Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Knee pain?

Knee pain?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Could anyone fathom a guess as to what sort of problem pain on the outside edge of your knee could be indicative of? I went hiking today, and I noticed that when we were going downhill, the outside edge of my right knee started to hurt. This has happened on other hikes where there is a long portion of fairly steep, rocky downhill. Once in awhile, my knee will ache from other activities, but not usually, ie. biking doesn't seem to hurt it, a year of taekwondo never seemed to bother it. The only other thing I've ever noticed is that I can't do lunges on that knee. I'm sure it's kind of messed up from years of dancing, but I never got it checked out during grad school (while I was on my parent's insurance still) and only got good health insurance very recently. I'm going to have it checked, but I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this, and what it could be a symptom of.

2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

from a book about bike fit:

lateral (outside) knee pain

seat too low - raise seat
    cleats toes point in - modify cleat consider floating pedals
    floating pedals - limit float to 6 degrees
    toggling cleats - replace cleats
    feet too close - increase stance width; modify cleat position apart; shim pedal on crank 2mm; longer bottom bracket axle; cranks with more offset; pedals with larger q-factor
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Mimi- Where did you find that book? I have been having pain on the inside of my left knee since installing new pedals. I am considering paying for a new bike fitting to adjust everything with the new pedals.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Sounds like itliotibial band friction syndrome to me.

I would search ITB, or something from above on this forum. It's a very common problem in cyclists and runners. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Quote Originally Posted by Wahine View Post
    Sounds like itliotibial band friction syndrome to me.

I would search ITB, or something from above on this forum. It's a very common problem in cyclists and runners. I'm sure you'll find lots of useful information.
    Thanks, ladies. I am definitely going to get my knee checked asap (I literally got my new insurance card last week). My knee has bothered me on and off for a few years, so it's got to be from dancing, since I don't ever run (cuz I don't really like to), and it was before I got a bike. But from what I read about ITB, it definitely seems like something that could have happened from dancing, which can be very hard on your knees.

outside knee pain

Yes get it checked with xrays.
    I had a patella that wasn't tracking. They did surgery on it 15 years ago, now they just give you physio to strengthen the muscles that hold the patella in place.

Get your bike fitted. I went from having pains from my knees to my neck.
    REALLY BAD Pains. The first ride after the fitting. Nothing but my knees and they were much better, which I know know from recent xrays, that I have Osteo Arthritus in the knees.

The fitting was free, but the cost of having a new bar stem and the bars cut to fit my shoulders and simple adjustments in the seat location were unbelievable improvements. I'd been moving the seat up/down but it wasn't enough on it's own.

good luck

Well, when I saw the topic, I was gonna post what Mimi posted...

But if its been before the ride as you have just said, well, best wishes in finding an answer...

But do also check your bike fit, as that may aggravate whatever is causing the pain.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

I was recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis as well as slippage of my kneecap and your symptoms sound pretty similar especially since you danced for all those years. Have them looked at. I had X-rays done to my knees and did some physical therapy which helped a lot. I then decided to take up cycling to help strengthen the muscles that kept my kneecap in place. It's really helped me out a lot. Good luck and keep us posted!
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

I would recommend a book titled, "Listen to your Pain." The thing I liked about it is that it gave very specific diagnostic tests that a lay person could perform at home.to differentiate between different injuries. (Unfortunately, most of my pains are caused by lack of exercise, and not by sports injuries.) The book in now quite old.

Mary Megrant
    It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... It is MY lane!!!... ...It is TOO my lane!!!...