Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Heard from Trek at the ride start and opening ceremonies. She said it was too early in the morning and no coffee! So I'm drinking a nice French Press cup of freshly ground coffee for her... yup, I'm so supportiive!

They are doing 89 miles today to Santa Cruz.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I got the same message. At like 5am! Hey WE didn't have to wake up that early to no coffee! But then, I could have turned off my cell phone and got the message when I woke up and switched it on again, so that was my own fault.

Haven't heard anything since. Guess they're on their way and doing fine. I don't expect to hear anything more until they're in camp at Santa Cruz.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Latest news! Lunch at 50 miles.

newsflash! Latest just in by IM from UK. I quote:
    "Lunch. 50 miles. Only 40 to go. So far so good. All climbing done. Mostly flat from here."

I think she may be surprised about the climbing yet to go. They've probably got several shorter but pretty steep hills still before Santa Cruz. But the big hills for the day are done. And I'm guessing that Trek and UK are near one another at this point, since they all set out together and it's hard to get sorted by speeds on the first day, there being so many riders all in a group.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Got text message from Trek:

"Sigh. Climbing 92 and then 37 got me. 1 mile short of Stop 2 the sweep vehicle made me get in. Guess I didn't look too great. But tomorrow is 110 ish. Rested, I feel fine now. Damm."

It sounds like 92 and 37 are roads, and the hills were too much. If she was taken to camp, then I suppose she'll have the tent all set up and be ready for when UK arrives.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Another text from Trek. I had sent her one asking if she was in camp.

"Yes. I'm waiting for gear to be unloaded. In shade with water. I don't feel bad. There are people who skipped this year because it's harder this year. I did the hardest part of Day 1. Tomorrow is a flat century."

Text from Trek:

"Dinner. Eating and drinking lots. Tent is up. A little more food, then shower and bed. UK Eliphant must still be on the road."

Edit: text from 6:30:
    "UK is in camp. Day 1.... done."
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2007 at 05:43 PM.

Yes, UK made it. She wrote:
    I made it! Time to get the gear and get showered. Feeling achey but pretty good considering I just did 90 miles.

Sorry to hear Trek got pulled off the route. The hill up 92 is biiiiig! Just thinking about that hill is one reason I hesitate to sign up for this. Previous years they've had the west side to coast down again and recover before doing rollers (some of them pretty steep ones) along Hwy 1. This year, at the top of 92, instead of continuing down the other side, they turned south and continued to climb along "Skyline" for a ways. Tough route! (though a pretty one) If Trek got pulled off that route, then lots of other folks must have been pulled too!

They went up highway 92? Good grief. That's a busy road.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

"They went up highway 92? Good grief. That's a busy road."

Hwy 92 down to Half Moon Bay is pretty dangerous as it is narrow in spots. Cars aren't very friendly to cyclists either so I suspect that is why they changed the route.

Also, Hwy 1 down to Santa Cruz is no picnic either due to the traffic. However, by doing Skyline, they miss getting a lot of publicity in Half Moon Bay and beyond. That was where I had my first encounter with the ride many years ago. I remember how touched I was by seeing all of these cyclists on their way to LA. I saw the ride twice this way and finally in '05 did the ride. It was a challenging week mentally and physically but I'm glad I did it!!!! (TREK was my tent partner that year!)
    Last edited by Bike Goddess; 06-04-2007 at 04:27 PM.
    Nancy

Veronica and I rode Highway 1 northbound from Santa Cruz up to Moss Beach (north of Half Moon Bay) a couple of months ago, and I didn't think it was bad at all. Hiway 1 has fairly wide shoulders. A little too congested for my taste around Half Moon Bay proper, but not bad.

Then again, it was just the two of us, not a cast of thousands ...

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Heard from Trek. She got picked up by the sag wagon after about 65 miles. She's not feeling good, and her broken toe is really causing her some pain. She's getting discouraged.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Heard from Trek. She got picked up by the sag wagon after about 65 miles. She's not feeling good, and her broken toe is really causing her some pain. She's getting discouraged.
    Poor Trek!!
    But 65 miles is a LONG LONG ride!!!!! It's over 100k!!!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dita has been a mentor and inspiration to many other riders over the years. If this were another rider, I can imagine her saying something like "you've accomplished the most important aspect of the ride -- raising the funds. just do the best you can do everyday and if you SAG, contribute in other ways like cheering in riders, setting up tents, etc."

So Knotted, pass that message onto her for me, okay?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa S.H. View Post
    Poor Trek!!
    But 65 miles is a LONG LONG ride!!!!! It's over 100k!!!
    That's what I IM'ed her too, when I got her message. I only do metric anyway, being European now, so to my mind she did a century and then some. And that after doing that loooong steep climb up 92 and then instead of coasting down to Half Moon Bay continuing to climb and climb and climb up Skyline (Hwy 35). We drove that way today just to see what they'd done and I don't see how I could EVER do that! No matter how many years I train for it!

I can't actually phone her with my cell phone. Only IM. So Knott, I'm counting on you to re-encourage her.

I'm text messaging her, too. Though we did actually TALK to each other for a couple minutes today. Sigh. (don't want to wear out her cell phone batteries while she's unable to recharge them)

If anyone (Velogirl?) wants to send her a message you can do it by clicking on the link in my signature line. Enter her rider number 4223. Type in your message, and then submit it. The ride crew prints the messages up in the evening and gives them to the riders in camp.

I just got a text from Trek saying she saw a doctor in camp about her broken toe, and he sent her to the sports medicine tent. (Physical therapy.) They were closed, but she promises she'll go in the morning.