Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Is Riding Alone OK?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is it ok for a women to ride alone? I'm a new rider and don't have any experience with changing flats and such. My husband is not sure I can change a flat since I love my long finger nails and I'm not very strong. I see other posts where a women states she rides alone. What tips can give for riding alone?

If I can ride alone most of the time, you can too! Just make sure you are prepared. Learn how to change a flat, because sooner or later you will lose your flat-tire virginity and have to do it. Practice at home where you aren't under any pressure. And trust me, it will almost always be the back tire, which means you need to know how to get the wheel off and back on again. I don't have any advice for the long fingernails!

I have a trunk rack on my bike to carry everything I can think of, just in case. I carry a cell phone, snacks, a pump, a new tube, a patch kit (in case I have two flats on the same ride), a small tool pack, a rag, some minor first aid stuff, Tylenol, a health insurance card. I have thought about getting pepper spray or the like because some of the bike trails are pretty isolated, but I haven't done it yet.

Make the best preparations you can and then go out and enjoy your ride! Most cyclists are pretty nice and there will usually be an offer of help if you get stuck, but you don't want to look like a helpless female; It's way cooler to just wave them on with a "I'm fine; thanks for the offer." Good luck!!

Hi tatormc!

When you say you're a new rider, how new do you mean? Weeks?months?

I'd say learning to change a tyer is a great place to start and depending on how new you are it might be worth hooking up with some others for a few rides, so you can get used to your bike and get to know a couple of nice routes you're familar with.

Other than that there's no reason why you shouldn't ride alone - apart from it's good fun with a group! As always it just calls for a bit of common sense.

Enjoy!

I can't agree more about the practice in changing a tube. Here's a link from TE http://www.teamestrogen.com/articles/asa_levers.asp

It was also discussed in several old threads including this one:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...highlight=flat

But reading how to fix a flat is quite different from actually doing it. You should practice a few times at home and pretty soon it will be second nature to you.

I ride alone pretty often. If you're alone you have to be prepared to fix your bike, wait for help or push your bike back to your house or car. You should at least be able to change a tube and fix a broken chain. Personally I don't have a problem with riding alone and luckily I've never had a problem I couldn't solve.

Originally posted by cyclingnewbie you don't want to look like a helpless female; It's way cooler to just wave them on with a "I'm fine; thanks for the offer."
    Even cooler than that is to come to the aid of helpless, stranded men who have no idea how to use a chain tool!

I've been riding for about 6 months. My husband rides with me but he's been riding for years so he's stronger and faster. I hate for him to have to slow down because of me.

I ride alone most of the time, my husband and is a much stronger rider than I am, so if we aren't on the tandem, we are usually doing separate rides, and many of my rides are extensions of my ride home after work. I can say from experience, if you only learn one bike repair, make it fixing a flat. Losing a nail is better than being stranded miles from a phone--depending on where you ride, you can't depend on cell phone coverage.

I mountain bike more than I road ride. So knowing how to fix a flat is an important skill to have when you're 15 or 20 miles of mountain trails away from your car. But even as a road rider it's important. If you are stranded on the side of the road, sure you can use your cell phone to have someone come and rescue you. But while you're waiting, I think you're in more danger than when you're riding. IMHO, you appear to be the week member of the herd standing there waiting for help. If you can fix it yourself, then zip-boom, you're rolling again in just a few minutes! Just my $.02.

I ride alone, I live in the burbs of Southern Ca.

I ride in areas that are heavily residential. However because it is the burbs, Lots of gas stations are close by. I bring my cell with me and other 'emergency' items, bike tools, bandaids etc. I know how to change a flat. Don't usually have a problem.

Learn how to change a flat tire.

I also have 2 or 3 common routes that I share with my family. (Cuz they all think I'm gonna die out there!)

I have a regular departure time and a regular return time.

On weekends I ride farther and longer and many times call them when I'm at the point of turning around and going home. This helps cuz they will sometimes call me if I'm gone too long.

The key is to enjoy yourself.

I usually e mail my husband when I'm going out riding alone and then e mail him again when I get back. I just like someone to know I'm out and about.

V.

