Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

How did Bike to Work Day go for you?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Well, another BTW Day in the bag. How did yours go?

I rode in with my friend, Terry. It was his first ride (except for some noodling around his neighborhood) since having knee surgery in late January. He felt it and was hurting by the end of the 7.25 miles. But he was a trooper, and was schmoozing it up with everyone at the Silver Spring pit stop. We ran into a bunch of co-workers there so we all hung out and compared notes on our rides - while shivering in the damp cold and watching the threatening skies for rain.

The Bicycle Place, the LBS owned by my friends, and the Discovery Channel gave away 2 Trek Limes - the nifty "coasting bikes" they have out that are internally geared with "flat foot technology" - so you can sit on the saddle with your feet flat on the ground. They are marketed towards non-riders and are designed to be as simple as possible. Pretty nifty, but alas, I didn't win.

It is not looking good for the ride home. I may get rescued by a certain Knight in a not-so-shiny Escape (my DH) if it gets too snotty.

So, tell us about your adventures on Bike-to-Work Day!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I said I wasn't going to ride if it the weather wasn't cooperating, but I got out and did it anyway.

It was rainy and there was more water on the street than I antisipated, but overall it went pretty well. I rode alone (not a very big cycling community) but it's only about 5-6 miles, and I got out early enough that it wasn't too bad, and a bit enjoyable =)

..Now to hope things let up so I'm not riding in flooded streets on the way back home this evening.

This was my first BTW Day. . It started off by taking my daughter to daycare in the trailer (its her 2nd Birthday today ) along with enough cupcakes for her class. Then I rode home and switched bikes so I wouldn't have to pull the trailer around the rest of the day and rode to work.

Total miles: 5 (I live in a small community) but I still have a ride to & from the gym at noon and back home tonight. . .

I feel fantastic this morning and I am going to ride to work more often now!

Have a great day!

It was great.

Today was the first time I actually rode TO work. In the past I've carpooled with a neighbor and then ridden home, since I wasn't confident with a route and I have 17 miles to go. But I got up and left at 5:30 this morning, and it was heavenly. No traffic, just open roads and quiet. Made it to work at 6:40, cleaned up in the restroom (baby wipes are awesome for this! Good recommendation, someone!) and was at my desk by 7:00.

Hope everyone else had fun!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

The same as every other work day.

I did bring home ten pounds of textbooks last night. That's the worst thing about a combo class - two sets of books to lug around!

V.
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Good ride into DC today, especially since I made it before the sprinkles started. I rode into the office at my usual time, then showered and walked down to Freedom Plaza to the BTW Day rally to get my t-shirt and water bottle. As usual, there were a lot of bikers at the downtown pit stop.

The PA system was horrible, so I didn't hang around to listen to speeches (the mayor of DC is a triathlete and was going to speak) and the line for food was long and slow, so I just grabbed my schwag and came back to the office.

One of my coworkers won a front and back light set at the raffle.

First BtW Day

Did my first BtW Day commute, my first bike commute since about 1984! It was mostly uneventful.

I rode my hybrid. Unfortunately, it seems to need a front derrailleur adjustment (I had some shifting problems and dropped the chain once). The cyclocomputer wasn't working properly, so I don't know my actual distance and time (around 10 miles and 45 minutes). If I do this some more I'll probably need to invest in panniers and a rack. I was riding with a full backpack and had to be careful about how I shifted my weight.

Got to work and the guard told me to lock my bike up outside, but the building manager was standing there and said it would be OK for me to bring it to my office. Had to wait to shower while they were cleaning the bathroom. It would have been nice it they cleaned the shower, too. It obviously hasn't been used in ages and the shower floor had many dead flies on it.

Got my T-shirt, but I didn't win the bike
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by northstar View Post
    It was great.

I have 17 miles to go. But I got up and left at 5:30 this morning, and it was heavenly. No traffic, just open roads and quiet. Made it to work at 6:40,
    Northstar, how do you bike 17 miles an hour? I am jealous...

