Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Northeast Ga

Northeast Ga

To disable ads, please log-in.

Do any of you ride in Northeast Ga?

Jessie

I live in Atlanta and do most of my riding around there. Occasionally, we will head up to Dahlonega to get some hill training in.

What part of Northeast Ga do you ride in?

I live in the Gaiensville area. I have a "city" bike. Not a true road bike but not a mountain bike either. How about you?

Jessica

I've never ridden in Gainesville. I imagine it's even hillier than Atlanta is since you're closer to the mountains.

I do all of my riding on a road bike.

Well it is just neighborhood riding so far for me. It is pretty hilly around here but I think it is good training. I would like a little more flats so I can concentrate on my riding form more. Right now my biggest concentration is getting up the next hill. I did make it up one of the hills that I had to push the last two times. I am learning to work with my gearing more. Where in Atl. do you live?

Keep working at it and the hills will get easier with time. You're already seeing some progress if you made it up a hill that you had to walk on before!

I live in the Brookhaven part of Atlanta. If you're not familiar with it, it is northeast, outside of the city limits but still inside the perimeter.

North, South, East, or West? I haven't heard of that before but I have lived in East and West Ga. The hills are definitely killer around here. We went on a group ride with a local club yesterday and I just about died. It was great though. I did have some issues with my handlebars coming loose and we had to call in our "Trek Support" but after that all was well. I have been riding with a friend that is a former cycling enthusiast. I am not sure why he quit maybe marriage and kids and owning his own business but he is back into it now. I guess once you go bike you never go back. Anyway we need to come up with a little bike support carry all for our next time out. I know they have several loops around here if you are interested I could try to get you some maps. One is in Pendergrass which is off of 85N.

Jessie

Brookhaven is northeast, just outside of the Atlanta city limits. I'm close to I-85 so it would be easy to get to rides up 85N.

Congrats on your first group ride! I'm glad you were able to get some support to fix your handlebar issues. It's definitely a good idea to carry some basic tools with you just in case.

If you know of a link to some online maps, it would be cool if you could post it. We've got a lot of routes that we do around Atlanta but sometimes you get bored and want a change of scenery.

Beth

I hope this works! I have attached the map for the Pendergrass loop. Enjoy. If I ride it any time soon I will let you know what it is like.

Jessie

Hmmm, it doesn't look like the attachment worked. Do you know of a place that it's posted online that you could just post a link??

Well I tried again with no success. I could email it to you if you like?

Brookhaven rides

Hi Skibum, (thread hi-jack in progress)

I'm working on expanding my Brookhaven loops, so if you have a fav that you're willing to share...

My current ride is up North Druid, behind Marta station, around the Capitol City course to Club, then out into the Silver Lake area, up and back, then out into the Stratfield neighborhood off Ashford Dunwoody (which is either downhill or uphill, with nothing flat!) and then loop back through to get home. It's about a 23 mile loop, but the Stratfield part gets boring.

Any recommendations? I ride alone, so I'm trying to stick to safe areas, and I'm also not very comfortable on very busy roads (as if North Druid wasn't busy!)

Thanks!

Brookhaven rides

My favorite Brookhaven ride is to follow the route for the Atlanta Cycling Wednesday night Brookhaven Loop group ride. I like it because it's well-marked so it's a no-brainer for directionally-challenged people like me. Since it's designed for a group ride, it also tends to stay away from main roads and high-traffic areas.

The ride normally starts in Vinings, crosses town to Brookhaven, circles Silver Lake and then goes back to Vinings. Here's a link to the map and the cue sheet .

I'm starting from Dresden Rd. when I ride in Brookhaven so I just cross Peachtree Rd., turn right onto East Brookhaven Rd (by the golf course) and continue from there. The turns are marked on the pavement with a 'W' (for Wednesday night ride). When you get to the point where you are supposed to turn right from Mt. Paran Rd. onto Northside Pkwy/Cobb Pkwy, just u-turn and head back up Mt. Paran.

The total ride length is about 23 miles. I did it today but added a section of a ride called the Buckhead Bellyache (you'll see some 'B' markings on the pavement for this) for a total of 33 miles... nice ride.

There is a new group ride that starts at the Cycleworks shop in Roswell and passes through Brookhaven (you'll see some 'CW' markings on the pavement for this). I haven't tried it yet but will probably check it out soon just for a change of scenery. I've heard it's a challenge though, they found as many hilly sections as possible and linked them together.

Happy riding!
    Beth

Pendergrass loop

Waverly said:
    Well I tried again with no success. I could email it to you if you like?
    I sent you a PM with my e-mail address if you would like to try to e-mail it.

Hi Skibum,

I've been seeing the 'W' markings, and the yellow chevrons. I need to get up my nerve and just start following them. I tagged along with the CW ride - that's how I discovered the Silver Lake neighborhood. Lived here for 17 years and never knew that was there!

Thanks for the help!

See ya in the neighborhood!