Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Definitely-Winter is here!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Icy, gusty winds with episodes of heavy rain on the way to work. Lots of icy wind during the day and then a heavy downpour as I got home from work. Must say, I was glad I drove the car! (I guess I'm not a dedicated cyclist yet.)

Well for a soft Sydneysider I think it is definitely winter - well at 0600 on sat mornings it feels like it.

CC - I ordered some GE witches britches the other day too. Am a big fan, I got to try them on a couple of not too early rides in Canberra on the weekend. To be honest I won't bother with full tights after using them, they will be quite enough for an aussie winter. I am going to have to sort out my feet though, even in a very daggy pair of toasty hiking socks my toes were v numb after 90mins.

Notummymummy - love your avatar! is that your bub?

On the snow topic, my husband comes from Hobart and yes one Christmas when visiting his parents there was snow on top of Mt Wellington.

So, icey gusty sleet and snow in Invercargill today
    Torrential downpours in the last week or so north and west of me here in the North Island.

But here in Hawkes Bay we are entering our 10th month of low/no rainfall.
    We had 7mm in May, and non so far this month.
    The ground is dry and brown and my son complains it is hard to hunt rabbits because of the crunching underfoot (dry grass) as he walks.

There is virtually no food left for our animals, there have been gale force westerlies for nearly a week.

This looks like the summer parching of February, or the Spring equinoxal winds ... not like the approach of mid-winter and solstice

rain

RR-I do hope you recieve some rain the next month or so.
    I saw the news story on the NZ Herald site about the severe weather warning and didn't see any mention of rain
    http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10444151

I think most of the farmers in Australia understand how you feel about very little rain.

Here's hoping for rain in Hawke's bay!

C

NSW ladies

Hey NSW ladies,

Have you been affected by the horrible weather near Newcastle? Wow!

My thoughts are with the loved ones of the missing

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21875727-2,00.html

Bad week for accidents & weather in NSW & Vic

First the Kerang rail tragedy & now weather related tragedy.
    (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599...rom=public_rss)

My thoughts are with the families who lost loved ones in the accident.
    C

Wow, some nasty sad stuff across the Ditch
    If anyone is connected to this, my thoughts to you from EnZed
    Thanks for posting the links CC. (Today news links are loading for me!)

Strong to gale force westerly gusts continue on my part of this island... its race day today... an out and back 39km course and we will have a cross wind all the way, there and back, I think.

I woke up this morning at 5:30 as the side of the house got thumped again. Not sure how my children sleep through it!

Its 7am now and already 15'... doesn't seem like mid-winter at all.

CC - I think it's awful about the missing people up north. To be honest I didn't actually think the weather was that bad but I think the north has been much more effected than Sydney. We were actually heading up to Newcastle for the weekend but decided not to go due to the weather and as there are warnings suggesting not to travel unless essential. I was actually going to do a duathlon nr Nobbys Beach (right next to were the ship is grounded) - but it was cancelled yesterday due to contamination risk from the ship and the need for police access on the road. It's disappionting not to do the race but I think it was probably a good safety call from the news footage I have seen.

wow

I picked up a copy of The Australian this morning & saw how close that ship is to shore! Holy Sheep kapoops!

I don't think i'd want to be driving up that way this weekend! Haven't the police asked motorists heading up that way only to travel if deemed necessary?

C

It's raining, it's pouring ....

Up along the Northern Beaches the weather is not that great.
    Light rain on Thursday, caused the local council to close all the sports fields. So, I missed out on playing Ultlmate Fribee with my team ("The Beanies").

Since then it's felt like winter. It's very windy & has been raining on and off all day. I don't mind riding in the rain, i did it plenty of times in Palmy, NZ. But I'm don't feel that safe sharing the roads with the traffic over here.
    Alot of Sydney drivers aren't that good at driving in the rain, and I've seen enough of their silly behaviour to know that it's safer to walk when the roads are wet.

rain

Aha,a Palmy girl. Sydney's a beeet more exciting i would imagine

The Aust media has mentioned that folks in some Aust states have forgotten how to drive in the rain as they don't see it that often.
    Perth weather is a bit odd. We often receive a month's rainfall in one day Fine with me. Either that or it rains at 4am for 20min & then stops.
    I can't figure the weather out sometimes!

Keep safe on those roads dear!

Riding in the rain is fine however if it often comes to the decision of: Do i bike without my glasses and hope I can see or bike with them and stop ever few minutes & wipe them off. I normally don't care if i get wet however at the moment i'm stuck with this stupid chest flu and don't want to get a chill & be worse off.

I've been off my bike for 3 days and inside for two . I'm going stir crazy and have had enough sleep! I'll try for a ride tomorrow..

C

Rode this morning and must admit it was the coldest I have ridden this year. This is my first winter on the bike so don't know what to expect, but this morning was very very cold, but at least once the sun came up it was a clear day and not foggy. Temp was around 2 at 6am this morning

ok, it's officially cold

we had snow in some parts of canberra this morning. people out in captains flat and bungendore have been told to take the day off cos the roads are treacherous

still not riding to work, hope to get back to that next week.

did a 10k ride on the weekend. i havent done more than 2kms at a time since i got sick in april. feeling about 80% though, so am planning to ride to work next week.

update on the whooping cough, broke my rib coughing. great so that has delayed my return to the bike somewhat.

but, most importantly, went to my new job yesterday (i start on the 2nd july) and amongst everything else, was shown my new office ... which is large enough to house my bike and located the showers!!

so, things are looking up! funny how one of my main priorities yesterday was to check out (surreptitiously) how biking to work would work
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

Brrrr... feels like snow

Well, winter is def here...

We have had over 100mm of rain over the past 5 days or so... so although it is too late for grass to grow, at least the fire ban is off!

Tomorrow the forecast is for rain and cold sou'easters... gonna race anyway!

It's raining again. I can only hope that the rain helps full up the dam & doesn't affect north too much.

On Thursday, I was hoping to make the ride home before the rain came in the arvo. 30 mins from home, down came the rain.
    Since Thursday is the day I play ulimate frisbee,I rang up the council phone line to check if all the sports fields were closed, the answer being yes.
    That makes 2 weeks of sports practise being cancelled, and the way things are going next Thursday will be cancelled as well.
    Apparently it's the wettest June in 4 years.

Oh well, it could be worse.
    I could be living thru another Palmy winter, with heaps of rain, wind, grey skies, hail, frost & chill-blains. I think I'm becoming a bit "soft" living in Oz, and need to toughen up a bit.

cold?

Enzed..you think you feel wimpy with Aussie winters..

I wonder if i've become a wimp. What will happen if Ian & I ever move back to Canada & experience a real winter

Winter in Perth does not compare to an Edmonton winter at all!!!

Nothing like a 24C "winter's "day...

C