Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Looking for Newbies with a large amt of weight to lose..

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have about 100 lbs to lose. I started riding last summer and even completed my first metric half century! I stopped cycling over the winter and gained back the 15 lbs I lost. So I'm starting again and it feels like I'm a newbie, newbie all over again.

So I'm really interested in touching base with other women in the same boat and ALSO women who have lost a large amount of weight through cycling.

I'm especially interested in the special concerns and experiences of women with extra weight. Things like: riding hills with extra weight, how fast are you losing, body image issues on the bike, etc...

I'm training for the metric half century again (actually my group wants to ride a metric century). I'm struggling with a training program because I have to start really slow and from scratch.

Thanks for your input!!

Good for you! A lot of overweight people are too intimidated to go to the gym let alone get out on the road and ride.

As far as doing the rides you mentioned, I'd say just get out there and put in some TITS (time in the saddle). You can do this.

I have some experience in losing weight, about thirty pounds. I went to Weight Watchers, learned how to eat healthy foods, swam and lifted weights. I got certified as a personal trainer then went back to college and got an AA in health and Phys. Ed. (I did that mainly for myself, I have a chronic liver disease)If you belong to a gym, start taking spin classes. The intervals are a great way to lose weight and improve your aerobic capacity. It's a great way to train during winter as well.

Don't even think of it as a hundred pounds, break it down into small increments. Don't be a slave to the scale, either. Once a week should be fine. Let your clothes be your gauge.

If your schedule allows, you might want to look into Weight Watchers. You might find other members there who can relate and help you better than I have (or haven't).
    Last edited by Zen; 04-30-2007 at 05:41 PM. Reason: unfinished sentence

Forgot one very important point- don't be in a hurry to lose weight.

Two or three pounds a week is a safe amount.

You GO GIRL!! You ride your booty off!! I know how intimidating it is but you just have to say.....Screw it, "This is about me." and GO.....GO...GO...
    I'm not a small (typical cyclist) build by no means!! I'm 5'8" 195 so I'm not small. You can do it and you will, since you have before. It's all new to me, so I'm so hooked it's scary....I wore shorts today, I haven't worn shorts in 5 years!!
    I know it's hard getting started again, but you CAN do it, you WILL do it and you will love the results, you know that since you've riden before. Go for it and if you need anything I'm here!!!

Jenn

Hi Polliwog, and welcome! I can relate. I had over 100 lbs to lose, lost 85 lbs with Weight Watchers a couple of years ago (and I still basically do WW), but have gained some back. The good news is I've stayed 50 or more lbs under my top weight. I still have 60 lbs to go to my goal. Anyway, my advice about the weight loss is slow and steady. I think it's easier taking it off than keeping it off (especially for those of us who are compulsive overeaters), so long slow progress just gives you the practice you'll need to keep it off once you hit your goal.

I have loved getting into biking. It's given me a reason to be fit, which means when I'm losing weight, I'm doing it so I can be better at something I love to do. Hills are definitely a challenge for me at this weight, but part of that is because I have a bum knee right now. I wouldn't say I have any body image issues on the bike- I just feel really happy and proud that I'm able to do what I do.

Be really kind to yourself with your training program- it's 100% ok for you to be exactly where you are. If you stick with it, you'll progress.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!

-Amy

H Polliwog. I, too, have begun riding to lose weight -- 50 lbs. (Already lost 10.) I do a number of activities and wanted to add another sport to keep some variety in my exercise.

I just bought my bike a week ago. I don't have a training plan, per se. Just to exercise 5 times/wk for a min of 30 min at a level 6 or 7 (on a scale of 1 to 10). Target heart rate 135. Other than that, I'm letting my body tell me what's right for that day.

How are you training? I'd love to keep in touch!

My experience. . .

Hello Polliwog- - -I started with IDC and loved how I felt after class. I bought my bike at the end of March and I don’t know why I didn’t start earlier. I have about 50 lbs to lose but I don’t weigh myself on a regular basis - I have gone down two dress sizes and my body image has improved greatly! I feel stronger and healthier!

As far as training program (this is what I do). . . .I spin 3X’s a week, lift 2X’s, and I am on my bike 4X’s a week. I started out at 6.5 miles up’d to 10.4 and now I am at 26 and I am ready to add some more miles next week.

