Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dermoid Cyst

Dermoid Cyst

To disable ads, please log-in.

I learned yesterday that the source of my back/pelvic pain is most likely the result of a tennis ball size dermoid cyst which is attached to my left ovary. Both the cyst and the ovary will be removed laproscopically on June 12. Has anyone undergone this procedure? What should I expect?

Doc has told me I'll need to stay off my bike for three weeks but I'm hoping it will be shorter recovery time. I'll be allowed to drive three days post-op but not allowed to lift anything heavy. I am relieved to finally know the source of my pain but a bit nervous about this outpatient procedure.
    Marcie

Marcie,

I've gone through that twice but neither surgery could be done laproscopically. After the second surgery (which also included a hysterectomy), I was back on my bike in two weeks. It was totally unauthorized and I couldn't lift my bike off the car, but I wanted to do it. I had a 6" incision too.

I think you will be fine. Please don't push it and listen to your body but it won't be too horrible. I noticed that my stamina was way down due to the anesthetic; I think that took me almost a month to get rid of!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I know you're in good shape from riding and that helps so much too.

Oh, tell the kitties not to climb on your stomach for a while, especially if they do that kneading thing with their paws

I had an endometrial ablation (aka Novasure procedure) done laproscopically and was climbing on the roof cleaning out the gutters three days later.

You'll probably have abdominal muscle soreness from the two tiny incisions through the muscle wall but for me it was a quick recovery. And the best surgery I ever had!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Thanks guys, I feel so much better after reading your posts. I'll just be glad when they remove the tennis ball from my lower gut and the pain is gone.
    Marcie

Actually, I was going to mention about the anesthesia side effects too. That will actually take longer to clear your system than the procedure. As for the size of the cyst, you should feel immediate relief but don't take that as a sign that you can do more than you should. The most important time is the week following the procedure. That is when most of the base healing will take place. If you are a very good little girl and follow directions, you will back on the bike in no time. Good luck with the procedure and let us know how you are doing.
    Oh, that's gonna bruise...
    Only the suppressed word is dangerous. ~Ludwig Börne

Red face real advice!

Hi Makbike,
    its fine to think you will be able to drive in 3 days but just make sure you can do an emergency stop (especially if your abdo is still tender!!!)
    Also remeber that although you have had the laparascopic procedure done you still have had major surgery inside to disect the dermoid cyst from where it is adhered to ( I am a midwife now and used to be a surgical nurse)
    Please listen to the advice of your surgeon and listen to your body too.
    It is possible to have a hernia if you strain your incision following surgery and this would make your recovery even slower
    so be patient and you will be back cycling sooner than you think

good luck with the op

Scarlet
    Life is Great!

John O'Groats to Lands End 1000 miles+ 12 days July- August 2008

http://www.bhf.org.uk/sponsor/sandrascyclingJOGLE

I had a similar procedure but a slightly bigger cyst. If you search the forum you'll find a couple posts about it.

It was in my pre-cycling years though.

I suggest that you take it a little easier than you'd like after the operation, as the side effects can be sneaky. I was operated on a Monday and had a doctor's order to stay home for ten days. On the Thursday, I went teaching, which was fine, but I decided to talk home - an energetic 20-minute walk with a few kilograms of groceries in my hands and a laptop computer on my back - and I was back in the hospital on the weekend with a fever, all-over muscle soreness, and fear of an infection. It turned out that I was okay, but it could have been worse. I could have been just a bit more careful...

Good luck! You'll feel much better after the operation!!!

Remember everyone has their own recovery rate and everyone else will tell you not to push it. I won't tell you that because I got on my bike the first time 10 days post surgery (abdominal hysterectomy, removed one ovary with cyst, cleaned up endometriosis, long incision) and 15 days post surgery I was back to bike commuting. (I posted a funny story about that a couple days ago.) Of course I did this despite dr's orders to the contrary. I was supposed to wait 6 wk.

While it was no fun undergoing that kind of surgery at my age (31 at the time, 2 yrs ago) the upside was that my age & fitness made for a fast recovery.

As of this week, I can now also say that one can bike the day after one's colonoscopy. At least with a brooks saddle!

