Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Saddle Adjustment or Chamois?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I rode 23 miles yesterday and the last thirteen were very uncomfortable.

Part of the time I was reminded of the advertisment for the Honda Element ("I peench") , it was my chamois talking.

The rest of the time was spent wishing the saddle had less of a nose.

I moved the seat further back. I would have liked to angle it down but that didn't seem to be an option. Or else I just couldn't figure out how to do that.

I've also been wondering if my shorts are just too large. They don't feel super-snug and sometimes the back of the chamois catches the seat upon mounting.
    When I finished riding I noticed my chamois was visibly askew.

so many things going on here I don't know where to start.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

sounds like the shorts are too big.

My too-big shorts get a second life as liners, then they can't catch on anything and they feel nice for the kind of short rides I do while wearing regular clothes.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I've had the shorts issue, too. I used to buy X-Large because I just couldn't stand the feeling of constriction, especially the elastic at the bottom of the legs. But then I was constantly tugging at the crotch to keep the chamois from bunching and shifting. I finally broke down last year and bought a pair of Large shorts and wow, did it make a difference. No more bunching and chafing, and best of all, no more manly crotch grabbing!

Funny, too. On one of the rides I did last fall with fellow TE-ers, I mentioned having to buy new shorts in a smaller size, and everyone assumed it was because I had lost weight. I wish!

Also, if you're feeling like you need to angle the nose of your saddle downward, you might consider raising your handlebars with spacers on your steerer tube. Once the saddle's dialed in, you don't want to mess with it too much because that can affect your knees and pedal stroke. If you've still got saddle pressure, though, raising the bars will help take your weight off the nose.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

I got the spacer, I got smaller shorts, and I'm still miserable. It's that lousy stock Bontrager saddle. Brian ordered a Liberator and a Zero for me so I can compare them side by side. and he said he would provide the same guarantee that TE does. What a guy!

Um, Zen, this might be a dumb question - but do you shift around and stand occasionally?

Its just sometimes when I do 40-50km rides, I get to 30/35kms and realise I am damned uncomfy and register I have been seated virtually the whole time and everything is squished and sore and bruised-feeling...

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Constantly. My new nickname should be "Squirmy".

I think a new saddle is in order, I shouldn't feel miserable after only 10 miles.

Good to know that Brian's generous with the return policy on saddles. I'll have to file that away for future reference...
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Just something that worked for me...

I used Chamios Buttr for everthing but the girly bits and astroglide for them. All parts were happy with the arrangements. Worked wonders on the chafing issue.
    Slick!
    Pun intended

why didn't you say it was a bontrager saddle? they ARE AWFUL!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.