Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Superfeet!

To disable ads, please log-in.

We broke down and got OTC orthotics!

Re the foot exercises, please share! Please?

Playing Footsie

DON'T DO ANY OF THESE IF THEY HURT OR FEEL "WRONG"!!!!

1. Fist and Splay Toes
    Make a "fist" with your toes as tight as you can and hold it for 5 seconds.
    Splay your toes out wide as you can and hold that for 5 seconds.
    Repeat 5 times each foot.
    (warning: weak or reluctant muscles in your foot might cramp in complaint. Then make looser fists and gentler splays until they're stronger.)

2. Toe Wave
    Make a "fist" one toe at a time, starting with the pinky toe. Open the fist one toe at a time starting with the pinky toe.
    Make a fist starting with the big toe. Open it starting with the big toe.
    (warning: this is almost impossible to do, but it will perk up your foot muscles and make your friends and loved ones laugh... until they try to do it!)

3. Heel Stand/Toe Stand
    Hold to a kitchen counter for balance. Slowly take 5 seconds to rise up onto your toes and lower back down.
    Repeat 5 times
    Holding the kitchen counter, slowly take 5 seconds pull your forefeet up until you are standing on your heels only and lower back down.
    Repeat 5 times.

4. Single Leg Balance
    Hold onto a kitchen counter for balance. Stand on one leg. Use your core musles to hold your lower belly flat. Squeeze your buns. Unlock your knee. Feel your pinky toes doing their share of the work. (don't let your big toes and heels do all the work) Balance until you start to get tired. Rest and switch to the other side.
    Repeat 5 times.
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

I had an arch problem and tried these:

These have helped me immensely and this is my first year riding:

www.superfeet.com - the grey insoles for riding.

They have a demo on the site about what your feet do on the spin in your shoes and how their insoles help.

The other thing that has helped greatly is to put a bottle of water in the freezer - just a regular bottle like you'd buy at the grocery store - and take it out after rides and roll my arches and heel over the bottle for about 10-15 minutes per foot. Ahhhhhh - feels great.

My mom's podiatrist gave her this tip and I hogged it.

Hope this helps. Be sure to stretch your feet good both before and after the ride.

Cindy

Knot, thanks for the exercises! Major cramping so I guess I have work to do.

I tried the Superfeet! I wasn't sure what to think because my feet didn't really feel any different. I will say, however, that I think my pedal stroke got better and I was a lot stronger the second time I wore them. Then again, it could just be the training

DH got some too. They're a bit expensive for OTC orthotics but I think everyone's reviews of them means a lot therefore it's worth it.

I really think I need to try the Superfeet. Although being off for the last 3 days, my heel pain is almost gone....hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by teigyr View Post

DH got some too. They're a bit expensive for OTC orthotics but I think everyone's reviews of them means a lot therefore it's worth it.
    $31.46 on Amazon is a heck of a lot cheaper than the $180 for custom orthotics I had to get made that I can barely find shoes to wear them with.
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com