Hey, that's an hour and ten minutes, an average of about 14.3, especially if there's climbs. Very respectable for that time in the AM commute (the same time I commute).
    I couldn't commute today; it's predicted to be really raining this afternoon and it's been lightly rianing since the middle of last night .

It was my first Bike to Work Day as well. I made it to my pit stop out in Virginia at a better time than I have in the past. I did the ride in last Friday and it took me 1.75 hours to do 17 miles with stops for crossing roads, etc. I got my bike adjusted (was having issues shifting up sometimes), had a shot of coffee, won a water bottle as a consolation prize, and picked up my t-shirt. This time I got to the office in 1.5 hours. Do cyclocomputers count time you've been stopped? It was my first time riding with mine.

My legs are nice and tired and sore. I'm not riding back since I will be hitching a ride with my husband. I think that I'm going ot start doing this every Friday. It was great seeing everyone on the trail and I feel great!
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    It was my first BTW day (although I commute most every day anyway). It was nice to see a couple hundred bikers out in full force. Pretty cool. I even won a new helmet! Woo hoo!
    Now I'm back at home, getting ready to head in for an afternoon of work.

Have a great day, ladies!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Maislin View Post
    Hey, that's an hour and ten minutes, an average of about 14.3, especially if there's climbs. Very respectable for that time in the AM commute (the same time I commute).
    I couldn't commute today; it's predicted to be really raining this afternoon and it's been lightly rianing since the middle of last night .

Yay, my speed's been deemed respectable! I think it was the nerves. And also the complete lack of traffic.

Madscot, I commute from NE Mpls to Champlin. It's mostly flat. There are just a few hills in Nordeast until I get over into North. (I was worried about biking through there in the near-dark, but it was like a ghost town!) Glad you had fun this morning, too!
    2007 Trek 5000
    2009 Jamis Coda
    1972 Schwinn Suburban

"I rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a bike. It gives her a feeling of self-reliance and independence the moment she takes her seat; and away she goes, the picture of untrammelled womanhood."
    Susan B. Anthony, 1896

This was my 3rd bike to work day in a row. (I did it before, but it was a long time ago)
    I was thrilled to see 3 other riders on beacon avenue (a sleepy street)
    and a 4th at the station (bike station set up for today only)
    then I saw two more on my way into work.

What a beautiful day here. We've had some bike to work days that were just ROTTEN wet and cold.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

As I am not working I didn't bike to work per se, but I did man a booth. Handed out lots of cards for the MS150, sold a T-shirt, told a lot of folks that no I don't work for Group Health, they are just the title sponsor of our bike team... It was fun. Was asked what team I raced for at least once (while wearing my full kit mind you - no I don't wear a logo across my backside for kicks)... Most fun was probably when the UW rep came over and asked us if we all got the passes and found a place to park - and we all kind of gave her a blank look - ummmm park, well my bikes right over there.....
    The booth was right along the Burke Gilman trail so we had a lot of people come by. We ran out of bananas, Cliff Bars, King County bike maps and blue t-shirts.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

I didn't do the organized BTW day, but I did do a bit of organizing myself. Unfortunately, the weather didn't really cooperate. I had cajoled a group of 7 people including a completely new (or wannabe new) commuter to ride in, we were to meet at acentral location and all ride in together to work. Rain would call the ride, but when I woke up the roads were a bit wet (not too bad) and it didn't appear to be raining.

When I walked out of my house to my car there was a very fine mist coming down, almost nonexistent. I knew there wouldn't be alot of folks, plus the temp was pretty chilly, sub-60 degrees. Ah well.

Waited in the lot at the appropriate time and no one showed up. Guess the weather was too 'bad' for them, but to be honest I wasn't crazy myself about riding home in another rain storm and probably would have bailed if I hadn't been the organizer. Another girl showed up just as I was about to give up, and the two of us had a good ride in, she showed me a 'shortcut' to work that took out a scary highway but put in a serious climb (doable maybe once in awhile, but not every day).

On the upside, it is getting easier and easier to wake up to go commute, today I barely spared a moment for 'oh man if only I could sleep in another hour' and instead just rolled out of bed and got into my car. Here's to hoping the skies don't open up (again) on my way home!