Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by LBTC View Post
    Rock n Roll was good lube, but required more time and effort to lube the chain properly - you really need to follow the instructions completely.

His methodology: clean the chain thoroughly, wipe all excess water off. Apply lube, link by link, and run the chain through a few times. Let stand, preferably over night. Before riding, wipe all excess lube off of the chain.
    ????? Personally, I find self-cleaning lubes like Rock'N'Roll to be much faster and easier. For one thing, you don't have to clean the chain first. I basically do exactly what your DH does, except that I skip the first part described. And I don't apply the lube link by link. I just apply a continuous flow of lube along the chain as I freewheel, then freewheel for another 20 or so cranks, let it sit at least a few hours or overnight, then wrap a rag around the chain and rotate the cranks until there's no gunk or excess lube on the links.

I'm inherently lazy. Trust me, if this weren't an easy process, I'd be ridin' with a gunky, squeaky chain

*The Lube Queen steps down from her soapbox*
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Just lubed my new Surly's chain. Ok, I'm bad, I should've done it last week when I got her... cuz we all know the "lube" that comes on a new chain is useless and isn't really lube.
    Really? Where did you get that information. I was told the opposite by a bike shop mechanic, that it is an extremely high quality lube, and that you shouldn't remove it until the chain was dirty from use and required cleaning.

I read it in a thread about chain lube, either here or on BikeJournal. Rust inhibitor for shipping and storage vs. lube for riding.

Kalidurga and LBTC, where did you guys hear that the new-chain stuff was bad?

Maybe nice chains come with nice lube on them, but whatever was on my Surly was nasty sticky thick gritty honey-like goo.

I felt guilty that I hadn't cleaned it off as soon as I got the Surly home, it was quite yucky. I don't think I damaged anything by riding on it for a week, but at least it's in much better shape now.

A clean chain is a joy...
    (so is a clean house, but I'd rather clean my bike! )
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 06-03-2007 at 05:05 PM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Kalidurga and LBTC, where did you guys hear that the new-chain stuff was bad?

Maybe nice chains come with nice lube on them, but whatever was on my Surly was nasty sticky thick gritty honey-like goo.
    My LBS tech asked what sort of lube I wanted him to use when he installed my new chain, and I told him that I was planning to use Rock'N'Roll on it. He didn't say the factory-applied lube was bad, but he did suggest that I clean it all off so that I could start with a totally bare chain. The goo on mine wasn't gritty, but it was definitely sticky and waxy, kind of like White Lightning's dry lube. I just wiped off every bit of it that I could with a rag and q-tips, then lubed it up.

A clean chain is a joy... (so is a clean house, but I'd rather clean my bike! )
    Ain't that the truth!
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

It was the dirt sticking to the gobs of honey-like goo that made it gritty. It was a dirt-magnet. I was even picking dog hair off the chain! Bleh.

Of course, the dog hair was just floating in the air when it got slurped up by the ravenous amoeba-goo... and that's not a sign of good housekeeping.

Does that mean I should clean my house so that my bikes stay cleaner? Maybe that would motivate me to run the vacuum once in a while.

Do it for the bikes!

(now if I could just figure out how cleaning my bathroom is good for the bikes, we'll be golden!)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I was using an average chain lube (Purple Extreme brand) for my first 2,000 or so miles. I found I had to apply it every few days or my chain would squeak. Also, chain got very black and grimy all the time.
    Now I have switched to a dry teflon lube (Finish Line brand) and I like it much better. Seems to last longer, the chain runs quieter and moves smoother. I don't see much dirt and grime sticking to the outside of the chain anymore like before, so it is staying cleaner.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's what freaked me out about the amoeba-goo, junk was even sticking to the OUTSIDE of the chain! Certainly not what was happening with my other bikes and their Boeshield'ed chains.

Lisa, does the teflon stay on well in rain?

That's what freaked me out about the amoeba-goo, junk was even sticking to the OUTSIDE of the chain! Certainly not what was happening with my other bikes and their Boeshield'ed chains.

