Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Greyhound Juice...Bag Balm??

To disable ads, please log-in.

So I was reading an article in the new bicycling mag last night and it had the above balms listed to either use on your bum or on your chamois. So, my question is are you suppose to put this stuff on your chamois and if so how often?

I apply the stuff to the body; not the clothing. I don't know what anyone else does.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I put balm on my bum for longer rides. (I don't use Bag Balm, but it's similar) One application before the ride. I put it on fairly thickly on the two spots I know get a bit red on longer rides.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

That's what I figured so I was surprised when I read in the article to check with the manufacturer before you rub it on your chamois as it may break down the material.

Jenn, that sounds right. The petroleum in those balms will break down latex-based materials. So it probably won't hurt the spandex, but it will depend on what the chamois has on top.

-- gnat! (Loves the BagBalm on the bum, before any ride longer than an hour, and once right before bed after a shower)

Well, I hate to get too personal, but will the balm help my "girly bits" from getting so irritated. Last weekend I actually bled a little bit from the "irritation" and I wore my PI sugar knickers that I love, it was only a 2 hour ride. DH and I are going out for a couple of hours this weekend and I DON'T want to get sore like that again.

For that you might want to use Astroglide. Somewhere there's a recent thread talking about the success of Astroglide for this issue.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Am I the only person who actually applies these to the chamois ? I use either Bodyglide or Assos cream, which I believe are both petroleum free... Question for those who apply it to body and not chamois -- did you try applying to chamois first, and find that applying to body was more effective, or did you more or less arbitrarily choose an application site (as I did), then it became habit?

Wondering if I should experiment -- but it actually works pretty well to apply to the chamois.

Which brings to mind another good word- "slather"
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

My sitbones are so wide that they don't generally land on the cool new streamlined "flex" chamois, anyway. (I land on the outside edges/seams) It's only the sit bone spots that get a little red and rough when I ride, so putting the balm on the chamois was never gonna reach where I needed it.

I'm probably one of the few folks who miss the old diaper-style chamois. THOSE were wide enough I didn't land on the outside seams!

Quote Originally Posted by liza View Post
    Question for those who apply it to body and not chamois -- did you try applying to chamois first, and find that applying to body was more effective, or did you more or less arbitrarily choose an application site (as I did), then it became habit?
    At first I did body and chamois, and I felt as slippery as eels screwing in a bucket of snot. When I put it in the chamois, I couldn't tell where it was going... it looked like it was all just getting absorbed or something, so I put more and more on until it was shiny. Maybe that was my problem.

I like body, because I can strategically put it right where I know my hot spots are. Finally, after about two weeks of consistent use, my butt doesn't look like it has acne.

-- gnat!

Am I the only person who actually applies these to the chamois ? I use either Bodyglide or Assos cream, which I believe are both petroleum free... Question for those who apply it to body and not chamois -- did you try applying to chamois first, and find that applying to body was more effective, or did you more or less arbitrarily choose an application site (as I did), then it became habit?

Wondering if I should experiment -- but it actually works pretty well to apply to the chamois.
    I apply it to the chamois, and because I inevitably squeeze out too much, the extra goes on the body.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

Lance applies it to the chamois. So you're in good company. I've only used Chamois Butt'r a couple of times but it did help. Applied to self, not chamois since I knew where my hotspots were. Since I got my new saddle I haven't had that problem though. But it also could be that I've gone from PI shorts to Nike shorts. The chamois in the PI shorts scored me so bad. The Nike chamois is so comfortable...I bought out the ones in my size from the not so local LBS. My LBS doesn't carry Nike.
    Last edited by li10up; 05-31-2007 at 09:36 AM.
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

Has anybody tried diaper cream?

Unless I'm mistaken, Greyhound Juice is embrocation (heat cream) that you apply to your legs, so I wouldn't put it either on my chamois or my girlie bits!

I personally use Beljum Budder -- it's paraben free! And I apply it to my skin, not my chamois.