Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Newbie, Could Use Advice

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi! I just bought a bike last summer, and it was the first time I had ridden in at least 18 years. I really pushed myself to be able to ride 20 miles or so. Unfortunately with the long winters in WI, I feel like I'm starting all over this season!

My DH and our group of friends are all very good riders - they can ride 35 miles and it's leisurely to them. I've only ridden a few times this year (will be able to do so more now that I'm on break from grad school), and they were 8 mile rides. I average around 13 mph, which I know is slow.

Does anyone have tips on what to do to gradually build myself up? I'd like to be able to ride 25-30 mile rides and keep up with everyone, but I really can't do that yet.

Hi! Welcome to TE, and good for you for getting started on biking!

First of all, I don't think 13 mph is that slow. Please don't worry about your speed at this point, just enjoy being on the bike. For the next couple of weeks, you probably want to keep your pace moderate and gradually increase your mileage. This will help your body get used to biking again with a minimal amount of pain.

Keep it fun! Is there someone in the same situation (trying to get back into biking) that you could go riding with sometimes? That can really add to the enjoyment of riding.

- Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    Keep it fun! Is there someone in the same situation (trying to get back into biking) that you could go riding with sometimes? That can really add to the enjoyment of riding.
    That. Also, level set w/ your DH so he knows what you can do & what you're working on. Spending a ride w/ a partner who has unrealistic expectations is NOT fun. Off season - spinning classes help tons. I didn't this past winter, and feel like I'm starting from scratch.

Enjoy!!

Hey there MKEBuckeye from a fellow MKE cyclist.

There are a few of us from the area that post on TE and get together for rides. We haven't done any yet this year, but I'll be sure to post when we have one planned, in case you're interested in joining us.

That sounds great, SJCzar! I'll make sure to check here regularly, I really like this site so far!

I don't think 13mph for an average is slow! It's all relative. I would think that just gradually increasing the distance you ride will make you stronger and therefore faster...

I just started cycling last month, but I know right now that for next winter I'll be sure to buy an indoor trainer to put my bike on so I can work out indoors when it's too cold out.

Thanks, ladies!

This past weekend I got myself to ride 13 miles and averaged 12 mph. I was very satisfied with that since I was riding directly into 20 mph winds the entire second half.

hey, I am in Milwaukee too. What side of town are you on? Like posted perviously, we ride at least once a week. Maybe we will start after the holiday?

You are welcome to join me if youd like. I bike about 15mph and I am looking to get faster/stronger

Just a word to you as a relative "newbie", Buckeye.

Try not to focus too much on averages. Effective training does not revolve around increasing your average each ride - this approach will in fact have the opposite effect on your performance.

Try and ride at a steady pace, within a comfortable aerobic zone for much of your training. Pushing yourself hard should be specific - for example, once a week or fortnight you might ride over a certain course and "measure" your performance.

Its hard to NOT focus on averages, but really they are more of an interest as your ability to achieve your desired average will vary according to what you ate last night or your breakfast, the wind strength or direction, time of day, wet or dry... and so on... and so on...

Having said that, welcome to the board and fantastic to see another enthusiastic convert...
    Biking is an addiction... be prepared

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".