Lisa, does the teflon stay on well in rain?
    The lube comes in a typical plastic bottle that you squeeze/dribble on the chain as you rotate the chain. The teflon is suspended in a liquid medium that evaporates a little while after it seeps into the links. So you put it on like regular lube, wipe off the outside of the chain, the solvent medium evaporates, and the teflon stays inside the chain.
    I only rode once in the rain yesterday, seemed to make no difference.
    My chain AND chain rings seem to be staying cleaner than with the old lube.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I find self-cleaning lubes like Rock'N'Roll to be much faster and easier. For one thing, you don't have to clean the chain first. I basically do exactly what your DH does, except that I skip the first part described. And I don't apply the lube link by link. I just apply a continuous flow of lube along the chain as I freewheel, then freewheel for another 20 or so cranks, let it sit at least a few hours or overnight, then wrap a rag around the chain and rotate the cranks until there's no gunk or excess lube on the links.

I'm inherently lazy. Trust me, if this weren't an easy process, I'd be ridin' with a gunky, squeaky chain.
    That's the same process we follow, and we've never had a problem. DH and I have used White Lightening from day one, have over 10,000 miles on our bikes, and couldn't be happier with the way the product performs.

I'm with ya on the whole laziness thing!

We try to lube/clean the chains after every second or third ride, definitely after every long one. Perhaps it's more of a preventive thing for us, and we definitely don't have to ride in the sort of dusty, dirty conditions that some of you do. The worst thing we have to deal with is all the sand and grit deposited on the roads by snowplows in the winter. Takes forever for the spring rains to wash it to the berm, but then it lies in wait as devilishly evil pools of crud wanting nothing more than your attention to wander for a split-second so it can grab your rear tire with its dastardly claws and start reeling you in.

The guys at our LBS swear by White Lightening. Both times we purchased bikes they were emphatic about the need to thoroughly remove the factory goo from the chains before the first application of whichever product we chose to go with.
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Sheldon Brown has this to say about the factory lube on a new chain:
    <<Factory Lube
    New chains come pre-lubricated with a grease-type lubricant which has been installed at the factory. This is an excellent lubricant, and has been made to permeate all of the internal interstices in the chain.
    This factory lube is superior to any lube that you can apply after the fact.
    Some people make the bad mistake of deliberately removing this superior lubricant. Don't do this!
    The factory lubricant all by itself is usually good for several hundred miles of service if the bike is not ridden in wet or dusty conditions. It is best not to apply any sort of lube to a new chain until it is clearly needed, because any wet lube you can apply will dilute the factory lube. >>

I left mine on for the first 1,000 miles, and that seemed to work just fine. When it first started squeaking, I took off my chain, cleaned it thoroughly with citrus degreaser, and put my first lube application on it generously.
    Lisa

Talking Quick lube question

I too, have never heard or experienced using more than one type of lube ta a time. Like most of you, I used White Lightening and had lots of problems with buildup... however what I soon realized is that I wasn't wiping enough of the excess lube off... that is where the all the grit came from. If you're concerned about not being water resistent than try the White LIghtening Epic.

I too, have used Boeshield and Rock-n-Roll, and liked both of them but simply preferred the White LIghtening.

Quote Originally Posted by ridebikeme View Post
    ... however what I soon realized is that I wasn't wiping enough of the excess lube off... that is where the all the grit came from.
    We've been told that's the trick to using White Lightening and similar products -- you can't remove too much!!
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    ????? Personally, I find self-cleaning lubes like Rock'N'Roll to be much faster and easier. For one thing, you don't have to clean the chain first. I basically do exactly what your DH does, except that I skip the first part described.
    Okay, so I had to ask DH why he thought RNR lube wasn't good.

It's not that it's faster to apply the dry lube link by link, but that we use so much less! (we *are* on a budget!)

He found the RNR was great in really wet conditions, but we don't get those much.

And he found the colour of the RNR lube made it look like his drivetrain was dirty. He doesn't like that!

As for the factory lube on the chain...the few times our conditions are not dusty, they are wet, so the little caveat in Lisa's quote backs us up on this one. The factory lube also makes the drivetrain dirty, and my clothes, and my legs, etc etc etc.

What can I say? Maybe we are all about how it looks.

Hugs and happy clean rolling chain butterflies to you all!
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com