Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Saddle Adolescence or "Things I Think About When Riding in the Elevator with My Bike"

To disable ads, please log-in.

When I first got my Brooks it had this suede-like feel to it on the surface of the leather. If you brushed your hand over it, you could see where rubbed it because the little peach fuzz leather suede had been moved in different directions.

But over time and in different parts, my saddle is losing it's fuzz to a shiny worn finish. In spots, still young and impressionable, in others worn with experience.

It kind of reminds me of a juvenile penguin with all of those grey fuzzy feathers mixed in with the slick shiny black.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    What kind of Brooks was like that? Our 4 varioous Brooks have all had very hard smooth surfaces out of the box- no suede thing going on at all.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

sounds kinda like one of the pre-aged Brooks. http://www.wallbike.com/b17saged.html

10ch, is yours pre-aged?
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-07-2007 at 07:37 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

My Brooks was a gift, so I'm unsure. It definitely doesn't look like the wallbike pictures. It says "BROOKS Champion Standard B.17" on the side.

This picture was taken last October, and you can sort of see what I'm talking about... see the shine on the nose compared to the dullness of the back? There's more shine everywhere now.

I never put any oils or concoctions on it when I got it.

Sorry for hijacking,

But my brooks appeared to get pooped on by a Canadian goose that was flying by while I was waiting for a train yesterday. Thank god I didn't sit on it before I saw it, otherwise my pretty SSS shebeest shorts in Electric Blue color would look like .... (pardon my french) crap
    What is it with birds and brooks? Do they not like each other?
    Last edited by FreshNewbie; 05-07-2007 at 07:55 AM. Reason: what is it with my spelling lately?

Fresh - Maybe they like each other too much?

Hmm didn't think about it that way, but perhaps you are right
    Thank god cows don't fly nowadays

Yup, my guess is a preaged/presoftened. Now the preaged comes with a pebbled top and laces. Can't get the one like yours anymore. Nice saddle!

Mmmm, a treasure!

If you get into damp or wet conditions, you might want to consider getting some Proofhide and at least putting it on the underside of the saddle. If you can bear to change the color of the saddle, put some on the topside, too.

The Proofhide will make the saddle last muuuuuch longer whether or not the saddle gets damp. (but it will darken the pre-aged leather)

I looove my Brooks. MimiTabby rides one that is 30 years old! If you take care of them, they just get better and better and last a long time.
    Last edited by KnottedYet; 05-07-2007 at 08:03 AM.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Knot, these saddles often pop up on ebay, I think I just saw same exact one couple of days ago. If you really want it I am sure you can find it. I once googled it and it came up too.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    10ch,
    Interesting. Looks like a brand new saddle in the photo, no sitbone dents or anything, but I've never seen that finish on one before. Had your friend used it at all? Maybe most people put Proof-Hide on their B. saddles or other stuff to help it break in faster and also to help it be water-resistant- I know I do. You do NOT want rain soaking into the leather.
    Is your saddle broken in yet now?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by FreshNewbie View Post
    Knot, these saddles often pop up on ebay, I think I just saw same exact one couple of days ago. If you really want it I am sure you can find it. I once googled it and it came up too.
    Thanks, but I've got the extra-wide version of sitbones, and need the B66-B67-B68 series. Depending on finances I might get a second Brooks for my roadie (a B68) and put my B67 with springs back on my commuter. The B60's come with a pebbled top so they don't have the sliding issue of the B17 etc. Looooove my B67...