Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Hey ya'll & props to the LBS guy

To disable ads, please log-in.

Just wanted to say "Hey!" I've been lurking and learning over the last little while and thought a post was in order.

I recently moved to the Florida panhandle and figured that since the weather is so nice year round, I can't make excuses anymore for not being active and outside more. Since I have a gimpy foot and some weight to lose, cycling was recommended as a good activity. I was less than enthused since cycling=exercise bike in my head and exercise bikes had brought me nothing but pain during countless hours of PT for the gimpy foot. At the urging of a friend who promised me he could ride centuries with "little" pain, I figured I'd give cycling a try.

I'm new to this cycling thing (I last rode a bike when I was 12ish) and was pretty intimidated when I started shopping for a bike earlier this year. I went around to the shops here, tried a few bikes, talked a bunch of people, and still felt pretty intimidated. Finally, after much consideration, I bought a Specialized Expedition Sport. It's a comfort bike who I liken to a sexy, strong, full-figured woman (kinda like me ). She fits me well and keeps me comfy during my 10-20 mile rides. I've ridden 130+ miles in the last few months and I'm really enjoying myself.

So, today I take my bike in for a tune-up. The LBS owner, who I talked to at length before buying my bike, runs to open the door for me and asks what the problem is. I tell him "no problem, just figured that since I'd ridden her over 100 miles, it was time for some cables to be adjusted." He asks me how many miles I've ridden and I tell him. He high-fives me and tells me how proud he is that I'm getting out and enjoying the bike. Made me glow!

Rock on LBS guy and thanks to everyone who encourages newbies like me. The inner contentment that I get from cycling is awesome, but it's even better when someone else offers some encouragement.
    ...May the wind be always at your back...
    ~old Irish blessing

Welcome to TE fizz! And agreed, rock ON to an LBS that gives props to a newbie and not just the racer doods.

Electra Townie 7D

That's awesome There are a few LBS guys out there who could use a little social skills training (Not mine, not mine! I am an official fawning groupie at my LBS, and adore them all!)

That is a VERY cool looking bike!

Welcome to here, and congrats on having a great LBS!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

great post!

Loved this post - great way to start the day! Thanks so much for sharing. Congrats to you - keep the bike luv flowing.

Very cool bike, fizz. Welcome! Now if we can clone your LBS guy's customer service attitude! Some of my team could use that at work.
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)