Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Red face Visiting Tempe, AZ and would like riding partner!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Howdy from Virginia. I will be visiting Tempe and Sedona from Sat, June 2 thru Sat., June 9th. I plan on renting a road bike from Tempe Bikes from Tues thru Sat. and I have no idea where to ride. It becomes ungodly hot in the afternoon, so I would like to get in about 30-40 miles about 6:30 am. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with some interested local riders? My pace on the flats is about 20 mph or so and Virginians love mountains. We will be staying at the Tempe Mission Palms. I greatly appreciate anyone's imput or advice.

Hi Carlene,

Here is a link from the local bike club to help you plan routes:
    http://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/ridemaps.html

If I'm off those days I'd love to get together and ride. One of my favorite routes is up South Mountain (our only real road bike mountain around here...not exactly Virginia!).

Will check this thread as the dates get closer!

Sue

Carlene-
    I'm actually going to be in nor cal at that time, but I know the south mtn loop is very popular. You might want to check with Landis cycles to see if they have any group rides going. I know the phoenix tri club usually does an aroud the mtn ride with an option to go up it as well. They are some fun folks.
    And as far as an early start, it's 5:30 am aroud here. We don't do daylight savings time so it gets light very early here. Though 6:30 would work. As long as you are off the bike by 11:00 am you should be fine.
    Have fun and remember to drink, drink, and drink some more! The arid desert air does a lot of tourists in this time of year. It took me about 6 months to fully acclimate. If you start to overheat try to find a water fountain you can dip your head in. Also wearing a bandana soaked in cool water around your neck helps to cool you. I put ices cubes in one on really hot days before I go out. Something about cooling the back of your neck, it really helps.
    Have fun!
    Denise

Smile Visiting Tempe

Thank you so much ladies!! I am really looking forward to my visit and thank you for the GABA link. I will post more info on this by the end of the weekend to see if I can get up with some Arizonans that week to ride. I am concentrating on an 80 miler for Saturday and it is supposed to be in the 90's (yes, in Virginia). I will have to remember to pack some of my crystal neck cooler ties. They are great for keeping you cool.

I have to check my credit card balance, too. The Shoe Mill (Mill Avenue) is beside our hotel and I have an addiction.

Smile

Dear Mtkitchn (Sue):

I have reserved my road bike from Tempe Bicycles for next Tuesday thru Sunday. If you are still interested in riding early a.m. any of those mornings, let me know what days you might be available and perhaps we can agree on a meeting point and time (Tempe Bikes pkg lot? Tempe Mission Palms pkg lot or edge of Mill Ave?) I have no idea what the traffic is like early a.m. and the rides on the internet looked fun...and flat. I conquered my 80 miler, woo-hoo and did another 50 miler on Monday. It was a preview of the Tour de Possum Creek ride's new route (the Extreme Possum Challenge with 5 ridges) and it was a beautiful ride. Do you guys have a Tour de Javelina CreeK? Just kidding. Look to hear from you soon.

Carlene

Hi Carlene,
    It looks like I'll be in Tucson on Monday and Tuesday (to climb Mt. Lemmon!), but those other days sound good if I still have legs! I can meet you at the Tempe Palms parking lot (Mill & 5th?). I don't usually ride up in Tempe on weekdays (funny how we in Phoenix seem to stick to our little neighborhoods, mine being Ahwatukee), but we could do one of the GABA routes, maybe McKellips loop, or I could bring my bike rack and we could go to South Mountain to ride. I don't care to ride the bike to the mountain because there are some dicey areas with no bike lane and too many crazy drivers.
    Hopefully you'll still be on east coast time and early won't be a problem! It sure gets HOT here in the afternoon!

Carlene and Sue,
    i work nites so i have my mornings free.
    if its ok i'd love to ride with youall. i live in south scottsdale so it would take me about 10 minutes to ride to tempe mission palms.
    please let me know, i think it would be fun!
    if you wanted to do ahwatukee i could pick up carlene in tempe and shuttle us.
    or i could pick her up for south mountain.
    whatever!
    lemme know
    Last edited by PinkBike; 06-01-2007 at 07:34 PM.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Laurie,
    That sounds great! She mentioned loving mountains, and I think South Mountain has the best view around, so maybe we could meet there and ride that. I'm good for any day Wed-Sat.
    Sue