Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    392

    Arch supports in cycling shoes?

    To disable ads, please log-in.

    I'm not saying my Podiatrist doesn't know what he is talking about, but I really think I need some arch supports in my spinning and cycling shoes. NONE of this started until I started cycling and spinning. I know when I'm out of the saddle and climbing and doing jumps I can feel it in my arch!! He doesn't think that's possible, but I swear guys, I feel it. So today I took out my inserts in my old running shoes and put them in my spinning shoes and I could feel the support there.
    Anyway, was just wondering if anybody had heard about that, I'm REALLY trying to avoid the cortisone injection, but now my other foot is starting to hurt.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,764

    Yes!

    Here's a link to a type that PT's make:

    http://www.sidas.com/

    They're custom made and go into cycling shoes. I am getting some this month as a matter of fact. I wore/wear them in running shoes and my feet are pretty messed up in general so I figure it'll help having them in my cycling shoes. I bet if you look, you can find a PT in your area (or a podiatrist or orthopedic person) who does these

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    245
    I have customized orthodics because of a HIGH arch and other weird feet problems -- without them I cannot ride more than 8 miles without total foot pain! I got them through orthopedist who sent me to sports therapist to do mold. I am on second pair. If you have feet problems, it is worth looking into!
    BAT
    Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    392
    Thank you, I thought there HAD to be something out there!! My problem is our Insurance won't cover orthotics, only if your a diabetic (Which I'm still trying to figure that one out.) But anyway, if we had to pay out of pocket, any ideas on what I'm looking at?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Allentown, PA
    Posts
    587
    I have custom orthotics -- two pairs in fact, one for running and one for cycling. First pair was covered by insurance but would have cost $350.

    However, you can try something call a BFO. It's an over-the-counter type that I got for my podiatrist for the meantime and were $20 through the office.

    PowerSteps also makes cycling insoles.
    ~ Susie

    "Keep plugging along. The finish line is getting closer with every step. When you see it, you won't remember that you are hurting, that anything has gone wrong, or just how slow or fast you are.
    You will just know that you are going to finish and that was what you set out to do."
    -- Michael Pate, "When Big Boys Tri"

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,764
    Mine are $150 but it's for one pair only and they are only for cycling. I can move them between my cycling and spinning shoes but I guess the foot placement would be different for running so I'll have to get different ones for that.

    Sometimes insurance will pay but I know it can be a struggle!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    392
    teigyr thanks for the link, unfortuantely they are all in Taos or Santa Fe which is a ways from us. I'm going to look around though and talk to my Podiatrist on Tuesday when I see him. Do you think I may be better off going to a Sprots Medicine Dr.?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,764
    You know, I think so. Here's why...ages ago when I first got running orthotics (was in elementary school!), I went through a podiatrist. It turns out though it goes beyond my really ugly and deformed feet which is usually the case. When I went to a PT the next time, they found out I had a dominant side and on the other side, muscles had atrophied a bit in my calf. It was freaky, there was almost an inch difference! They did the orthotics but also took the rest of my body into consideration.

    Maybe it's overkill but I think a sports person or physical therapist will look beyond the feet, if that makes sense. Maybe for a normal person a podiatrist is ok but if you do a lot of activity, a sports person would be better.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    392
    Yea, I agree, I think I'm going to look for a sports med dr. I called the LBS and they said they have inserts but it's mostly for people that have NO arch not like me, mine is like the freaking Gate to St Louis!! He did say Speciaized made and arch support but I have to go look at them.
    The whole thing with looking at your whole body, I think I need to have it done because I ran for YEARS but had to stop because of constant pain in my left hip and mid back pain.
    Maybe it's just that.....well, this aging thing SUCKS!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    I'm the only one allowed to whine
    Posts
    10,557
    if you can, go see a sports med PT. Meanwhile, try a pair of Berry Superfeet if you get the chance. Or the Green if Berry doesn't feel right. Gray is supposed to be more for biking, but from the sounds of your arch it might not work.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver Metro
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    Yea, I agree, I think I'm going to look for a sports med dr. I called the LBS and they said they have inserts but it's mostly for people that have NO arch not like me, mine is like the freaking Gate to St Louis!! He did say Speciaized made and arch support but I have to go look at them.
    The whole thing with looking at your whole body, I think I need to have it done because I ran for YEARS but had to stop because of constant pain in my left hip and mid back pain.
    Maybe it's just that.....well, this aging thing SUCKS!
    Jenn- go to sportz outdoors and ask for james or for tricia!
    I have specialized women's shoes ( i over pronate) and they have support and keep my foot where it is supposed to be. I also have the specialized inserts and I love them.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    130

    Love my insoles

    I was having numbness issues in my feet after about 20 miles and the LBS checked out my shoes...Shimano SPDs.... and he said the fit/width was fine but they lack arch support. He recommended I try the Specialized inserts, there are three kinds, Minimal/Normal/Supportive. I believe they are red/blue/green??? not sure.
    Anyways I got them on a Friday, wore them for 65 miles on Saturday and the numbness was almost gone. They were great and only about $45. Way better than buying new shoes or paying a podiatrist to make orthotics. My feet are average arched, got the blue ones.
    His explaination is that unlike running the pressure on your feet is limited to the front half of your foot therefore the arch support is different than in a running shoe. It feels like the support in the cycling insole is more pushed up under the front of my arch.
    Give a shot the sizing is in cycling shoe sizing. I wear a 49 and got a size 49/50. Good Luck - Nic

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Denver Metro
    Posts
    834
    Quote Originally Posted by nic840 View Post
    I was having numbness issues in my feet after about 20 miles and the LBS checked out my shoes...Shimano SPDs.... and he said the fit/width was fine but they lack arch support. He recommended I try the Specialized inserts, there are three kinds, Minimal/Normal/Supportive. I believe they are red/blue/green??? not sure.
    Anyways I got them on a Friday, wore them for 65 miles on Saturday and the numbness was almost gone. They were great and only about $45. Way better than buying new shoes or paying a podiatrist to make orthotics. My feet are average arched, got the blue ones.
    His explaination is that unlike running the pressure on your feet is limited to the front half of your foot therefore the arch support is different than in a running shoe. It feels like the support in the cycling insole is more pushed up under the front of my arch.
    Give a shot the sizing is in cycling shoe sizing. I wear a 49 and got a size 49/50. Good Luck - Nic

    Interesting Nic- I was having numbness also, and I contributed it to my shoes being to big(they were) but when I got smaller shoes, I also got the specialized inserts- now I am curious as to which, the inserts or the shoes- or both combined, helped stop the numbing sensation

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    269
    Quote Originally Posted by KnottedYet View Post
    if you can, go see a sports med PT. Meanwhile, try a pair of Berry Superfeet if you get the chance. Or the Green if Berry doesn't feel right. Gray is supposed to be more for biking, but from the sounds of your arch it might not work.
    I second the Superfeet idea. I have custom orthotics which are great, but I'm not all that convinced they're any better than the Superfeet I was using until they came in (mine took several weeks to get). The Superfeet are a lot less expensive (and there's no need for appointments, wait time, etc.)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Central Virginia
    Posts
    245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenn View Post
    But anyway, if we had to pay out of pocket, any ideas on what I'm looking at?
    I had NO insurance either: each pair cost me $300, but I figure it is worth it because there is never a day that I don't use my feet!
    BAT
    Satisfaction lies in the effort not the attainment. Full effort is full victory.
    -- Mahatma Gandhi

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •