Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by run it, ride it View Post
    I've just entered a phase of my life where I am happy for the first time in years and years--got out of a dead-end relationship with a guy who didn't appreciate me, finished my degree... I can't even express how much good change did me--learning to mountain bike, finding great new friends and having fun adventures... this whole shoulder thing is just a blip on the radar, and after feeling such pain the pleasures are only amplified (percocets don't hurt, 'neither).

ohh, he just invited me over for dinner, so I will end my novel!
    Oh I am SO happy to read this! How wonderful for you and you DESERVE every bit of it. Keep nurturing yourself and your new loving relationship.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've always said, variety is the spice of life. Being creative is essential IMO.

Great news RiRi. The collar bone looks good and it's great that you've got someone so kind to take care of you.

Heal fast.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

I also couldn't stop smiling when I read your message. You're in a happy place. Stay there (while going forward, if you know what I mean).

Finally pulled off the rest of the bandages, and I think I am in love with my surgeon: is that not the most incredible stitching job you've ever seen?

thank you ladies for the amazing words of support and encouragement. they have been so helpful, reassuring, and reaffirming throughout recovery.

I've had a very busy past few days. I went shopping for a new helmet with DGWBTM (Dear Guy Whose Bike Threw Me), who works at a bike shop in Toronto and hooked me up with his employee discount--we also had the priviledge of shopping after hours and stayed in there until well past 1am!

The helmet is ordered! sexy Giro E2 in matte slate/titanium... yum... also got new Tifosi sunglasses (my Ryders broke in the horse crash a week earlier), and Sugoi full-fingered gloves that can only be described as 'handgasmic.' Of course, I've been wearing them around the house nonstop with arm warmers, much to my housemates' vague confusion but acceptance.

I also got back on a bike! For real! In the bike store I hopped on a kids' bike with training wheels and tore around the displays. Shoulda seen the grin on my face! Now DGWBTM is tempted to hook me up with training wheels for my roadie, lol.

two days ago I went for a gentle mall trip to soothe my wounds through summer skirt shopping. I cannot describe in words how much will power it took not to try and ride my bike there! I took the bus.... then realized I didn't have a bus fare home! No matter: I happily walked the 4.2km. sunny day, nice breeze, and I took the route past the friendly cows at the vet college. oh, how simple pleasures thrill me now!

speaking of four-legged creatures, yesterday I determinedly (but gently) climbed back on the horse--now, before the reprimands begin, do understand that I've owned this horse for nine years; I've had my 86-year-old grandfather on him, young cousins--people more fragile than me. he knows when to have fun, but he also knows who to look after. the sweet boy did everything he could to make my ride comfortable--we ambled around at a walk, jogged briefly, and he gave me half a round of the most smooth rocking horse canter before gently stepping back to a walk. that boy stood so still while I climbed back off onto the mounting block, even when I accidentally booted him in the flank swinging my leg over. he knows. this is the horse who carried me home half-unconscious after a terrifying road accident, who whinnied and paced the fence trying to get to me when I fainted and didn't get up, who caught a leg over a line he was tied to and instead of panicking looked trustingly over to me and stood till I freed him. oh dear, here come the waterworks... not a tear shed during the whole clavicle incident, but once I start thinking about that sweet horse I'm a fountain.

DGIS (Dear Guy I'm Seeing, not to be confused with DGWBTM (yes, I've got guys taking care of me all 'round!)), is just... I honestly can't believe he's real. So sweet and caring, strong sensual side, a body to die for, loves horses and wants to go on bike rides with me once I'm healed.

but I have been pushing it: today is moving day and I could not be in worse shape. thank god I have everything packed and ready to go, but I didn't get any sleep last night--first from a pain in my chest so sharp I could scarcely breathe (which thankfully went away before I contemplated trip #3 to the er), and now from some very swollen tonsils. I'm exhausted and nauseated and just hoping there's enough left of me to direct the move (DGWBTM was kind enough to offer to move me).

I apologize for yet another novel... I have enough range of motion in my off arm to type with it again, mwahhahaha!

riri - Gorgeous scar!! You owe the doc a nice bottle of scotch for that beauty!

Electra Townie 7D

RiRi, you are one tough gal. Happy to hear that your recovery is going by fast and that you already having fun You totally deserve it. Stay as positive as you are.

Marina

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    "RiRi"- I like that nickname!
    It does my heart good to read your "novels". Keep writing them!
    Such happy inspiration to everyone here.
    Rest and heal and don't overdo, now!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Beautiful stitching job.
    It made everything so much easier that you only had the fracture there and no compound-ing.
    I agree - it's worth a bottle of scotch

All you need is love...la-dee-da-dee-da...all you need is love!

riri --

Your horse sounds like every young girl's dream -- and my dream, too.

I'm glad you're doing so well -- now DON'T PUSH IT!

Or trip number 3 to the er will happen.

[tap-tap-tap]

Have you turned every hair on your mother's head gray?

(I love reading your novels, too!)

“Hey, clearly failure doesn’t deter me!”

Work finally got back to me. I will get paid for one-and-a-quarter days and be put on leave of absence until I'm back in action. Case in point: I still have a job. and I have such mixed feelings. this means I'll have to stay out here in the middle of nowhere for three months, without a vehicle (and no, there's nowhere to road bike safely or MTB at all). I have no excuse not to; the job pays well, and I won't pushed beyond my limits. But part of me knows that staying in my university town with people to ride with and DGIS and friends and finding a job, even if not one with amazing pay, is -possible.- I never have liked it here, I never have liked my job or the people I work with...is it really worth the money to be here? I can't say.

DGWBTM moved me with his truck. the whole trip was torrential rain and we narrowly missed a tornado. Had to stop to fix the tarp over all my earthly possessions more than once. Oh boy. it was like even the weather wanted me to stay.

seeing DGIS could be tricky at best, and the relationship is so young I've just had a TASTE of it before having to throw this wrench in--my first non-long-distance connetion with a guy in eight years. three months seemed a really short time in the relationships that started out long distance. but because this started within close proximity, it looms like an eon. I don't want to kill what we've got, because it's so fun and interesting and unique. the second I arrived here i've wanted to go back.

I have, of course, been overdoing it. I won't even say what I did, not to anyone (telling my mother I hopped on my horse was bad enough!). I'm not sure I've even ever completed the same task by myself without a broken bone. But I do insist it was safe and I used every part of my body aside from that arm to do it. No worries, I don't plan on returning to the ER--it's a bit of a drive from out here!

perhaps a change of weather will lighten my mood and speed along my recovery. maybe even work will be tolerable, and I'll find ways to get back to the town I miss so much. Or maybe I'll just haul anchor and run straight back in a few weeks regardless.

I am so sorry - a broken collarbone hurts like hell. I had a very similar type fall and injury from skiing a few years back.
    Brina

"Truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed; then violently opposed; finally, it’s accepted as being self-evident." Schopenhauer