Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by maillotpois View Post
    I am mostly super happy to be back on the bike
    That's the thing that keeps me from really pushing myself - I don't ever want to be in a situation where I'm miserable on my bike. I want to always be super happy, or at least reasonably happy, on my bike. That's why I bailed out in the middle of my last two brevets - well, for the second one, it was that and the fear of winding up in an oxygen tent, but that's another matter.

It's like there's that next psychological & physiological step that I'm just not willing to take. Fear of the unknown - in this case, how my mind and how my body would react to severe stress.

Basically, I'm afraid that, if I ever did a truly exhausting ride like the one MP did (or, at least, one that would be as exhausting for me, LOL), I'd throw my bike in the garage and never want to ride it again. And that would be really sad, because I love riding so much now. I don't ever want to lose the luv.

Of course, that puts me in a bit of a dilemma, doesn't it? I won't know until I try, yet I'm afraid to try.

Eh, it's not like I'm that worried about it, I'm just pondering some deep thoughts (gah) on a rainy morning. Sooner or later I'll take that next step - tho it'll probably be little gradual baby steps rather than one big jump - it'll probably just take me longer than some.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

I've gotten burned out before and had to take time off. But I think as long as you're still curious about how the long rides will feel and what they are like, you are okay.

I firmly believe that it (burnout, disillusionment, not wanting to ride again) is not going to happen in one ride. The most that will happen is you'll want to take afew days or maybe a week off. Then you'll be wanting to ride again. Especially given how far you've come and how enthusiastic you are. And I believe you still have a lot of untapped potential.
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Wow Sarah! What a fabulous report!!!! You rock woman!

Wow, thank you for taking the time to write such a great report. It is so inspirational!!
    "The best rides are the ones where you bite off much more than you can chew, and live through it." ~ Doug Bradbury

Wow! I just read your report, I cannot imagine the toughness it took to complete that ride. Great job, I am thoroughly impressed.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Nice article out in today's Sacramento Bee. Mention of the goat but no picture of him or MP.

http://www.sacbee.com/384/story/182734.html
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

ooh - can you save it for tomorrow, SK? thanks. good bedtime reading for Davis.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

I'll be sure Bubba brings the paper home from work.

Sarah,
    That is so inspirational! Congratulations! I have never done a double century but it is one of my goals for the coming year.

way to hang tough!

You may want to check out Hammer Nutrition products (www.hammernutrition.com); that is what I use for all my long training days (I have done 2 Ironman triathlons). Their endurlotyes (electrolyte pills) are really great!

hope the recovery is going well!
    Laura
    Laura

Thanks, Laura. As SK will attest, I am a banana hammer gel junkie.... (Also use endurolytes, though probably should have had more at DMD. )
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio

You probably should have tried smoking the e-caps.

Trekhawk got me hooked on the vanilla hammer gel. Sometimes with a splash of raspberry for variety.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Sarah,

Thanks for directing me here to read your story! WOW, or, as my nephew would say, WHOA... I'm impressed that you could remember so much detail, and that you took the time to write it up for us. Thank you. Remembering all you went through last year with the PEs, I shudder to think what you were up against. You never had asthma, it was always clots... You are such an inspiration.

It's truly funny that the reward at the top of the hill is a friendly goat! J and I were at the zoo last weekend, and he was delighted to pet the variety of goats they had at the "Farm in the Zoo". I was mildly traumatized by an overly, uh, friendly goat 30 years ago in Peru, so I keep my distance. Now, if they had a box of puppies at the top of the hill...

Congratulations again on your amazing accomplishment! love, Lise
    Run like a dachshund! Ride like a superhero! Swim like a three-legged cat!
    TE Bianchi Girls Rock

Maillotpois and jobob just read your ride reports and your comments jobob. I remember when you 2 use to post on BJ. Great ride report and have it on my radar for next year. It would be my 64th birthday present to myself. I couldn't think of a better present as I luv to climb. The kicker is I live in Pa. so that is very early in the season for us to get ready. The training shall begin.

Keep riding like a girl maillotpois, you kicked some serious butt on this ride.

Zman

Uh wow. Thanks.

This report is from 7 years ago, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. (More recently I knocked 3 hours off my 2007 finish time in 2011 and am hoping to repeat that performance next year).

I hope you get out for it - it is a great ride.
    Sarah

2011 Volagi Liscio