Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    And, yeah, "carbon wrapped aluminum". Can anyone say "superfluous redundancy"??
    I once had chocolate covered ants Is that the same thing? Just kidding. Seriously, there are many ways to get a quality bike for less.

My namesake, my Trek420 was an entry level road bike. I couldn't afford and didn't need anything more. But it had an "upgrade worthy frame" Over many years as I wore stuff out and replaced with better it became a head turner "woah, a Trek 420 with Ultegra and check out the wheels "

By the time I was done I'd have had to pay 3K to get new with that kit. So in random order

Option 1: get a quality frame now, replace/upgrade as you go.

Option 2: close outs, last years models. See above option 1.

Option 3: check your local bike club and shops, find swap meets in your area. Nooooooooo, not flea markets which is where our stollen bikes often go. I mean bike specific swap meets. They sometimes have great deals.

Option 4: Some LBS sell used as well as new.

Option 5: Craigs but be careful that it's an honest deal.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

I actually still use the first road bike I purchased, which was about 5 years ago or round about that time. It's a specialized allez (aluminum frame) and I purchased it at a LBS for around $600 if I remember correctly.

Granted it had low end components, but I only had to replace the saddle off the start and was content until I had the money for improvement. I upraded in sections when I could. Some components here, wheels there, a few more components, handlebars, etc, and several seats later...here I am with the same frame and still have no immediate plans for replacement.

I'm sure it can still be done today and with higher level equipment at that. Just gotta keep those eyes peeled. Another option, would be to put together your own bike over time when good deals on pieces come up. Might save you some additional dough.

Quote Originally Posted by meridian View Post
    Granted it had low end components, but I only had to replace the saddle off the start and was content until I had the money for improvement. I upraded in sections when I could. Some components here, wheels there, a few more components, handlebars, etc, and several seats later...here I am with the same frame and still have no immediate plans for replacement.
    That's what I'm talking about

Get an upgrade-worthy frame in your price range, build it up over time.

There's little difference between full custom and cutsomised. Except it takes longer to "make the bike yours."
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Another idea is a performance brand bike if you have a performance near you. One of the gals I ride with has one, and it has great components and is of high 'value'. Fujis also have a great reputation for 'value'.

Slightly higher than you wanted to spend, excellent bike, Jamis bikes would be on my short list It's available in WSD.

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...satellite.html

I keep saying...flat bar road bikes, fast, comfortable, do it all and a great deal. The Coda line starts here and right in your price range...

www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/07_bikes/coda.html

Same line with nice stuff on it around $1200. Get the basic model and upgrade the heck outa it.
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-17-2007 at 12:41 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Thanks ladies,
    I guess I want a rode bike to get in shape, I have a hybrid, but I think of a hybrid of just cruising around the neigborhood. I think of a rode bike as a 'real training bike'. I also have a permanent knee problem and know that riding is good exercise. Plus I figure if I spend a considerable amount of $$$ I will feel I will have to ride. I will start checking my LBS. I'm the the type that has to extensive research on my purchases. I appreciate all your help. I've owned 2 Treks and a Fuji bike. Sounds like alot of you own Treks, Jamis and Giant bikes.
    Nancy
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

i got my giant for about $600 sale price, last years model.

I got an awesome deal on my first road bike. It's a 2007 Specialized Dolce that I got for $650 at my LBS during a "Ladies Night" event. Regular price was $770.

~Jen

My Toys:
    2003 MINI Cooper
    2007 Specialized Dolce

Just Us Girls Triathlon Club

Oooooooooh, nice bike
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Quote Originally Posted by Trek420 View Post
    I keep saying...flat bar road bikes, fast, comfortable, do it all and a great deal.
    Just be sure to ride a bunch of bikes...I know a lot of folks love the flat bars, but they are not for me...I get wrist/elbow issues with that position.
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by Starfish View Post
    Just be sure to ride a bunch of bikes...I know a lot of folks love the flat bars, but they are not for me...I get wrist/elbow issues with that position.
    I love my flat-bar 700c commutermobile, but those flat bars just don't do well for me on long rides. On a long ride I want my Salsa Short-n-Shallow drop bars so I can get a variety of positions and give my hands/arms/shoulders a break.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Nancy - I just found an '06 Specialized Sequoia for just over $600 (retail $770) at the LBS. The same bike shop also has an '06 Dolce for just under $600, which is a great deal. You can find some bargains w/last years models. I see that you are in mid-Michigan, I'm in SE Michigan (near Romeo) so howdy, neighbor Like you, I'm going from a comfort/hybrid to a road bike - I want to go farther/faster.

~ Laurie
    "I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things” ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Bikeforums.net has a thread under roadbikes - the under $700 roadbike thread that might give you some suggestions.

I just revived this thread to ask about the Fuji Newest. My lbs has an '05 model I test rode last night. It's a small frame but it fit me just right - I will need to test ride it again with the seat placed a little higher, however.

But is this a good bike? I mean, the price they are giving is really, really really good. Like Walmart prices. They said they got a good deal on a bunch of them and so can pass the savings along.

Tomorrow I test ride Trek, but like I said, if I choose the Fuji, is it choosing cheap or is it a good bike?

Indigoiis, do you have any spec info on this bike we could look at?
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury