Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snakes

Snakes

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am new to the riding thing, and the other day we were out riding and I saw something lying in the rode ahead of me. (I was riding a 4+ mile loop around my neighborhood) I didin't think much of it except the need to dodge it (not quite as graceful as I would like to be....have fears of breaking my head) anyway as I got up on it I saw that it was a snake and as it was striking at me I was moving farther away from it. Anyway I thought it was kinda cool. It was a poisonous snake called a Copper Head they are reasonalby common around these parts. It was very pretty though a neat coral colored design along the back.

Jessie

I've seen a few rattlers out on the trails here in Phoenix, but never really thought I'd encounter one on the road. However, I've only been doing road rides for a couple months, and about a week ago I was startled when I nearly ran over a snake sunning himself on the side of the road! The rule is, the first person doesn't get bit. The first person scares it, it gets coiled up as the second goes by, and the third person gets the strike. I ususually ride 3rd in my Sunday group, and when the leader yells "Snake!" I hit the brakes!

The rule 'round here is look before puttin' your foot down. The baby rattlers are coming out onto the road now ... ran over one yesterday. Didn't see him laying there until it was too late, poor thing. I've seen several in the last week, most no more than eight inches long.

On the bright side, we don't get larger reptiles here ... read a thread over on BikeForums recently started by a guy who saw a log in the road up ahead while he was leading a paceline, then realized that it was an alligator!

Now I know why I live in Maine!

Actually, I think that would be kind of cool...once.

Gaah, snakes! Lets go back to the posts where people wrote about squirrels and antelopes!
    Why are snakes so freaky? I actually like trail riding in the cool and cold better partly because I fear them so much.

I'm VERY glad I live in Maine. I would probably be so busy watching the snake that I would fall right on it! I would much rather deal with a moose in the woods; at least they don't attack people (at least almost never!). And the bears usually avoid people!

It's not the snake part that bothers me so much as the "poisonous" part. I figure if I surprise the poor little bugger enough for it to protect itself, I don't want to be on the other end. I think moose can be grumpier than snakes, after all, they are A LOT bigger with a lot less fear. Now , back to squirrels.....crazy little kamikazes.

Just exactly why do squirrels hate bicyclists? They seem like they really want to kill us. I've had more squirrel scares than dog scares.

I once had a squirrel try to take out me and an approaching speedster by darting in front of both of our front wheels. That could easily have been spectacular, 'cause we were both at speed.

And it pays to keep an eye on the local rabbits, too.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Aside from my dog that tried to tag along on the first few rides and the snake I have never had any other trouble with wildlife. We do have some crazy squirrels around and the occasional turtle.

Great next I will run over some poor turtle and probably go crashing to the groud!

Snake Charmer Extraordinaire!
    Jessie

Originally posted by MomOnBike
    Just exactly why do squirrels hate bicyclists? They seem like they really want to kill us.
    So funny, but so true! What is it with them? I have encountered kamikaze squirels both mountain biking and road biking. So what's the proper defense for the cyclist? Keep your line? Aim for his head? Aim for his tail? The theory of aiming for his tail is that by the time you get to where he is, he will have run off. But those suckers do that quick-stop-turn-go the other way move that always puts them exactly in the wrong spot!

Yes, what is the proper technique for squirrels? I'd like to find out. They are so quick and unpredictable - and just the right size to "trip" the bike that they really do scare me.

So far prayer has worked. I wear a helmet as backup, though.

(It just occured to me that I really have it pretty good if all I have to worry about is squirrels - as opposed to say, bullets - when I ride.)
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

may not work with moose, but

The way I deal with squirrels (after much trial and error) is to just keep going in a straight line and not even try to avoid them. If I swerve to try to avoid one the little bugger just manages to dart right in front of me again anyhow, and by then I might be off balance enough so if I did hit him or try to swerve again I'd go kerplunk. So may as well keep the odds in my favor and stay on course, so far all they've done is play chicken with me and dart out of the way at the last moment. Haven't hit one yet, thank goodness ...

There was one day hubby and I were out riding and the squirrels were being especially aggressive. It was right after we watched one of the Pyrenees stages of the Tour on TV, so we started envisioning the crazy squirrels darting in front of us wearing little orange T-shirts shaking their little paws at us (w. some of the ruder ones flipping little squirrel birds at us) squeaking their tirades as we navigated through the rowdy crowd ... hey, it was a funny visual

*ahem*

Back to snakes!

On the trail today, I heard a sound I couldn't identify, then saw a snake slithering past me just at the point where trail meets grass. I managed to say, "Whoa!" or something. Hubby was right behind me. Afterwards, he pointed out that it was a rattler (that was the sound) and that he'd appreciate it if I let him know I'm loosing a snake on him. Whoops. That could have ended a lot worse than it did.
    monique

My husband and I saw a largish Copperhead (poisonous) on the road when we were out riding yesterday. Thankfully, he had met his maker before we got there.

On a more positive note, I saved a small three-legged turtle crossing the road on Saturday, and hubby saved a larger one (with all four legs!) yesterday!

Emily in NC

coyotes anyone?

If I get out early enough I can usually spot a couple of coyotes out in the fields or crossing the roads. They are usually high tailing it though, never have posed any danger.

How about tarantulas? I just hate big hairy spiders!!! If one were to jump my way I would probably crash into something getting out of it's way. I guess we all have our fears.

Arachnaphobically yours, Donna

PS. Snakes don't bother me at all. With a biology and nursing degree I can pretty much tell which ones are safe and which ones are not. It does freak my girls out that I will pick up a grass snake by the tail and throw it over the fence. My big Maine coon cat will play with them also.
    Last edited by bentforlife; 08-25-2004 at 12:32 PM.
    They're cute when they're little. Then they grow up and they're just ug and dumbly. Quote from my daughter