Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    Riding!
    Yay! When I first met him it was right after his heart attack. He followed CAR 7 all the way to LA in a convertible. Such a lovely man.

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    Yay! When I first met him it was right after his heart attack. He followed CAR 7 all the way to LA in a convertible. Such a lovely man.
    Chicken Lady has ridden nearly every AIDS ride, is a very strong rider. Does the ride on a mountain bike. I've heard that he started the "tradition" of stronger riders repeating a climb to encourage the slower riders when he did a climb on the New York ride some 20 times or something like that.

He could ride in much earlier but he still stays with the back pack and enjoys the rest stops.

On Day 3 of ALC 4 I rode with him from that flat section along the strawberry fields up those *&^% nasty short steep narrow roads and on to rest stop 4.

We didn't talk much but he was so encouraging and to all those at the back of the pack.

The day had turned cold, we were getting headwinds, misted by industrial sprinklers, sandblasted with dirt ....we both got to rest stop 4 which was closed.

I had a choice of turning around and doing the last miles but when I saw that Chicken Lady was taking a ride in I didn't feel so bad and that was the only day I SAG'ed that year.

Here's a good picture of him in his trademark harlequin glasses from the Specialized web site. I think this is either rest stop 1 or 2 on Day 2.

Another Chicken Lady tradition is the night of Day 6 he (along with some help from other riders) puts a plastic egg on each riders bike. The morning of Day 7 we crack open the eggs and ride. Inside the egg is a saying, this years was

"To leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition. To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded. R. W. Emerson. You have done an "egg"celent job. Applaud yourself!! The Chicken Lady."

Oh, I don't know the name of the guy on the right, but I'm pretty sure I've seen him on ALC 3, 4, now 6 (so probably 5 ). He rides with his son, a lovely guy, his son told me that he trains by riding to work and they look forward to this as a family vacation each year.

http://www.specializedriders.com/blog/1/post/show/138
    Last edited by Trek420; 09-11-2008 at 10:50 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Love it! None of my Chicken Lady shots are digital. I've got him in a very tastefull miniskirt, with the trademark glasses and chicken bag. He is a good soul.