you probably have a long torso and will find the cockpit of the bike too cramped. You'd need a longer stem for sure. The price is phenomenal, though, so if it stays that low, you might want to buy it anyway -- you might be able to sell it for more than you paid if you are willing to ship it. An LBS will normally box and ship it for you for about $50 (not including the actual cost of shipping), so you might make money on the deal... Good luck, and keep us posted!

Emily
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

KnottedYet, I am so embarrassed. I really am a newbie. I was putting the book so that it gave me clearance. Now I know what you were talking about measuring. So I would say its 29 1/2".
    2006 Trek 7100

If your cycling inseam is 29.5 then you definitely need the 17.5" frame for standover clearance. I agree with Emily, the cockpit may be too short, but that will depend on the lengths of your femurs and arms, and how aggresive a position you want to assume on the bike, none of which we know. BUT, putting a longer stem on is easy and relatively inexpensive (~$29, nitto technomic comes in a lot of sizes to dial in fit http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.asp?PART_NUM_SUB='1173-10'), and will only improve handling as I think the stems on those bikes as supplied are too short (I always put longer ones on) so again given the apparent good condition and good price, I think its a good bet. Again, what about my suggestion of driving out to test ride prior to bidding?

29.5 bicycling inseam meets 27.5 standover top-tube.

I'd say 2 inches of clearance sounds pretty fine. Especially at that price. For a STEEL TERRY! (I have less than that on my Surly and Waterford, but I have a very long torso and long arms and the geometry works for me) If you need a bit longer reach once you get the bike, it's not a difficult thing to get a longer reach stem.

And at our age (eh-hem) being a little more upright (slightly shorter reach frame will do that) isn't a bad thing.

I'd still get that Terry. (except that it's too small for me and 2,000 miles away... )
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

My hybrid frame is 15" and seems fine - I think sometimes I'm in between sizes, my mtn bike was a 17.5 and seemed too big. I'm going to try the adjustment on my saddle(thanks KnottedYet). I can't go before the auction ends and look at the bike. I guess if I win it and it doesn't work out - I can just resell it on Ebay. Thanks girls, I'll keep you posted.
    2006 Trek 7100

If you get it and can't make it work for you, I'd sell it here on TE or on the Terry site before Ebay. Sell it to an audience who knows what it's really worth! (If I didn't already have 2 steel bikes and weren't 2,000 miles away I'd happily pay up to $400 for that Terry. $500 if I was madly in love with it.)

Don't get too caught up comparing size numbers between a hybrid, a mtb, and a road bike. They are all going to have unique personalities and unique fits regardless of numbers.

Just buy the damm bike!!!

[QUOTE=surgtech1956;208506]My hybrid frame is 15" and seems fine - I think sometimes I'm in between sizes, my mtn bike was a 17.5 and seemed too big. QUOTE]

The mountain bike may have been too big cuz the top tube was too long. An advantage of the small front wheel is that it will have a more proportionally sized top tube. I think you can't go wrong on it. If it really doesn't fit you can probably make money selling it either here on TE or at the terry website.

Didn't win the auction. The Precision sold for $380. I'm sure its worth it. I'm watching a few bikes. Terry must not be that popular of a bike?? Thanks for all your advice and info. I really appreciate it.
    2006 Trek 7100

Terry is a very popular bike among women who know bikes. Georgena Terry started the entire "WSD" wave. And she is a VERY cool chickie, riding like a demoness even with one leg in braces. (I think it was polio, but I could be wrong on that.)

You know those "cut out" saddles everyone talks about? (guess who?)

It's very sad you didn't win that Terry.

Here's some info about Georgena Terry.
    http://www.engr.uiuc.edu/communicati.../blowtorch.htm

Listen to the "Queen of Cycling" herself:
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=6577627

Georgena Terry is number 19 on this list:
    http://www.bicyclenewswire.com/index...&cid=46&id=132

This is an old article, but it's good. You'll note that Prestige Cycles in CLINTON TOWNSHIP MICHIGAN is mentioned. If you have any questions about Terry bikes, they might be a good resource, and they aren't too far from you.
    http://archive.southcoasttoday.com/d...6/c01li096.htm

Here's a little something from Team Estrogen:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/se_terry.html

I have admired Georgena Terry for years. She is one of my heroes. Back in the old days I used to save her catalogs and read them over and over again.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2007 at 03:47 PM.

KnottedYet - Thank you so much for the links. OMG she is such an amazing woman. I had no idea who she was. She is like the 'martha stewart of women's bicycle'. I 'googled' her too - I liked the part that her employees are 90% women and the men are in the warehouse lifting heavy boxes.
    2006 Trek 7100

Martha Stewart?

Well, I'd put her more as Thomas Edison or Alexander Graham Bell. Susan B Anthony.

Your right. Bad comparison.
    2006 Trek 7100

Well, she might be a cycling legend, but a couple of years ago, in one of the Terry newsletters or catalogs, she let off with some political opinion. It was very uh, right wing. This was not the place for her political opinion and not just because I disagree with her (it was really pointed). I wrote an email and got a "formula" response from her. But, I never saw any more of that again. And, btw, I adore Terry clothing and buy it almost exclusively.

Robyn