Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Interested in riding around the Big Island?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I did a solo tour around the Big Island last spring. If you're interested in biking there, my journal included information on the places I stayed as well as pictures and the story of my travels. You can read about it at denise2003hawaii.crazyguyonabike.com

Back again, unfortunately without a bike...

I visited the Big Island again in October of 2004 - unfortunately this time without my bike since I'm still regaining my full biking energy after my bike crash back in May. Hawaii was planned as a bike trip, but I changed it to a hiking and wandering trip. So why am I posting it here on a cycling web site? Because there's information about places to see that supplements my biking journal, and there's no reason why you couldn't use your bike as transportation to some of these wonderful spots. Interested? Here's a link to my blog about my Hawaii adventures. If you're interested in good places to stay, here's the page describing my accommodations.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)

Maybe I could ride to CA, and paddle to Hawaii????? I could save mega $$$ on gas, but I am not sure I could get off work for that long

My dream is to go to Hawaii for a few weeks. Told my b/f that if I ever remarried I had to go to Hawaii for the honeymoon, as you can tell, I haven't been yet.
    LIFE IS GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by trigurl
    Maybe I could ride to CA, and paddle to Hawaii?????
    Riding to California would take a lot more time than flying to Hawaii and riding there. But - both are good objectives! I'm kind of stuck on Hawaii myself as a travel destination, I really like it there.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.

Denise -- I just wanted to thank you for such great reports. We're trying to plan a budget trip to Hawaii for my mom and yours are the first resources I've found that didn't turn my hair gray!

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Guide books

Pooks,

My SIL has a place on the Big Island. When we go to visit her we use The Big Island Revealed as our reference guide. I don't think it has a lot on cycling but it is a very good all around reference.

My SIL only visits there for now, her permanent home is in LA.

If you're filthy rich and you'd like to rent her Hawaii house you can check it out here:

http://www.vrbo.com/71442

It's an amazingly peaceful and georgous house. Gotta love those family connections.

Quote Originally Posted by pooks View Post
    Denise -- I just wanted to thank you for such great reports. We're trying to plan a budget trip to Hawaii for my mom and yours are the first resources I've found that didn't turn my hair gray!
    I'm glad that you're finding my journals to be helpful. I'd be happy to (attempt to) dredge up some memories if you think of any questions while you are planning the trip. Are you going to join your mom on this trip, or is this a solo journey?

Oh - and I agree with Wahine on the guidebook. Hawaii, The Big Island Revealed is a good one.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 01-07-2007 at 04:29 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

wahine -- I am pea green with envy, but unfortunately, not green with filthy lucre! On the other hand, from what I'm hearing the cost of your sister's house is very reasonable if it's a family or group renting. I've been told a lot of the hotel rooms cost that much and more if they're on prime beach.

DG -- Thanks for the seconding of the guide book. I'll be sure to get that one -- we also have friends who live on the Big Island.

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Denise,

The link to your blog seems to be broken. Do you have it housed elsewhere where I can read it???

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Denise hasn't been on these boards for a long time. I miss her!

I miss her too!! I have stayed subscribed to her blog, though. Here's the current address: http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/

Was working just now when I checked.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Thanks CA_in_NC. The link you posted works!

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    I miss her too!! I have stayed subscribed to her blog, though. Here's the current address: http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/

Was working just now when I checked.

CA
    Hey - you guys - you're right, I haven't been around in a long time. Funny, I just popped in tonight and saw your notes.

Thanks... it's good to know that I was missed.

Quote Originally Posted by michelem View Post
    The link to your blog seems to be broken. Do you have it housed elsewhere where I can read it???
    Sorry, I'm in the process of moving all of my travel journals to a new home. The Hawaii journal(s) you were looking for are now at

I have to apologize though. I am still in the process of moving my journals. My first step is to move them to live with my blog, which means that they are upside down. That is, they read as a blog does, with the latest post on top.

My next step - which hopefully I will start next week (I think I need the rest of this week to finish the move...) is to flip the blogs on their heads so they read like a book from oldest to newest.

So - for now, my 2003 Hawaii bicycling trip at http://denisegoldberg2003hawaii.blogspot.com/ reads upside down.

If you want to see an example of what the final journal will look like, check out my A return to death journal at http://denisegoldbergdeathvalleynov2008.blogspot.com.

--- Denise
    Last edited by DeniseGoldberg; 01-26-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    www.denisegoldberg.com

Thanks Denise. I really enjoyed reading about your Big Island adventures. DH and I are hoping to go for the first time next year (2010). He's pretty excited about the volcanoes.

By the way, what kind of camera did you use?

hey

Denise!!! Hello!!! How are ye? Come back soon k!