Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Geonz View Post
    ... just getting back from my group ride which last week a couple turned back & didn't go the whole distance for; this week they hung with us but SLOW (as in <9 mph) ... and so at the halfway point I felt compelled to peek at the bike and yea, those brakes... I picked up the wheel and spun... I mean dragged the wheel around.
    Wow, were they embarrassed they hadn't noticed that? I bet they were relieved that the bike just had a simple maladjustment that addressing is going to help a lot!

Jolt is offline Dodging the potholes...
    ... just getting back from my group ride which last week a couple turned back & didn't go the whole distance for; this week they hung with us but SLOW (as in <9 mph) ... and so at the halfway point I felt compelled to peek at the bike and yea, those brakes... I picked up the wheel and spun... I mean dragged the wheel around.
    We managed to get 'em adjusted better (tho' they were at the end of the adjustment point) and yes, that rider feels stronger - but pretty tired!
    I think what was nagging at the back of my mind was that she was *never* coasting. We were going into a 13 mph wind but still... welp, between less friction and a tailwind, the ride home was much faster.
    Fill them tars up and go for a ride
    Wow, pretty bad! I know that's not my problem (if the brakes were rubbing I'd definitely hear it, and the wheels spin freely). That said, that did cross my mind that day as there's a sound that was coming from my front wheel it seemed on each revolution--thought it might be brakes but when I spun the wheel around I didn't get the sound and it spun fine. Still not sure what the sound was--any ideas? Or could it have something to do with the brakes and it only does it when I'm riding as opposed to just spinning the wheel?
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

They weren't rubbing enough to hear - the wheel would go around about once before stopping. Besides, she'd just brought it in to the shop (for it's "30-day free checkup" from when she bought it... except that it had been ten years!!) ... my favorite LBS, I'm embarrassed to say, but at least I can say that it had been adjusted out to the end, so my guess is it was one of their new guys who didn't know what to do when you've adjusted as far as it can go and didn't want to ask (I know, I just know my guru wouldn't have let it out of the shop knowingly ... he'd have given it new cable or whatever!)
    There aren't too many things that only drag the wheel when you're riding - then it would be something in the pedal crank perhaps. I am completely unmechanical - I even suggested that smaller tires might make the brakes not rub before I looked at them and of course realized it's not the tires they hit... doh... (her hubby seemed to be leaning *hard* towards getting her a new bike, so here's hoping their trip in for gear turns into something even nicer!)

They weren't rubbing enough to hear - the wheel would go around about once before stopping. Besides, she'd just brought it in to the shop (for it's "30-day free checkup" from when she bought it... except that it had been ten years!!) ... my favorite LBS, I'm embarrassed to say, but at least I can say that it had been adjusted out to the end, so my guess is it was one of their new guys who didn't know what to do when you've adjusted as far as it can go and didn't want to ask (I know, I just know my guru wouldn't have let it out of the shop knowingly ... he'd have given it new cable or whatever!)
    There aren't too many things that only drag the wheel when you're riding - then it would be something in the pedal crank perhaps. I am completely unmechanical - I even suggested that smaller tires might make the brakes not rub before I looked at them and of course realized it's not the tires they hit... doh... (her hubby seemed to be leaning *hard* towards getting her a new bike, so here's hoping their trip in for gear turns into something even nicer!)
    Hmm...maybe the (wicked underinflated) tire was bulging and THAT was hitting the brake pad while I was riding? The sound was short (like half a second each time) but it did sound a lot like the sound the front brake makes when I stop. It happened while coasting as well as while pedaling, so that probably rules out a crank issue. I may go for a ride tomorrow if the weather clears and I can't talk my friend into going on a hike...that will be a good test of that hypothesis because I'll make sure the tires are properly inflated this time!
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by ace View Post
    Yup, it'll give you really strong legs! I honestly didn't expect the road bike to make THAT much of a difference, but I am shocked. These are the differences I've noticed:

1) my "I'm not thinking about riding and not putting in any effort" speed has increased by about 3-4 mph

2) I can actually ride 19 mph on a flat road and not feel like it's all that hard (though I don't know how long I could keep it up. On my hybrid I never got past 16 mph).

3) Getting up hills is, dare I say it, almost easy. On my hybrid, it was always a major struggle.

4) The bike actually feels like it's riding itself, it's the strangest thing. My pt, who's a cycling coach, said that means it really fits me (and it should, it's a custom frame).

Transitioning from the hybrid to the road bike has completely changed my outlook on riding. I keep getting the urge to go out and ride hills!

-Amy

Hi - I found this too. I just went from a MTB to a racing bike. Gift for Mother's day from husband & our 3 boys. Went out yesterday & covered in 90mins the same distance it was taking 120+ before. The bike "rides itself" is a perfect description. And then I did some hill intervals taody. OMG that was fun. Better then skiing for a speed rush going back downhill. Looked at computer after & hit 45.3km/hr. Lucky I didn't know at time - would have scared me I think

Jolt, you might want to do a thorough visual exam before you go out, it sounds like you could be headed for a pinch flat.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Balancing the Bell Curve

Okay, someone has to weigh in with low numbers for speed.

Speed? Did I say speed? Heck, I only just graduated to being able to use second gear! And to be really racy.....I slid it into third going down a hill today.

My speed hovers at about 8 mph which is wonderful when you consider I was a former couch potato only one week ago riding a sofa at 0 mph.

I'm as happy as a clam and have fallen in love with my bicycle and I'm also pretty fond of that tired, sweaty woman staring back at me in my bicycle mirror.

It's not about destinations and speed. For me, it's about the journey.

