Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey, this sounds kind of cool. I must admit I was thinking that "Bike to Work DAY" sounded kind of odd, since to me and most other bike commuters I know bike commuting is a habit you have to work in over a period of time. Here in Norway we have a nation-wide Bike To Work campaign that runs from early May to about mid June, and even that I feel is a bit short.

But as I kept reading I realized that making a big fuss about one single day, with prizes and food! - bike for a bagel is a terrific idea! - actually makes it that much easier for people who don't really want to bike, to give it a try. And maybe some of them are pleasantly surprised at how "possible" it is?

Next winter I'll have to try to pick one of the dry and mild winter days and make it "cycle for chocolate"-day

[Hah! My dh just suggested "cycle for doughnuts-day" (it kind of rhymes in Norwegian), with a logo of a bike with doughnut wheels.... ]
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    But as I kept reading I realized that making a big fuss about one single day, with prizes and food! - bike for a bagel is a terrific idea! - actually makes it that much easier for people who don't really want to bike, to give it a try. And maybe some of them are pleasantly surprised at how "possible" it is?

]
    Exactly.
    Many of the women who biked to work today (and posted here) are actually regular bike commuters.
    As part of a bigger initiative to get folks to ditch their car and ride their bike, there is "National Bike Month" (May), "National Bike to Work Week" (May 14-18), and today....Bike to Work Day. It's to just get the public awareness up and to give them one day - with all the fanfare and hoopla - to give it a try. The hope, of course, is that they enjoy it, realize it is feasible, and pick it up as part of their routine.
    ...Like MDHillSlug. Congrats on the first commute! Hope it went well enough to do it again!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

A bit of irony here.

During Bike to Work Week, I drove one day (donated blood, no energy afterward) and DH had to drive twice.

We just figured we were celebrating Alternate Transportation Week.

The weather was beautiful here, I hope others took advantage.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

Indeed, I ironically took the day off. We don't have a whole lot formally going on - cheap coffee at four places and we sent out emails - so I don't even know how much happened. (We have a fair number of commuters already, anyway - I hope that *they* at least dropped in for the goodies!)

Here are a couple of pictures that someone from work took.

This one is kinda cool with the Capitol in the background. It shows a small part of the chaos that is Bike to Work day downtown.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike to work day capitol small.05.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	67.8 KB 
ID:	3292

This is the DC mayor, Adrian Fenty. I like this picture because of his "Taxation Without Representation" jersey. (DC is trying to get a seat in the House of Representatives.) They gave away the Jamis Coda Comp in front of the podium.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike to work fenty small.05.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	3293

No fair!
    D.C. offers a cooler background for pix!
    Here's some folks in the Silver Spring stop and Mike, stumping for the Trek Lime.
    Last edited by 7rider; 05-18-2007 at 04:35 PM.

Crud. Too fast on the "Submit Reply" button....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01443.JPG 
Views:	195 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	3298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01442.JPG 
Views:	199 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	3299  

My first bike ride to work!

I took advantage of the bike to work event to finally ride my bike to work. I was afraid I would have a hard time finding a route, but it was actually pretty easy. And I hitched onto the group of people who rode with the mayor of St. Paul for part of the way. The 14 miles out to the 'burbs took me 1:10 with three pretty good hills. On the way back, with a headwind it took the same amount of time.

My co-workers all thought I was a superhero!

Yay! I'm going to do it again.

yay Pixiechick! that's what it's all about.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by pyxichick View Post
    I took advantage of the bike to work event to finally ride my bike to work. I was afraid I would have a hard time finding a route, but it was actually pretty easy. And I hitched onto the group of people who rode with the mayor of St. Paul for part of the way. The 14 miles out to the 'burbs took me 1:10 with three pretty good hills. On the way back, with a headwind it took the same amount of time.

My co-workers all thought I was a superhero!

Yay! I'm going to do it again.

hey you were there too! awesome! that was such a great time for me. I don't know if you noticed but I was the kid wearing the jeans and black zip up with a white helmet. I was also riding a green bike. Where do you bike from?

Bike to school

I promised my students a gatorade if they rode their bike to school. I had 9 ride and most of them stored their bikes in my room. Crowded but fun, and lots of others said they would do it next year! I had two graduating seniors ride an old rusty tandem. (4th and 5th from left in their cap and gown, only you can't see the cap) After graduation practice, they rode it around town for fun. Here is the pic that's going in the local paper. (I cropped their heads off for security, the paper will print the full pic)
    Last edited by uforgot; 05-02-2010 at 05:14 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    That's too cool, uforgot!!! I should've offered an incentive to my students- never even thought of that! Great job to your kiddos- and the graduating seniors on the tandem- priceless!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Funny thing, I had to remind over half of them about choosing their gatorade. They simply thought it was a fun thing to do.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

My Bike to Work morning was my usual uneventful commute. My PM Bike to Home ride proved to be more exciting! First I was cruising along with a sweet tailwind and got smacked on the cheek by a HUGE bumble bee which thankfully did NOT fall into my shirt! Next as I took my lane to go through a roundabout the car in front decided to STOP and I came about as close as I ever want to rear ending a car. Then along a narrow no-shoulder road I almost ran off the road talking to a dog and a few block later a kid driving a huge old car came within inches of causing a wreck cause he couldn't wait 10 seconds for a car coming the other way to pass before he passed me! And . . . to top it all off, at the last stop light before home, for the first time, my cleat slipped on the pavement when I put my foot down and my all important girlie bit hit the top tube. OUCH! ! Thank god for a chamios!! I was really glad to get home, alive. bikerHen

Madscot,

My starting point is West River Road and Midtown Greenway (I live about a block from there) and I rode out to Maplewood. Beautiful day, wasn't it? Where is your starting point? Do you commute often?