Whether or not you will ride alone, definitely practice changing flats. I was fortunate enough to discover my first flat (rear wheel naturally!) at home a few weeks ago. I now feel far better prepared than I did when I only had theoretical knowledge of changing a flat, or had changed one with someone instructing me.

I am a new rider (just started last year) and I too struggle with the "ride alone or not" question. For now, I mostly only ride alone in NYC (I know the streets and the subway stops if I need to bailout!). Out of town (where I prefer to ride), I'm concerned about the combination of lack of skill as a new rider as well as zero sense of direction. I am trying to psych myself up to do some rides that I've done with groups, where I'm more familiar with the roads, and know the roads are well traveled by other cyclists.

I enjoy and learn a lot on group rides but they tend to start late and I'm an early morning person. Especially an issue in warmer weather.

But whatever you do . . . keep riding. Set a mileage goal for yourself each week and do whatever you need to do to meet it. My confidence level has increased enormously!
    2003 Trek 7500FX/standard saddle
    2006 Trek Pilot 2.1/Serfas cutout saddle

Check and see if there is an REI store in your area (I'm not sure if they are only in New England). Go to http://www.rei.com for locations.

They offer bike workshops, both beginner and advanced, for a very small cost. Fixing flats is covered in the beginner class.

If there is no REI, check other outdoor gear stores or bike shops in your area. They may offer a comparable class.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

I'm new to riding alone too. I ride with my BF in his town, but I just started riding where I live, so I'm riding alone for the first time. I bring along all the basics to deal with a flat, but I'm not sure what I would do to fix a broken chain. Should I carry a length of chain with me?
    Even though I'm new, since I'm carrying fix-it stuff with me, whenever I see anyone pulled over, I always ask if they need help. My basic knowledge might be more than theirs.

Where will you ride? In addition to being prepared for flats and emergencies, as others have given you ideas about, you need to consider how vulnerable you will be by yourself. I am a mountain biker and now a roadie, too, and there are some places in each category I will not ride alone. Think about what possible dangers you could encounter: from other people, animals, trail hazards/vehicle traffic, and then pick the safest places for your first solo adventures. Wherever you go, make sure you either know the area well or have a good map. This comes from my own experience of going exploring and ending up doing more miles than anticipated! A GPS is great for solo riders! I use mine quite a bit. It's fun to look at the maps of my trips when I get home. I printed up my favorite routes, so I can leave a map of where I'm going for my husband.
    Another safety factor: not only does my husband know where I am and when I'm due back, we stay in contact during the ride. We have an informal schedule of when I'll check in, and he'll call me first if he thinks I should have called. We usually touch base at my half-way point and when I'm back at the truck, minimum; more contacts on a four hour ride.
    For many of us, if we waited for company, we'd hardly ever ride. And you grow to love the solitude of the solo rides. It's a very freeing thing.

Originally posted by Audio-A
    I'm not sure what I would do to fix a broken chain. Should I carry a length of chain with me?
    You don't need to bring any chain with you. An extra pin is helpful. I have a pin taped to my chain tool. If you break your chain on a ride, you can take out the bad link or two and put it back together. It might be a little short, so you might not be able to get into the big ring, but the bike will be rideable. You're probably need a new chain then, anyway.

A while ago, there was a thread here talking about how some of us were cyclists with messy houses. Do you remember? Well, I'm one of those... And part of my messy house includes a length of chain in my living room that I use to practice breaking and putting back together. Practice, practice, practice! I've fixed 3 chains while riding (mine once, stranded riders twice). They were all mountain biking rides. I kind of think that mountain bikers break chains more often than roadies.

Riding alone....

As the others said, learn to fix a flat and carry a multi-tool. I recommend CO2 inflators for women riding alone because they get you up and riding again much faster than a pump.

Carry your cell-phone, pepper spray, and ID.

Always let someone know when and where you will be riding and when you expect to return.

Appear as gender-neutral as possible while riding alone. Wear bright, visible jerseys but save the pink, flowered girly-stuff for group rides. If you have long hair tuck it up or into your jersey.

Stay alert and don't be afraid to listen to your "inner voice". If you see the same car pass you more than twice and it's creeping you out, don't hesitate to find a public place (c-store, gas station etc) and whip out your cell phone.