Marcie, is this the problem that you thought was a gall bladder problem a couple weeks ago?

Geez, I get amazed at these huge cysts that people can have. When we met, you weren't big enough to have a tennis sized anything inside you! Me on the otherhand, I can have a watermelon sized cyst in me and pull it off well

I'll have the 12th on my calendar and will fire a prayer your way. Wishing you godspeed in recovery!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

Humm, just a word from the wanna-be wise:

Infection is not something you want to end up with. If you get laparoscopic surgery, it's unlikely but could happen if the wound doesn't heal well and quickly enough. If you would turn out to get a full incision (I doubt it, but it can happen), the risk is higher.

Post-op infection can not only be very painful, but cause you all sorts of long-term problems, or kill you. So you want to be gentle with those wounds.

I do encourage starting exercise earlier than you're supposed if you're up to it, but do go slow enough to hear whatever your body has to say before it's too late, if necessary...

[QUOTE=Mr. Silver;208335]Marcie, is this the problem that you thought was a gall bladder problem a couple weeks ago?QUOTE]

Actually the doctors found this quite by chance. They had sent me to the hospital for a CT scan to rule out other upper GI issues. They, for reasons I don't understand but am grateful for, ordered a full abdominal CT scan. The CT scan revealed that the lining of my stomach was "extensively thickened" and that there was a mass in my pelvic region.

The stomach doctor they sent me to thinks I may have picked up a bad virus and advised me to take care of the tumor in my lower abdomen first. I went for an ultrasound on Wednesday at which time it was confirmed and surgery was scheduled for the 12th.

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes.
    Marcie

Wow! And with all this going on, you rode the Horsey Hundred!
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I simply figured it was best to keep myself busy. Riding kept me from playing the "what if" game given at that point all I knew was I had a growth which scared the living daylights out of me! Also figured the endophrine rush would not hurt either.
    Marcie

Marcie (I love your avatar so much!) -

I am so sorry you had concerns when you were riding. I'm glad you were riding, of course, because it'll make your recovery all the easier. Honestly, I think you'll go through it and think "is this all it was?" and be back on your bike far sooner than you think. Just, as people have said, be careful. The anesthetic whupped my backside pretty good and it tends to whenever I have surgery. Some recovery things are subtle too...healing takes energy. Just be nice to your body, realize it needs you right now, and don't get frustrated. I had jaw surgery a year ago and I'm just now coming around from it! Growing bone is difficult! There were good days then I'd have expectations and be frustrated because the next day wouldn't be better.

I'm so glad you found out what the problem is though. And if you want really perverse and icky reading, check out your pathology records after I did after the first one.

I bet anything after this you will be ok, not in pain, and riding as well as you were before you took the unexpected hiatus.

Teigyr

Thanks for the compliment about my avatar. It is a picture of my buddy Penelope. She was one of three kittens my dogs found in my shed last year. They were a week old when I took them in (feared my dogs would kill them and felt mom had abandon them). She is a wild girl with a ton of personality.

The long rides last weekend actually helped to lift my spirits. All I knew at that point, according to my doctor, was they had discovered a large mass in my pelvic region - no more, no less. As is human nature I started playing the "what if" game. In reality the worse part was trying to figure out if I should tell me parents or wait until I had the ultrasound and talked directly to my doctor the following week. I simply did not know how to handle this so after the ride on Sunday I called my oldest sister for some good old fashion sisterly advice. I knew she would be honest with me and help me figure out how to best handle the situation. So after two good days of riding, a great endorphrine rush and talking to my sister I felt mentally stronger.

At the moment I'm not worried at all about my upcoming surgery - I'm simply ready for them to remove the growth and ovary and begin my recovery. I know I have a huge circle of friends and family saying prayers for me and that too is a giant comfort.

I've been reading about dermoid cyst, teratomas or "monster tumors" this week. The pictures are rather gross but also pretty cool - amazing what they find in these growths - hair, teeth, thyroid tissue, etc. Nature does some strange things is all I can say.

I'm going to be okay and I know it. Life is good this I know. Whatever comes my way I'll handle as best I can and if necessary I'll put up a good fight.
    Marcie