Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

How to degrease rims from car oil?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I am so ashamed to admit it but since last year I still haven't degreased my rims from car oil that I got on my rims when riding in Septemer of last year. I decided that I will do it this weekend, no more procrastination. I don't have any bike cleaning stuff at home except a spray bottle of Orange degreaser. I am planning to take my bike on my balcony and first try to wipe it down with was clothes and maybe some regular soap? Maybe a stupid question but would liquid dishwasher work? Or do I need something milder? Then I will wipe it will Orange degreaser. Do I need to do something else?

I suppose any degreaser will work as long as it doesn't leave a residue on the rims. I would remove the tires and tubes so you don't have to worry about chemical contact on the rubber or end up with water inside the tires. Then you could dunk the rims in shallow soapy water and scrub away. Just keep the hubs away from water or chemicals.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

If I don't have time this weekend to take the wheels and tires off , do you think I can get that stuff off with a small brush and degreaser?

Pick up a can of Denatured Alcohol. I use DA to clean my rims after I clean my chain and lube it. Works well and keeps them clean.
    Marcie

I use denatured (rubbing) alcohol, too.

Generally I use a rag, soak some alcohol into it, and wipe the rim a few times. Works great!
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson