Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: good signs..

good signs..

To disable ads, please log-in.

I saw a middleaged guy on a new bike complete with helmet yesterday. From his
    posture, I am sure he's never been on a bike before. Maybe he decided enough was enough?

and I saw these two kinda stupid billboards yesterday... what do you think?

Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I hope she's not driving while she writes on her face in lipstick......
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I was driving when I saw those signs and did NOT notice there were the words that mentioned bicycling. I think most folks are going to see those bill boards and think WTF? and keep on going ... clueless!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

Too much space devoted to the photo instead of the message. I thought the first one was a cosmetics ad.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

The ads totally do NOT do a good job of promoting their cause. The first one looks like a lipstick ad and the second, well looks stupid to me. BUT, at least they're trying to get the word out, even though they could do a better job of it.

Not too fond of the ads, but hopefully the bill in our state assembly mandating a 3 foot pass cushion for cyclists will pass. A few traffic tickets should help people remember!
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I don't know... the ads could be confusing if you don't know what they're after, but I commend them on at least trying to get the word out. You'd never see signs like that around here (why inform motorists of minor things like the law?) Sad, because we actually passed the 3 feet law last year- not that it was made public info or anything. I didn't find out until last month that it passed last May. Hey- way to get the word out...

Chastise me, but I kinda like the ads.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

This is pretty new for us too, but Seattle likes to think it is progressive, so maybe we're setting a trend!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA

I saw those signs and didn't even realize what they were for! I was the clueless Seattle resident who didn't even realize there was a 3' rule. I think the ads, while I love the sentiment, are ineffective for that reason. It's great that it's out there but they seem a bit busy and the average motorist will have no idea what they mean.

It's a start though though I think they could've done way better!

Might be ok if they were a TV ad that explained what they were about....... but the billboards? Yikes!! How many people are going to realize what they are trying to say? Good intentions, not good results, IMHO.

Annie
    Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived." Captain Jean Luc Picard

Good point, Annie. They might be funny on television, but they're dreadful for billboards.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Well, to give a nod to the advertising company.....
    The point that they are (perhaps initially?) trying to drive home is...
    3 feet.
    3 feet.
    3 feet.
    Simple message.
    3 feet.
    That is the point they are hitting you over the head with a 2 x 4 - and in that respect, it's pretty effective.
    But what does 3 feet mean?
    It plainly means something to someone in a car, because the pictures are taken in a car.
    It is then, that you come to the conclusion ... 3 feet....space between car and bicycle.
    Would it be more effective to show a picture of a car next to a bike with "3 feet" spray painted on the car? Probably not. Folks might interpret that as - bikes keep 3 feet away from cars (not the other way around...which is the point of the board). That would just add fuel to the fire of "bikes off the road."
    So, me...I'd give the ad a "B". It's a hard message to get across in one picture. "A" for effort...."C" for execution. "B" total score.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Only problem is that most drivers are going to stop that mental processing at "three feet." They're not going to ask, "what does 3 feet mean?"

As a *bicyclist,* the lipstick ad is easy to comprehend; it's a cut at the make-up applying drivers with the "3 ft" in there, too. If the drivers were going by at bicycle speeds, some of 'em *might* get it. The designers of the ad, alas, seem to have made an ad to reach themselves, not their target market.

On the other hand, often times these kinds of ads - if there are enough of them - create an image on the brain and if something happens later to explain it, it's received well. I don't think it's going to ever get meme status like "where's the beef?" though

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post

...As a *bicyclist,* the lipstick ad is easy to comprehend; it's a cut at the make-up applying drivers with the "3 ft" in there, too. If the drivers were going by at bicycle speeds, some of 'em *might* get it. The designers of the ad, alas, seem to have made an ad to reach themselves, not their target market...
    Have you ever been to Wal-Mart?
    There's your target market. These are not going to be very effective ads.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I actually just saw the lipstick ad earlier this week when I had to visit Renton officepark hell. It got my attention and I liked it.