Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Cycle Across Maryland

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just signed up for Cycle Across Maryland, a 3-day event on the eastern shore.

There are three days of supported rides leaving from Princess Anne, MD, with an optional fourth unsupported day of riding. Housing is in dorms at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore (no camping!) and you eat at the cafeteria there. After doing the week-long Bicycle Ride Across Nebraska last year, I've decided that 3-4 days is just about the perfect length for a bike trip, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm hoping to do the 100 mile ride on Saturday to fulfill my goal of doing a century this year.

Anybody else going to be there?

I did it last year, and will go again this year. It was great fun. Trying to get a group of friends to join me.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I was looking at that and it looks like fun. Riding out in that area is always nice (if windy). I'll pass the link on to a friend of mine who may be interested, too.
    I'll have to check with my other half, who I think would turn up his nose at the thought of eating college cafeteria food again. Camping is an option, tho', for the rustic among us, right? (This, coming from someone who would view staying in a dorm as "roughing it")
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    ..Camping is an option, tho', for the rustic among us, right? (This, coming from someone who would view staying in a dorm as "roughing it")
    Though I have no idea why anyone would want to camp when an air-conditioned room is available, the web site says "Camping is free and will be centrally located on the University Of Maryland Eastern Shore campus. Bathroom facilities are available for campers."

I agree that a dorm room is roughing it, and I'd much rather stay in a hotel with a swimming pool, but the price is right and it should be fun.

Withm, we'll have to figure out a way to meet up.

Camping is fine - the price is right, but remember you get what you pay for.

Last year there were torrential downpours on 2 of the 4 days in the late afternoon or overnight. One of the ride marshalls was dispatched to the football field to try to corral the tents that had blown all over the place, and after the 2nd round of thunderstorms, the campers were allowed to move to new sleeping quarters in the gym. Of course their sleeping bags were still wet...... Take the dorm! Tha'ts a no-brainer! Air conditioning, hot showers, and you don't have to traipse across campus to find a bathroom. You do have to bring pillow & blanket but they supply sheets (and towels?)

Dorm food - well it's worth it not to have to cook or fend for yourself at the local restaurants. If you are happy with McDonalds or Pizza Hut you'll be fine but the restaurant selection in the nearby area is not much to write home about. To find a good restaurant you need to go all the way to Salisbury. On the other hand, the cafeteria food had enough variety that anyone, even vegetarians, will find something to eat. It's not gourmet, but it's food and you don't have to cook it, or wash the dishes.

The food at the rest stops was great. Especially the tomato sandwiches!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Though I have no idea why anyone would want to camp when an air-conditioned room is available, ...

I agree that a dorm room is roughing it, and I'd much rather stay in a hotel with a swimming pool, but the price is right and it should be fun.
    Oh, yeah.
    I agree with you there.

July is a tough month for us.
    We're really aiming for the Civil War Century and the Seagull this year. The DH has committed (tho' not registered) to doing the Shenandoah Mountain 100 with a friend. It's getting to be a crowded bike calendar and I'd like to get some boat time and family time in there at some point.
    Gads, I really hate it when the summer hasn't even started yet, and I feel like it's already over!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

This sounds like a great event but I don't think I can wedge it into my event schedule this year: I have my first triathlon on July 22 and I'm also planning on the Civil War Century (50 miler) and the Seagull Century (metric century) rides. I'll keep it in mind for next year.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by withm View Post
    I did it last year, and will go again this year. It was great fun. Trying to get a group of friends to join me.
    Withm, are you going to be at Cycle Across Maryland? I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number. I'd love to meet you if you're there. We can share diving stories.
    Last edited by divingbiker; 07-11-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: I used to be a spelling champ...

Cam

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    Withm, are you going to be at Cycle Across Maryland? I'll send you a PM with my cell phone number. I'd love to meet you if you're there. We can share diving stores.
    Yes - just waiting for laundry to finish so I can start packing for CAM. Leaving in the morning sometime - after I get the cleats put on my new sandals. Lets try to meet up at Breakfast on Friday? Need to figure out where we can meet - with 450 other riders.... might be hard to pick each other out. I'll have my red Amici Veloci buff.

I'll pm you with my cell #

Martha