Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

unless the system has changed, the messages get printed and put in binders and the riders have to hunt through them to see if there are any messages for them.

Oh, bummer. I was under the impression they got 'em. Well, she'll still get em if she goes and looks for them.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Trek saw the doc and sports med in camp, had some stuff done to her foot, and rode 20 miles today. She *is* getting the messages everyone is sending her, and really loves them. They lift her spirits, and she said to thank everyone!

She is worried about tomorrow, it's a tough ride day. I'm hoping she doesn't push it too hard.

i keep telling her that riding in the sag wagon is *still* riding the ALC, and I'm so proud of her I could just bust!

DoW and family are in camp tonight to visit with Trek and UK Eliphant. Trek is in the mechanics' tent to get a flat fixed (tire messed up, needed new tire and tube) and might go to the medical tent again to get her foot treated again. (if the tape comes off in the shower she's s'posed to get that part redone) I don't know how much she'll get to see DoW and family tonight.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-05-2007 at 06:58 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Here's a map of the route - they're in Paso Robles tonight I think....
    Last edited by snapdragen; 01-06-2008 at 04:47 PM.

Yep. We stopped by the camp when we reached Paso Robles. We were headed another hour down the highway, but it was a good time to stop for a leg stretch anyway. Found the campground right away by following signs to the fairgrounds. Then we found UK and Trek's tent thanks to 1) I heard UK mention their tent site number, and 2) I looked for the stuffed flamingos (really cute ones!). Nobody answered our "knock" at the tent door, so we IM'ed them both to say how cool the flamingos were. Got an IM back from UK "Where are you? I'm at the food tent." Just as we got there, we met Trek coming out from dinner, headed to check on her bike. We admired her taped foot, gave her hugs from all on TD, noted her sunburned face, that she wasn't limping, that she seemed fine with taking her ride easy and sagging in as soon as her foot started complaining, and that she was in good spirits and having fun. Then we went in and found UK. Also met Sean, with whom she did a couple of training rides back in Essex.

So ... all is well with at least those two riders. Didn't happen to run into any other TE'ers, though there is at least one more doing the ride.

Tomorrow we plan to find a point on their path from which to wave and cheer as they ride by. Some staff folks recommended the "Evil Twins", but that's too far back up the road. We won't make it there before they've passed by. So we'll wait for them down near Pismo Beach instead.
    We'll IM them where we are once we're in place.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

sunburned!?! SUNBURNED!?!?!?!

Yup, I'm a nag. I just text messaged my dear Trek to PUT ON HER SUNSCREEN!!!!

I'm glad she wasn't limping. (I think if she was hurting to the point her gait was effected, the docs would probably consider pulling her from the ride.) As long as she is good about stopping before her foot gets really bad, then I guess I can stay semi-calm for the next 3 days. Maybe.

If she puts on some SUNSCREEN!!!!

Not badly sunburned. Just a bit of glow on her cheeks. Could be wind as much as sun. I know she's careful about sunscreen and such. So is UK (redhead that she is) and she too had some windburn yesterday, but not enough to cause me worry, and I'm her Mom, after all

They're fine
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Trek didn't ride today.

She and another injured rider set out tents in tonight's camp instead. (hey, you "B" area tent residents, your tents are out cuz of these two injured folk)

She's bummed, but being careful so that she can ride the next 3 days.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-06-2007 at 07:38 PM.

Trek had her foot worked on again, and is going to try to ride tomorrow. She says the sag wagon hauling is not good for her bike, and really doesn't want to sag wagon again. She says she's still not feeling well, but has been careful to drink a lot and eat. She sounded a whole lot more chipper!

On a sad note, there have been two crashes caused by families rushing onto the bike route to cheer their rider. (other bikers crashed trying to avoid hitting the family members)

Maybe it's a good thing I'm not down there afterall... (naw, I'd be volunteering in the sports med tent and I'd get to work on my sweetie's foot! She said the doctor in medical told her the same thing I did, the PT in sports med didn't do as nice a job as I would, and the massage therapist who worked on her wasn't as good as me. Wow, talk about pumping up my ego! I think she's just doing it so I'll work on her extra hard this weekend... )

Well, that wasn't us. We stayed on the sidewalk. Cheered all who rode by (including some who were locals commuting, some campers hauling panniers, and ... well, just anybody on a bike). Also chatted with folks in a couple of support vehicles, who smiled, waved, even thanked us for coming out to cheer. When "our" rider found us, she immediately lifted her bike up onto the sidewalk for a chat. We were also at a spot where we could get back on the freeway without driving along the ride route. So no interference with the bike lane. Just smiles all around. We took lots of pics, and some asked if they'll be posted. It finally occurred to me to say I'd find a way to post them and put a note on my sister's page -- rider 4223 (UK's rider number is harder to remember). So I'll need to coordinate that with Trek next week.

Fingers crossed that Trek's foot is fine tomorrow!

It would've been me! I'd've gone running out there and bowled Trek right over, scratched Menace, made the next 3 bikes crash, and generally caused all kinds of havoc!

I'm subtle that way...

Honestly, I don't think I could've contained myself. (and if she went by and didn't see me, I'd go running down the road waving my arms and screaming and probably knock over a few riders AND a few cheering folks!)

I would like to see ALC someday. Even better would be to volunteer in sports med. We'll have to see what the future holds.

Trek rode part of the day, and now she's getting her foot worked on again.

How are Trek's spirits? That has to be so frustrating. I rode that ride back in '00 (I think) and had to sit out a bit due to heat problems. It was very mentally painful to watch the other riders come in as I was aimlessly setting up bike parking.

Knot, you should go see it some time, it is really inspiring. I still have a whole album devoted to that ride. You see things like your able-bodied truck driver with an HIV+ bracelet....and look at the fact that he is hoisting all your crap just so you can ride.

I just got off the phone with her, she's watching the talent show in camp. She's in pretty good spirits, honestly I think partly because I'm flying down to meet her in the airport when she flies home day after tomorrow.

It really bothers her that she hasn't been able to ride much, but I think she's having fun anyway.

She was telling me about a fight (ok, intense emotional discussion) she overheard between a couple who were trying to do the ride together. Like "staying near each other" together rather than "I'll meet you at the next rest stop" together. I think if my goal was to stay within sneezing distance of my partner, I'd rather be on a tandem. (and if my sweetie had a broken toe, she could spin and I could steam along and we'd make it)

Funny Trek story: (even when she's hurting she's still a hoot!)
    She told me she was riding behind a guy who was giving great signals (car up, car back, slowing, turning, etc.) and he called out "bump" for a little bump in the road. She used the same tone of voice and called out "steel bike, doesn't matter".

She was wearing her TE Hill Slug jersey yesterday, and lots of other ALC riders really liked it. And she says she got to pass someone on a hill yesterday while she was wearing her Hill Slug jersey.