Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh, I guess the cycling guy is home for the summer! I have a 2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon. When I took it for the fitting the girl commented that it was a similar geometry to the Ruby.

The Cannondale was my second bike and I new what I was looking for in a feeling, so I didn't try anything else because I loved the Cannondale. I SHOULD have though. The Ruby Expert was the other bike I was strongly considering based on the components and reputation. Good luck!
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

The 2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon is one sweet bike too! A friend of mine got one. I picked it up and I knew right then and there I was getting rid of my Allez and getting a carbon bike. It was SO much lighter! From what I recall the Cannondale had higher end components on it than the Ruby Pro for quite a bit less...but I couldn't have the same bike as my friend's now could I?
    As we must account for every idle word, so must we account for every idle silence." ~Benjamin Franklin

I just test rode the Ruby Comp - first all carbon that I've been on & was surprised at how much road noise transfered thru the bike. Was expecting to be won over by carbon, but wasn't. Also tried a Felt Z65 and That felt like butter.

Does anyone know what size bike a 5' 6" woman would normally ride? The guy yesterday told me the 54 was too small for me and that he would see if he could get a 56. Today the shop owner called me and said that for my height a 56 is way too big. He said his wife is 5' 9" and rides the 54. Now I don't know what to think. Is he just trying to sell me the bike he has available or was the other guy wrong? I'm so confused

Jelaine

It'll help to get a paid-for bike fit done where they take all your measurements... not just eyeballing you & seeing if the stand over height 'looks good.' Short of that, riding both & feeling what works would be a start.

I'm 5'8 and my Ruby test ride was a 56 - but I also know my seat height should be 28. I wouldn't be comfortable going down a size.

Your leg length-upper body can vary a lot with same height individuals, so it would be a good idea to have a fit test. Try out bikes at other LBC even if you don't plan on buying from them. It will give you a better reference point to know good fit from bad.Try not to let your lbc make the choice(size) for you. I know it is hard to resist the new bike now syndrome but be very sure it is the best fit and bike for you. Have fun shopping!

I would be hesistant to go with the shop owner's opinion based on height. His wife may not be as leggy or have a longer torso, etc...

I am 5'2" and am not built like every woman who is 5'2". The other guy said the 54 seemed too small, I would trust his opinion more because he was there! After having a Serotta fitter adjust my bike, I am convinced they know their stuff. Maybe the LBS has someone who has been to the Serotta class? As much as you want to support the LBS, don't let them talk you into a bike that doesn't fit. I wanted to support the shop I had been using for years and ended up with a half-a** fit. Ironically, this is the same guy who fit my first road bike perfectly. Okay, off the soap box.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Thank you all so much!

I have called another bike store that has both a 54 and a 56 in the Pro; so, I'm going to go out there and ride them both.

Here I rode an Expert 54 and a Dolce 57. It was hard to compare the two.

I am trying really hard to resist Bike Fever, but it isn't easy.

Jelaine

Oh the 2007 Pro is one of the hottest looking carbon bikes I have seen. I LOVE my frame, but if I could have afforded the Pro it would have been a hard choice. Have fun test riding!
    Amanda

Hi!

Have you looked at any other bikes? The Ruby is absolutely fantastic...but don't limit yourself. There are lots of carbon fiber bikes out there...they're all going to fit differently and vary in price. I got a Trek 5000 this spring for less than $2K and love it. I think the components are comparable to the Ruby's.

You have LOTS of options! Don't focus in too early. I wasn't terribly interested in Treks when I started shopping and wound up with a bike that fits like a glove and rides like a dream!

Just my two cents. HAVE FUN!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

I am 5' 7" and I ride a 54, so I guess it just depends. Get a professional fitting if you're not sure.

Happy shopping!
    fides quaerens intellectum (faith seeking understanding) - St. Anselm of Canterbury

I love my Specialized

Hubby and I just bought our first road bikes - been where you've been!!
    I have the Dolce Elite. I loved the while & purple. Rode the Ruby and it was awesome - just too much $$ for our first bikes.
    I'm 5'4", and am on the Medium frame (about a 52 I guess). One shop wanted me to get the Small Frame, another said I could even go to the Large. I was most comfy on the medium, so that's what we bought.
    My best advice is to be patient, ride a lot of bikes, and go with the one you love.

Well, I did it! I bought an Expert in a 54!!!! I got cleats, too!!! I was a little nervous about clipping in and out but so far so good. By the time I got my bike home today it was too late to ride very much but I am really looking forward to my ride in the morning!! I LOVE MY NEW BIKE!!!! Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!

Oh, and did I say WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!!!

VVVVVRRRRROOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

Thank you all so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

Jelaine

Smile

Yippeee! Yahooo! Woopeee! I have a Ruby Expert and I love love love my Ruby. Congrats and pics when you can.

Congratulations! Happy riding!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896