Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Mimi- I was going to carry the bassoon on my utility bike. (the Dew. SKnot chose the Smoke and loves it and is very excited about it)

I know, my bike saga is as good as a soap opera.

When I first sold my recumbent and wanted a diamond-frame, I was torn between the Dew and the Smoke. I bought the Dew.

Then I got Flossie. So I had two bikes.

Then just last week I traded in SKnot's out-grown bike and got a Smoke. So I had 3 bikes.

SKnot had said he wanted my Dew, but when he saw the Smoke he fell in love. (I want him to love a bike, any bike, so that is very cool)

Now I'm having thoughts of trading in my Dew for a second Smoke, cuz I really think it's a spiffy bike, and it's steel, which would make a good Xtracycle someday.

Then SKnot and I would have matching utility bikes, which he's ok with. And I would have Flossie for my zooming bike.

But of course, all these grandiose plans depend on the future state of my financial universe.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Knot, you are so nice and patient with me.
    I wish you'd get that phone call!
    new moon is tomorrow afternoon. Good luck.
    And carrying the bassoon on the rack isn't the same as carrying a horn case
    on your back... much safer.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Quote Originally Posted by dex View Post
    Heh. That's very diplomatic. I remember it as weird and nerdy.
    Very good! And the others?

(This is college level remember. Where you play because you enjoy your instrument, not because you were forced...)

Trumpets - hotdogs.
    tubas - party animals. Think John Belushi, he probably played tuba. (Tubas and percussionists really get along well, Trumpets and percussionists not at all)
    Sax - Tried to be cool. Mellow, laid-back. Sometimes it worked, but they were always well liked.
    French Horn - definitely intense as knotted said, probably because they have all those notes on one fingering. Tend to study rather than party.

Guess I noticed the brass more than the woodwinds because I spent my entire band career in the back. (Or in the closet where we kept our food when there were a ton of rests). I still remember one day, 8 of us in the percussion closet, talking and eating and suddenly we hear the instruments stop and the director: "WHERE THE HELL ARE THE DRUMMERS!".
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

I played clarinet and then switched to oboe. My parents call that time as "the dark years". I actually hated it and switch over to tenor sax and used to bike it to school strapped across a front basket.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I don't know what you're complaining about, I play String Bass. Try hauling one of those on a bike! (The pic of Gary Karr pulling a bass behind his bike not withstanding).

My viola in it's case is just about bassoon size/shaped. It rides nicely bungied to the under-seat rack on my recumbent. Really solid.

DH has hauled his French horn in a child's Burley trailer. It's less wonderful, though, a horn is about child-sized, but it's not shaped AT ALL like a child. Still, it works with the net-type bungies.

Oh, and the horn players not being the party type? Tell that to my younger daughter.

Come to think of it, cerebral Elder Daughter plays drums now - she started out as an oboe, but in college switched to percussion, seven (yes, seven) oboes in the band was too much competition, and the percussion section needed warm bodies.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

What a diverse group we are! I'm thinking that we need to start the Team Estrogen Wind Ensemble, or maybe Team Estrogen concert band??? Oh, wait, probably the Team Estrogen orchestra to include all of the string players. I think LisaSH plays banjo. Where and when do we hold our first concert? Of course we arrive and leave on bikes. It should be outside. First guest conductor? Harry Connick, Jr? (Who WOULDN'T want to lead this group?!?!)
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

How will I get my piano to the gigs?

Quote Originally Posted by rij73 View Post
    How will I get my piano to the gigs?
    On Knotted's new xtracycle!
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

Quote Originally Posted by uforgot View Post
    On Knotted's new xtracycle!
    How silly of me... Of course!

We always called the Bassoon the Alto Telephone Pole! I don't think I ever took mine back and forth from/to school on my 10 speed Schwinn. Man I miss that thing.. I wanted to go into either performance, or education after I graduated High School, they even had an opening for me at Butler University's Symphony, but I never got financial aid or my SAT's.

For my Fellow Bassoonists.... I don't remember where I got this and another sticker I can't find now, but...

Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    Funnily enough, SKnot's first instrument was the clarinet!
    So is mine, I'm working on a mandolin now Jenn

I have a picture of a buddy hauling his standup bass on his bike. I have to unearth it!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

I was a bassoon player throughout high school and college (started out as a music major - ended up a lawyer). I was in the marching band too - piccolo and baritone player. I started playing bassoon to avoid all the competition in the flute section.

Yeah, man! Those flute sections are VICIOUS!!!!!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

After an opera performance in Magdeburg, Germany last summer, we saw at least two of the orchestra members bicycling off with their instruments (one strapped to his back, and I'm unmusical enought to not remember what it was). It was very, very cool to watch them.