I discovered a two mile lenght of rails to trails today with much of it near streams and summer flowers trumpeting their own journey that is not measured in mph.

I truly admire and respect those of you who race but I don't want to be you. I want to be ...... just be.

Isn't it just incredibly wonderful to be alive on a bicycle!

tyre pressure and tread

I have just started riding again and my current bike is a mountain bike. I assumed that because my car tyres run at 35, my bike tyres which are smaller should run at less, so regularly rode on tyres with about 30psi. Then someone told me to read what was on the tyre wall (55-65) and pump the tyre up to the max. I have been doing that for several months now and the difference to my speed and ability to keep up with the group amazed me.

The 2nd thing I discovered was that you don't have to run knobbly tyres on a mountain bike. So I just had new tyres - called city/country - put on. They still have a bit of tread for those off dirt rough patches of road, but compared to the knobbly mountain bike tyres, they are like slicks. Now I can keep up with the front of the group.

I am learning all the time with my cycling - people who have been cycling for a while assume newbies know everything. That's why this forum is so great - everyone is so keen to help.

So maybe you could have a look at getting new tyres that are less heavy and therefore less grippy on the road.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Pardes,
    don't worry about your speed. It's your health and your fun that matter.

I'm 54, and have been biking about 2 years now. Before that I hadn't exercised a day in my life. (except for waitressing off and on). I went from doing 3 mile rides the first year to actually riding 3400 miles last year. Why? because I love riding my bike and I love how good it makes me feel.
    My speed has improved slowly. The first year I averaged 9mph. Last year I averaged 10mph. This past couple of weeks I seem to be averaging 11mph.
    I figure by the time I'm 85 I'll be averaging 40mph.

I do like to see that I am getting faster- because it tells me I am getting stronger. I don't care so much about speed, I care about the beauty of enjoying my rides. Do what makes you happy and don't worry about everyone else. Good for you getting off the couch!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Wow, talk about an old thread being pulled up! I have to say, not too much has changed as far as my speed (or lack thereof)--still a fairly slow utility cyclist who does the occasional longer ride. To the person who's just starting out, I like your attitude! The important thing is that you're riding rather than sitting on the couch eating Twinkies.
    2011 Surly LHT
    1995 Trek 830

Quote Originally Posted by pardes View Post
    My speed hovers at about 8 mph which is wonderful when you consider I was a former couch potato only one week ago riding a sofa at 0 mph.
    Most awesome thing I've read all day!

PS I'm a former couch potato and current 8-9 mph-er, too.

YeeeeeeeHawwwwww

Thanks for all your lovely response to me digging up this old post about "being slow."

I'm on vacation today and I did 8.6 miles today on the bike.... bus to downtown Newark - do half the miles around U of Delaware campus and the Hall Rail to Trail - bus to the grocery store and then bus home on the next bus.

It was only 8.6 miles but it was Mt. Everest to me. Here's the scenic half.

The view was quiet and spectacular on the Hall Trail.

At midpoint is the old Newark train station that is now home to the Newark Historical Society. That's my Trek before I loaded down the empty pannier with groceries.

I took another bus to the grocery store that is about 3 miles from home. This was my first grocery run with the bike and it was interesting trying to guess how much the pannier would hold.

As I strolled the aisles, I realized that on this trek to the summit, I really needed a sherpa. Then I remembered, Sherpa was patiently waiting outside strapped to a grocery cart corral.

The load filled three plastic grocery bags but I sat down like a bag lady and found that it all fit in the back pannier. I didn't even have to put anything in the front bag. Amazing! I have the regular grocery pannier at home but the set of 2 are too heavy and cumbersone to use daily on the bike. I save the clunkers for going to the laundromat or for when I'll be going directly to the grocery store and back. This Sunlite pannier doubles as my work attache case and is always on the bike or at work with me in the lab.

Meanwhile, I managed to miss the bus home.....possibly on purpose to see if I could actually bike a very heavy load home for the remaining 3 or so miles. I stopped halfway for iced tea since I'd drained my water bottle on the Hall Trail in 90 degree weather.

The icing on the cake came only a block away from my house. I was panting and trudging up a miniscule hill when I saw a female pro biker coming in the opposite direction. She did a double take and then said, "Hey you really ARE out and about!"

She was a pro biker I met at the LBS the day I bought the bike a week ago. She does very long distance rides and regaled me with stories of biking UP and down and UP and down the Blue Ridge Parkway. She was full of encouragement and ideas about purchases for my new bike and I wondered that day if she really thought I'd take biking seriously and hibernate back to the couch.

I felt wonderful pulling into my garage. Sherpa is such a good friend, non-judgemental and always willing to lag behind with me.

I'm exhausted. Time for bed!

That is so awesome. I have grocery shopping goals, but its about 2 miles away and I need to find a non busy way to go. And there's a hill.

My little 0.6 ride to the train station is killing me, I'm so out of shape. But some of it is getting comfy on my bike - I accidentally missed a turn and went over a little curb . I was like "AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH" until I realized I was on a mountain bike, for heaven's sake. It likes bumps. I was barely jolted.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I love reading your stories of your beginning rides.

Hey ladies, do remember that when you are doing city type riding, you are stopping and going a LOT- stopping for lights, stop signs, intersections, traffic, stores... all this combines to bring your average speed WAY down. Don't let that bother you in the least! Someone zooming down a highway or bike trail with no stops or intersections is going to go 5 times faster easily.

You guys are making biking a part of your everyday lifestyle and using your bikes for actual transportation instead of cars, which I think is ultimately cooler than just doing recreational rides. Wonderful!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Pardes, you are doing GREAT!!! You are an inspiration, actually...