Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dangers of Vegetarianism?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hey everyone--
    Lately its' been hard for me to comprehend eating meat. I get sick just thinking about it, and the more I read about colon/breast cancer linkage to meat, the more I think that perhaps it's not the worst idea to give it up. Plus, I can't eat meat knowing how all those poor animals are treated. I know that there is free-range, anti-growth hormones, etc., but that to me gets very expensive and hard to ensure in restaurants (and then what about cancer?).

So, my question to all the vegetarians (vegans too): Are there significant dangers I should be worried about? It seems to me that you should be able to get your vitamins and protein from plant and grain sources. What do you do about B12 or others you get only from meat? I really want to continue this (it's been about a week), but I definitely want to be smart and not get myself sick. Any great books to recommend? I'm reading "Vegan: New Ethics of Eating" at the moment.

Thanks, ladies!!!!

My SO and I switched to a primarily plant based diet about four months ago, two of our friends also decided to try it and the results have been excellent. I don't go in for my annual physical/bloodwork until June but one of our friends (55 years old and taking high blood pressure meds and cholesterol meds) had hers two weeks ago and she's off both meds now. She feels great and I'm hoping for similar bloodwork results next month (although I'm 46 and not on meds just yet).

We all read a book called The China Study that outlined some excellent reasons for making the switch to a plant based diet. Good luck with your transition if you choose to go that way.

Electra Townie 7D

Vegetarian (ovo-lacto, but descreasing usage) for more than 10 years; active cyclist for 3. No problems. There is a vegan US cycling team.

B12 is an interesting vitamin. I did some research on it after I developed Bell's Palsy (in that case, I temporarily took a supplement). B12 is useful for nerve regeneration. Normally, it is used in very small amounds. The body "recycles" its supply such that a healthy individual with absolutely no external source of B12 will not see a deficiency for years. That said, studies have shown that even strict vegans will get sufficient B12 from their diet. Yes, it is only from animals sources, but studies have shown that grain sources have enough ground up insects that, no matter how strict you are, you will get some animal protien.

The only thing we've changed recently is to add additional protein sources. Many here have said that protein supplements are hooey, but we found that as we increased our activity that we were craving proteins <argh> the chicken barbeques were smelling good </argh>. So, we made a conscious effort to do things like add TVP to pasta sauces, eat a protein bar after hard rides, add flavored tofu occasionally to our wrap meals, etc.

But, really, no harm in it.

I've been a vegan for 16 years. I take a multivitamin which includes B12, and calcium, but other than that I just eat a healthy, varied diet. I get sick less often and feel better than any of my carnivore friends who are my age (50). And my hair hasn't turned grey yet--one of the side benefits, I think.

As for books, my favorite is "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins. It's fairly old now, but he makes a good case for giving up each type of meat, eggs, etc, and makes you really believe in what you're doing. I like PETA's cookbook "The Compassionate Cook" for recipes.

Congratulations on going vegetarian!

I take daily B12 for other reasons. I buy "Source Naturals" methylcobalamine, which is vegetarian and hypoallergenic. No "yeast, dairy, egg, gluten, corn, soy or wheat." And they taste ok.

If you can find the book "How it all Vegan", check it out. Fun book. I've not read the second vegan book these women wrote, but I'm betting it's a fun one, too.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Not espousing one diet over another, but....

I have a friend who was an ovo/lacto/pesco vegetarian. Carefully ate organics, "free range" and the like. She still got breast cancer.
    You can be as careful about your diet as you like, but sometimes there's no escaping genetics.

Vegetarian doesn't necessarily equal "healthful." French fries and Fritos are vegetarian -- doesn't make them healthful.

Humans throughout history have been omnivores. If you can make the effort, and eat a varied, healthful diet that eliminates animal products, more power to you.
    Last edited by 7rider; 05-10-2007 at 07:49 AM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

French fries aren't healthful!?!?!

(mmmm, french fries and mayo...)
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I have been a vegetarian since I was a child - just refused to eat meat because I didn't like the texture.

I can honestly say it is so much easier to be a vegetarian now than it was even 5 years ago. There are great meat substitutes that can be found in regular grocery stores or a local health food store. And restaurants willingly change meat based dishes to a vegetarian option at requests, when they never would in the past (my fave is Olive Garden's Chicken Giradino (sp?) - no chicken, double veggies - yummy!)

I would just recommend really reading labels and determining the nutritional value of the food. As a vegetarian its essential to look for protein and iron - especially if you are not using tofu, soy and other meat substitues or if you are going vegan. For example - the Barilla Pasta + with protein and iron is more expensive than their regular pasta but its worth it for the nutrients. Take multi-vitamins but most of your vitamins and nutrients still need to come from solid food.