No advice for rolling hills as I have not yet found any in my area. . . but there is so much information and knowledge here. . . .

Best of luck with your training! You will do great!

Go get em!

Congratulations on getting out there! I can relate to where you are. Two years ago I lost 100#s through proper eating (not diet!) and exercise. I had to start slow, but each week I saw improvements in both my body and my strength. It can be frustrating and you will have ups and downs, so I suggest you journal your weight loss and exercise amounts - this will help so much when you hit a slow time and you can see your progress on paper over time. "So I haven't lost any weight this week, but look, I lost 4lbs over the last 3 weeks!" The rewards are worth the work! I am with you on losing weigh this summer. I have maintained for 1 year, and now I am ready to take on the last 25#s! This is our summer to become the fittest women we can!
    Whoo Hoo!
    Trish

www.sparkpeople.com for your journaling and keeping up with your exercise and nutrition. Free eating plans and SHOPPING LISTS, which is what I love.

I have at least 50 lbs to lose--so far I have lost 14. I just got back from vacation so I have to catch back up.

Good luck. You CAN do it. Remove all doubt.

Karen

I second SparkPeople. I love that site! I don't have 100s of pounds to lose but I am definitely overweight and looking at losing as well. That's part of the reason I took up cycling. Best of luck to you!
    "She who succeeds in gaining the master of the bicycle will gain the mastery of life." -Frances E. Willard
    My Cycling Blog | Requisite Bike Pics | Join the Team Estrogen group at Velog.com

Thank You!

Thank you for all the supportive words and advice!

I am a Weight Watchers online user. I agree that it is a great way to lose weight sensibly.

I really look forward to sharing and learning from all of you!

I hear you Polliwog...I am starting to ride more frequently to lose weight - along with tracking my calories. I too have a lot to lose, but I still wear the bike shorts. My philosophy has become "if you don't like the view, go around me!" My friends have been very supportive - that helps me stay positive. That, and all the positive vibes on TE.
    It's all about the journey (my reason for riding slower)

Hey Polliwog!

I've got about 100lbs to lose, too! I lost 92lbs doing WW about 2-3 years ago, and I used to road bike a lot. Then, for too many reasons to get into, I quit riding and gained back all that weight But, I joined WW back in January and have lost 16lbs so far. It took me 2 years to lose it before, 2 years to gain it all back, and now it'll probably take 2 years to lose it again. OH well!

I'm sure I share the same concerns you do. We have tons of hills around here (Fingerlakes area, upstate central NY). There's absolutely nowhere to go where it's flat. Hills were a big struggle for me even at my lightest, and they're even worse, now. My recommendation is to get really big gears on your bike and don't be afraid to use them! It just started getting nice enough to ride around here a couple weeks ago, and I did a four mile ride that seemed like torture. Hard to believe I used to regularly ride 50+ miles!!! But, it will get better. We just have to keep at it!

Brenda

Thanks mudgirl

Thanks for the reply mudgirl!

I had a realization yesterday while riding my bike. I have to constantly work on not feeling self conscious on my bike, but yesterday I thought about the inspiration I may be giving to other women in my situation.

Unhappy

Hi. I'm not a newbie, but I haven't been on my bike for about 3 years due to a back injury (disc herniation), and I've gained a LOT of weight. I was just searching the site for weight topics and found this thread - exactly what I needed.

I was doing so well with both my riding and weight loss, until the back pain started, then herniated the disc. I had lost about 20# that spring/summer, and I have since put that 20 back on, plus about 30 more. I'm now at the heaviest I've ever been and it's disgusting. I've been walking, doing aerobics, etc. as well as riding a bit on my old hybrid, but what I really want is to be back on my road bike. I just had my bike cleaned, tuned-up, etc. and it's ready to ride again - now I just have to work up the courage to get on it again. I have one pair of shorts that I can fit into (barely), but have NO jerseys.

I was wondering about spinning, but thought I was not in good enough shape to do it. Maybe I should just get over to the Y and talk to them about doing it. I hear you can work at your own pace, is that true?
    janella, cvt