Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Question What bike should I buy?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I went on my first road ride this week, and then my second, and I'm hooked. I'm doing my first group ride this weekend, on a borrowed bike. So, I need to buy a bike and I need some advice. Until this week I knew nothing about road bikes. I'm thinking about the Specialized Ruby Comp (I still love my Stumpjumper FSR I bought years ago!!) as I already know I need to go with full carbon (but can't really afford it at the moment, and definitely will have to wait to upgrade). Any thoughts, suggestions? How does the Ruby Comp compare with the Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD? I know fit and personal preference is most important, but that aside ...????

A few weeks ago I was able to test ride the Ruby Expert and the Trek 5.2 WSD on the same day. The LBS guy told me that comparing the two bikes is like comparing a BMW and a Mercedes - both really good bikes with really good components, but people just tend to prefer one over the other for whatever reason. He said I'd just need to get on each one and take them for a spin and I'd be able to tell the difference and which one I preferred. Personally, I liked the feel of the Ruby better. I can't even pinpoint why . . . something just felt better about it even though he had the saddle, etc. set up the same. I know someone who did the same thing but preferred the Trek.

This coming weekend I'm test riding a Giant that is going to be built up with fit specs from someone recommended by my physical therapist. I've found that test riding can be kind of fun, and it's a great learning experience.

re: What bike to buy

Hi,
    i was browsing through and found your question...
    I've ridden road bikes for probably 30 years and still wouldn't know what to choose in a short amount of time.
    I wouldn't jump into buying anything so fast..or if you are super keen to get riding and stop borrowing, get a second hand bike and ride for now but keep looking for a while.
    For one, you don't need a fully carbon fibre bike..that's SUPER high end and many pro racers don't even have that. I ride an Olmo (italian frame) Aluminum with Carbon stays and forks. it's a stiff ride (good if you ever want to race or you like to ride FAST into corners, etc. but the carbon fibre dampens the ride a lot).
    You can get frames and get your bike built up with whatever you want or you can get a kit bike like the Trek you described and others. Terry Bikes makes women's bikes also (type Terry bikes into Google), it's woman run co.
    Components are a question too. you can go with the popular Shimano but serious cyclists will tell you that Campagnolo is better (ex. if you bend your derrailleur like I did, in the Shimano you have to replace the whole thing - expensive! - but I only had to replace the hanger - cheap!)...
    Try a few bikes before you buy. You want a frame that fits your body type and your "riding style/objectives". All frames have varied geometry that are designed for specific styles of riding - figure that out first before you buy. The Components you can always upgrade later. Go with what works at first, maybe a cheaper wheel set, etc. at first and upgrade to higher end Carbon fibre components later on.
    Once you ahve your perfect frame, the rest is fun to upgrade as time goes on. This year i am buying new carbon fibre ergonimic handlebars and a new wheel set to upgrade (haven't upgraded anything in 6 years)...I'm excited but it'll run me about 2,000 bucks! It'll FEEL like a new bike though! :-)

Anyway, i hope you get my drift. Bikes can be a BIG purchase and can be expensive but think of it this way;
    In your car, you can adjust your seat, drink your coffee, use a lumbar pillow, etc. to make it more comfortable....on your bike you don't have those options. If you plan to ride a lot...you want a frame that fits and then you want good components and accessories, you don't always get all that in one package, sometimes you need to go looking for it. After 100km on the road on Sunday morning, you'll be happy you took the time to do that, trust me on that one!

Good luck!
    welcome to the world of roadies. I LOVE it, there's nothing else like it.

Test Ride

This has been said many times before, but test ride as many different bikes as you can.

My first road bike was a used Trek 2200. Nice bike and I loved it, but wanted to upgrade to carbon. I really wanted another Trek (I have a thing about supporting US companies) but when I went for my fitting/measuring at my LBS, I was told the LeMond series bike would be a better fit.

I bought a beautiful LeMond Versailles. I love it and have no comfort issues.

Last advice: get fit/measured. Ask what bike would be a good fit for your body.

You might not get exactly what you wanted, but you will be happy!

I cannot offer any advice on the Trek, but I have a Ruby Pro and absolutely love it. The bike before was a Dolce which I have to say I also really loved. However, the difference between all Carbon and Aluminum is unbelieveable.

~ JoAnn