Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yo! Aussie & Kiwi Ladies-how is "winter"

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey ladies,

I believe "Winter" has arrived. (at least i think it's winter?)

I'm not complaining about "winter" if it is here. Who can complain about 20C daytime temperatures in winter! Ok, it might be 5C at night but that's not cold. pwah!

Are you ladies still on yer bikes? Thistle, are you still out there commuting?

Whilst we're at it, why is it that only one body part gets cold in the morning? Only my ankle gets a bit cold for some reason.

Bring on the rain I say. I'm ready: I have my extra set of cycling gear at work for those crappy rainy days, my oh so nice MEC rain jacket ( http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1179651914261) , Witches Britches(well they're on thier way..) for those coldish mornings, my AV buff and a nice Ground Effect sweater (http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/produc...84af2b1552a5c8)

How is your winter?

C

It's not really winter here yet - even in NZ. Usually it's really cold and we'v ehad a few southerly storms by now - but it just keeps on being nice. As a newie to cycling, I am a little unsure about the winter getup. I have some ground effect jitterbubs - they are shorter than witches britsches - and leg warmers, which i took out for the first time today. Not really sure the leg warmers were needed, but it looked cold from our window. (Doesn't the idea of owning something called "witches britches" just sound great!)

I get really hot when I exercise & am unsure what to actually buy for winter. too much clothing & I will want to give up & cool down, but not enough won;t be much fun either. What do you experienced riders wear? Who else gets really hot compared to others you know & how do you face winter?

Many thanx

nz

Hey!

I was wondering if it was fall..It's the same weather here during both fall & winter over here in Perth!

Where in NZ are you? Welcome to TE! Always nice to have another chickie from the Southern Hemisphere on the board.

I agree with you about it being hard deciding what to wear cycling during fall/winter. I have an idea of what certain temps feel like & know if i'll need my arm warmers or just my vest.

Hard to explain but I guess you just get used to knowing what to wear. If you're in Auckland I'd suggest some serious wet weather gear! Either that or float with the ducks. If you're in Christchurch i'd ask KiwiGirl but if you're on the North Island ask RoadRaven.

Happy cycling!

c

hey crazy

i havent been back on my bike since coming down with whooping cough

am thinking i will get back on for a ride next week. am going stir-crazy not being on the bike.

winter is definitely here, i'll be rugging up next time i ride. DH rode in the other day with his balaclava and hurricane-force gloves... but admitted he was a little over-dressed. we havent had any sub-zero temps yet.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

I went to Hanmer for the weeked - BF had to go there for work and I got to take my bike and hoon around the forest

There was a touch of frost about there on Saturday - but then it is 20 degrees C in Christchurch today - weird. We haven't had a frost here yet and so far I have only needed my full finger gloves on a couple of commutes.

The good thing is that going to Hanmer meant I finally put the knobblies back on my mountain bike after using slicks for my Aussie adventure - because my mountain bike with knobblies is my snow bike if needed (hopefully not for a few months yet).

hi there noMummytummy

I get really hot when exercising too (and that was even before the hot flushes I've been getting of late )

I am a ground effect chick through and through - and for me (in Chrsitchurch) witches britches are enough even in winter on the bottom.

On the top in winter I go for a starfish with a jetson over the top. I have a fleece (the womens version of the cadence which I can't find on the latest website) which I wear for my short (3.5k) commute, but I find it too hot for a longer ride

aaawww - looky them, aren't they cute, calling it "winter"....

20 C during the day and 5 C at night is the same as the lovely balmy days of early summer we're having here...

(But to be slightly on-topic - the most important thing to me when it gets chilly is not many layers, but a single windstopping layer all over. I'll use long tights, full-finger gloves and a thin skull cap long before I start adding extra layers under my jacket.)
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

hey

Thistle! I do hope you feel better soon I know what it's like not to be able to ride.

KiwiGirl-how was your mtn bike ride in Hamner?

I am impressed with Ground Effect & will continue to shop with them. Their customer service is great & they're oh so friendly.( I think one of the chickies is Canadian )

Lph-The reason i say "Winter"is..I'm Canadian & winter is not 20C!!!! Its -20C!!! I giggle when I see people with heavy coats & gloves on when it's 15C outside!

Happy riding!

c

Does it ever snow down under? Sorry for the dumb question.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Hey there cc -

my ride in Hanmer was great - I got out on the bike on both Saturday and Sunday - on both occassions just followed my nose around the forest tracks for a couple of hours

I was going to do a ride called Jacks and Jollies pass, but I bailed after about 1 km when I realised jacks pass was going to be a 10 k uphill on a rutted gravel road - much more fun in the forest - forest riding is my favourite kind of off road riding

mimitabby

in the North Island they hardly ever get snow at sea level (when I lived in Wellington it snowed in town once but didn't settle) but it does snow in the hills a bit, and there are ski fields on the mountains in the centre of the island.

Christchurch where I live now generally gets snow that will settle one or two days each winter (or at least that's been the case in the six years I have lived here). The Southern Alps will have snow on them for most of the winter

snow

Mimi-Normally in the middle of the North island around Mt Ngaruhoe, Tongariro & Ruapehu (man I hope my memory is ok & i've spelt them correctly) there's snow in winter.

In Australia-i'd have to go to the middle of NSW or VIC to the ski fields for snow. Where Thistle lives in the ACT gets cold enough for snow. (Am i correct thistle?)

Snowless in Perth..

C

yep, crazy you're correct. mimi we live about 2 hours drive from the Snowy Mountains.. yep that's what they are called. although they are really not very big mountains and we dont get a huge amount of snow ... even there.

we occasionally get snow in canberra... maybe once every 5 - 7 years. usually just lots of frosts and pretty, sunny days in winter. snow is a big deal here, it makes the headlines when we have it.
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

oh

Hey, i just checked the BOM (www.bom.gov.au) site & now know why my hand was a bit cold this morning.. It was 1C at 5am when i left for work..

I also had a few people at work say "I thought of you when i dragged myself out of bed at 6am & noticed the temp!".

I was toasty warm with my AV jersey & buff, sleeveless wind vest, sweater and arm warmers on top. It may sound like alot to wear & you're probably wondering why i wear all those items. It;s basically all I own & don't feel i need to buy any more bike clothing. (other than the (right size this time )items i'm waiting to be sent from NZ..)

I can't wait for my witches britches to come!

C

I've been Hobart when it was snowing in winter and heard tales of a snow on Christmas day (mid summer to us Northern Hemisphere folk) there.

Well, very mild here in the Bay
    But that is not good news for me/mine.
    We are on a farm, and the ground is rapidly getting too cold for the grass to grow even if it does rain
    We are at the beginning of a winter drought, and our stock are facing a tough few months.
    We cant sell any more as everybody is quitting their animals, so we'll just have to try and carry them through as best we can...

If we weren't farming, I would be loving this "winter"
    (Its winter solstice in just a month, so def winter here)