Good luck and enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    French fries aren't healthful!?!?!

(mmmm, french fries and mayo...)
    Umm..lets see - French Fries are made from potatoes and potatoes are a vegetable...so they must count towards my veggies for the day - thereby being a healthy food!

If I dip them in ketchup, can I count that as a fruit?
    Sigh - fries are a weakness. Of course I don't dip in ketchup. I love chocolate shakes. Yumm..sweet and salty.

Doh - now I am craving fries and a shake

I am an omnivore. I always will be. However, I know that humans can do well on a vegetarian diet, but it is even more critical to pay attention to nutrition because the western diet of convenience foods sort of precludes good nutrition.

So, it's harder, takes more thought and planning. I know you guys are joking about french fries, but i have known some vegetarians who took a bad diet with meat and cut the meat out. and french fries apparently are a large part of that kind of diet, coupled with soft drinks.

As I stated in the beginning, I am an omnivore. I believe that humans evolved to where they are by their incredible flexibility. If you don't count cockroaches, there isn't a single other animal on the planet that eats (and thrives on) a more diverse diet.
    So who am I to eschew tasty nutritious animal proteins? gnamgnam gnam.
    I can't give it up, but more power to those of you who want to!
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

Interesting article on this topic:

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstru...tarianism.html

Quote Originally Posted by michelem View Post
    Very odd, point by point The China Study counters every single argument made in that article. Makes it hard for us lay people to know who's right.

Electra Townie 7D

Thanks so much for the input!! For the record, genetics can certainly take over no matter what, unfortunately. For instance, someone wrote they have less grey hair, but I'm 27 and apparently take after my grandfather, who also went grey pretty fast. I just hope that the breast cancer my uncle has and my mom had won't come finding me...oh and the colon cancer of said grandfather.

I'm suspicious of multi-vitamins...are there any that dissolve in a drink, like water, as opposed to swallowing the pill? I've heard studies that proved they didn't dissolve, hence the term, "All you have now is expensive urine."

What about protein shakes with vitamins? I'm trying to cut back on milk products (never digested well anyway)...I bought some vanilla soy milk but have yet to try it. I'll let you all know

I also want to warn veggies about over-consumption of the wrong foods. I hate it when a vegan or a vegetarian would point out the dangers of my burger while they scarfed down fries and were about 40 lb.s overweight. I suppose nowadays is IS easier, with pastas having multigrain and using whole wheat and stuff.

So these books you all recommend...they have break-downs of what foods to include in your diet in order to receive the right nutrients? I'm so excited to read!!

Quote Originally Posted by lizbids View Post
    I hate it when a vegan or a vegetarian would point out the dangers of my burger while they scarfed down fries and were about 40 lb.s overweight.
    Well, here's where genetics enters into it also. I'm 40 pounds overweight, even though I'm a vegan who eats french fries very rarely. I'm proof that it's possible to be fat even if you eat right and exercise, so go figure.

For me, veganism is an ethical choice. I'm sure that one can eat a healthy diet that includes animal products, but I choose not to for the sake of the animals.

Quote Originally Posted by lizbids View Post
    Thanks so much for the input!! For the record, genetics can certainly take over no matter what, unfortunately. For instance, someone wrote they have less grey hair, but I'm 27 and apparently take after my grandfather, who also went grey pretty fast. I just hope that the breast cancer my uncle has and my mom had won't come finding me...oh and the colon cancer of said grandfather.

I'm suspicious of multi-vitamins...are there any that dissolve in a drink, like water, as opposed to swallowing the pill? I've heard studies that proved they didn't dissolve, hence the term, "All you have now is expensive urine."

What about protein shakes with vitamins? I'm trying to cut back on milk products (never digested well anyway)...I bought some vanilla soy milk but have yet to try it. I'll let you all know

I also want to warn veggies about over-consumption of the wrong foods. I hate it when a vegan or a vegetarian would point out the dangers of my burger while they scarfed down fries and were about 40 lb.s overweight. I suppose nowadays is IS easier, with pastas having multigrain and using whole wheat and stuff.

So these books you all recommend...they have break-downs of what foods to include in your diet in order to receive the right nutrients? I'm so excited to read!!
    yes, You're right about the grey hair. People don't go grey because they eat meat. There are millions of people who never eat meat and their hair is grey.
    However, if your urine is colored from your vitamins, that means they DID dissolve. what it also means is that your body didn't absorb what you see obviously...
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.