Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whooping cough ... again

To disable ads, please log-in.

sigh, i am just getting over another bout of whooping cough. i had this disease 3.5 years ago, and then i got it again about 5 weeks ago

had the devil's own job convincing the docs that i did indeed have whooping cough again... oh no, they said, that's just not possible. well it is, blood tests proved it. not that i had any doubt... having had it once, it was EXACTLY the same second time around....coughing coughing coughin... interspersed with vomiting and incontinence... sorry way too much information, but i need to tell someone or i'll go mad

i havent been on my bike for 4.5 weeks . it sucks. i felt so sick i couldnt even be bothered checking TE

anyway, am on the mend now. just wanted to have a little whinge and feel sorry for myself

thanks for listening, and i really am getting better. i've had 3 nights now where i havent been up have the night in the bathroom
    thea
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

Holy cow- that's terrible!! Get better soon.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by Thistle View Post
    sigh, i am just getting over another bout of whooping cough. i had this disease 3.5 years ago, and then i got it again about 5 weeks ago

had the devil's own job convincing the docs that i did indeed have whooping cough again... oh no, they said, that's just not possible. well it is, blood tests proved it. not that i had any doubt... having had it once, it was EXACTLY the same second time around....coughing coughing coughin... interspersed with vomiting and incontinence... sorry way too much information, but i need to tell someone or i'll go mad

i havent been on my bike for 4.5 weeks . it sucks. i felt so sick i couldnt even be bothered checking TE

anyway, am on the mend now. just wanted to have a little whinge and feel sorry for myself

thanks for listening, and i really am getting better. i've had 3 nights now where i havent been up have the night in the bathroom
    thea
    Oh no that sounds nasty!!
    I hope you start feeling better soon.

Rest up.
    The most effective way to do it, is to do it.
    Amelia Earhart

2005 Trek 5000 road/Avocet 02 40W
    2006 Colnago C50 road/SSM Atola
    2005 SC Juliana SL mtb/WTB Laser V

Thistle, i am sorry you have such a rotten malady. How are your ribs?
    Does it respond to drug therapy (antibiotics?)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Whooping cough

I had it about 4 years ago...absolutely hideous. I coughed so much I couldn't catch my breath between bouts. I totally sympathize with what you're going through.
    My physician diagnosed me THROUGH the exam room door . He said he could hear me from down the hall; came in the room with a mask on his face and handed one to me...."You've got pertussis, you are infectious, you are going home and not going anywhere for 48 hours. You are now under quarantine. .
    I was feeling pretty good about being immune from the latest round of whooping cough; I guess 4 years is about all I could expect.

Jan in Maine

yeah, ribs ache, head aches, am exhausted.

went out for lunch with 2 friends on sunday, only for 2 hours, and i was so exhausted i had to go home and sleep

am on my 5th course of antibiotics.... dont even start me about what they are doing to my body.

the public health people (they are informed, cos it's a notifiable disease) told me that i should get the booster for 50yo's that includes whooping cough... since i've had it twice... i'm thinking i'll wait 6 months, and then get for the booster... i think it includes other stuff like tetanus, diptheria etc.

so yep, bad news for those of you who've had it, having it doesnt make you immune
    To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived — This is to have succeeded - Emerson

I got it when I was 10 (ie at the end of my 5 year old shot). Took them forever to diagnose even then back in the mid-1960's.
    Was crook as a chook for 6 weeks. My mother invented all sorts of projects for me; the best of which was a leaf collection. She would bring back a leaf from shopping, etc and I would look it up in a book and write about the plant.
    Glad you're on-the-mend.

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

Oh feel better soon. I had the mumps twice (and I am immunized).
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

That's weird getting it in spite of being vaccinated. Or getting it twice.

Maybe you should get vaccinated again.

I had the chicken pox 2 years ago and that was a nasty surprise too...
    It's a little secret you didn't know about us women. We're all closet Visigoths.

2008 Roy Hinnen O2 - Selle SMP Glider
    2009 Cube Axial WLS - Selle SMP Glider
    2007 Gary Fisher HiFi Plus - Specialized Alias

Quote Originally Posted by alpinerabbit View Post
    That's weird getting it in spite of being vaccinated. Or getting it twice.

Maybe you should get vaccinated again.
    Oh I did, being I was immunized in ye olde days when I worked on a University campus MMR was a required immunization for those immunized prior to some dat that I do not recall.
    Jennifer

“Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.”
    -Mahatma Gandhi

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    -Aristotle

There is a big push here to get people reimmunised for whooping cough as it is becoming increasingly common again and can be very dangerous for under 1yos. Your case is obviously a good example of the fact that you can't assume you won't get something just because you've had the immunisation. I know a whole family that spent last winter passing whooping cough back and forwards to each other. I'm glad I've not had it and sympathise that you must feel rubbish.

I feel for you. My older son had it when he was at the beginning of eighth grade. He caught it at camp from someone who thought he had bronchitis. It took 3 doctor visits, since he had a history of allergies and asthma everyone thought that was it. Finally, the school nurse diagnosed it. He got it because he only had one dose of the pertussis part of the dpt. The first one caused one of those strange high pitched crying reactions so that was it. I didn't let my other son get that part of the vaccine either. Anyway, he was soooo sick for about 3 weeks, with the constant vomiting from the cough. One morning it was so bad I thought he was going to die in the shower. He felt so sick that he didn't even mind me coming in and seeing him naked! He pretty much looked like death for a couple of months after that and it really ruined his school year.
    Rest!

Quote Originally Posted by Robyn Maislin View Post
    with the constant vomiting from the cough. One morning it was so bad I thought he was going to die in the shower. Rest!
    man i can relate to this. i am so tired of vomiting every morning in the shower

good news is i've had about 5 nights now where i havent been up half the night coughing and vomiting so i'm getting better.

I'm itching to get back on the bike, but i'm going to wait another week... it's killing me though. looking at my bike in the garage this morning was so hard... she looked so lonely

thanks for all the posts, makes me feel better just to know that others understand what i'm going through.

What treatment you are taking for the coughing????.....you must have visited the doctor several times i suppose!!....well i can suggest you some more remedies for coughing apart from your medical tretments.

You can try alternate nose breathing (pranayama), this is a very effective practice for treating breathing problems...

You can do it 10 to 15 minutes daily and will find the change yourself....it has given good results in such cases. Yoga have made a great contribution in treating breathing ailments like coughing, asthma etc...

Also jala neti (Nasal Cleansing) is refered your breathing ailments. In this process you pass the water through the nostril passages using a special tool called neti pot for cleaning the nose passage.

Try these practices under the guidance of professional yoga practitioner. You will really feel the change in your coughing.

Get well soon.

Me too!

I just had to wake up this ancient thread. I was so astonished to find someone else has had whooping cough here. I've got it right now (in week 5) and it affected me, not with vomiting, but with stridor - that strange whistling closure of your vocal chords. Totally tired of waking up at night feeling like I can't breath!

I was told that our immunizations only last about 12 years and also advised to get the adult vaccination once I'm over this. Just a word to the wise 50+ cyclists out there -- go ahead and get the vaccination. This sickness is a total drag. I've been off my bike for about three weeks and I was used to riding to work every day, so I've got all those "endorpin" withdrawal feelings, too.

Here's hoping for spring soon!