Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: felt bikes?

felt bikes?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all! I have been lurking for a while, and decided it was time to start asking some of the 100s of ?s I have! I am new to road biking. Last year I bought a hybrid and spent the summer riding rail-trails. Who knew that I would love biking so much! Now I am ready to pedal into the world of road biking. I am interested in doing club rides and being able to hit the streets after work. I have been shopping for a road bike, but have had a hard time finding ones to test ride - no one seems to stock 52 frames so much! Anyway, this weekend I rode the Felt Z70. I loved the way it rode - shifted real easy, little vibration etc. Here's the thing - I have never even heard of Felt? I really want to buy my bike from this shop, they have great service. Any thoughts on Felt?

Thanks in advance!
    Trish

Hey, I have the Felt F70, it's 3 seasons old and I love it. Not sure if they make it still, but it had a carbon fork/rear triangle to dampen road vibe, and it seemed to be way less expensive than any other brand. I've loved it, but it was my first road bike so I don't have much to compare to.

Test ride some other stuff if you can, but it's hard to go wrong with a friendly/great bike shop and the service they provide after you drop $$$$ with them.

Good luck!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

Darcy, If you post the general area where you live, somebody may be able to recommend an LBS for you.

Felt is more well-known for tri-bikes. Although, you will see a few pro teams riding the really high end versions! They are great bikes.

I also have the F70...my pretty yellow Athena!!! I LOVE this bike! Rides great, handles bumps and road garbage well. I don't think that they make it any longer, but they have the F75, which is a step down (I think it does not have the carbon in the back triangle) and the F65(?) which is a step up.

When I bought her, I also test rode a Scott and a Cannondale. She rode nicer than those and was a lot cheaper!
    ~Sarah~

Check out My Team: Sturdy Girl Cycling

Get a bicycle. You will certainly not regret it, if you live. -Mark Twain

Check out what other people who own Felts say on road bike review.com... the F70 got a 4.56 based on 16 reviews, but like NJ said, they don't make it any more. The F75 and 65 both look like they got above a 4 out of 5 ...

http://www.roadbikereview.com/mfr/fe...2_5668crx.aspx

Maybe compare that to other brands you were considering?

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose ...” -- Dr. Seuss

Life's an adventure! http://www.lovenewsjh.blogspot.com

thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement on the Felt bikes. I loved the way it rode, but I am just leery of a brand I am not familiar with. Thanks for the suggestion on roadbikereview.com - it seems Felts get good reviews overall even though the Z70 is not listed. As I said above, I would really like to buy my bike from this LBS, as they have outstanding service and a great reputation.
    Trish

another happy F70 owner

My F70 is also 3 years old. I've ridden 3 Pan-Mass Challenges on it. I like it very much. I have the smallest frame they made, with 650 wheels. No toe overlap. It has been crashed, and came out better off than me. It is quick and not a harsh ride like other Al frames I've ridden. The carbon seat stays and fork really work. Felt has made a very good line, and most of their frames have shorter top tubes than other brands so they tend to fit women well.

I test-rode my first Felt yesterday and hated it (it was either the F4 or the F55, can't remember which one). Granted, I am about 5'2" tall and was put on a non-wsd 50cm frame with a 52.5cm top tube. I felt like I was bent in half and really stretched out and was in lots of pain as a result. However, I have to say that the carbon frame absorbed road chatter very nicely and the price point for a carbon frame, and a combo of Ultegra/DuraAce components was the best I've seen so far. My physical therapist has said that Felts are really good bikes (he's a US Cycling Coach as well).

So, while this particular bike certainly was not for me, that is not to say that Felt's are a bad bike. I'd encourage you to take a test ride.

thanks!

Thank you for the words of encouragement, and the link to the roadbikereview.com! I am going back on Thursday night to ride the bike again.
    Trish

FWIW, I test rode an F4 last November and my reaction was, "Eh." I wasn't in pain or anything. I just wasn't going to spend that kind of money on a bike unless it blew me away and was significantly better than my steel Paramount. Well, I then rode an F3C and fell in love. Go figure. I test rode Orbeas and Scotts and some other bikes and I kept coming back to the F3C. It is an incredible bike and I am a very happy woman. I can't believe how well it climbs.

Alex

thanks

for all the great advice and encouragment! I am off to test ride the bike again on Thursday!
    Trish

It's a boy!! 19.6lbs, 52cm

I test rode the felt again tonight, and love it as much as it I did on Sat, So.... I bought him!! Yipee!! I have taken tomorrow off from work so I can put some miles in! I am so excited! I traded out the saddle for a Terry and the pedals for spd. I am going to wait for the custom fit until I get used to the feel (only have experience on a hybrid) Here's to following passions, improving health and social life! Cheers, Trish
    If not now, when?

congrats on your new family member!

I see you are in Ct, are you close to the Western MA border, by any chance?

Hey Stella, actually I live very close to the MA border - but the other end - South of Palmer. I drive everywhere to ride though - today I rode with a friend down in Farmington!
    Trish
    If not now, when?

hi there, I just want to chime in...better late than never..I have a felt F75, I have had it just over a year now and I am very happy with it. My LBS sells them so I ride with Lots of people who have felts and are very happy with them ....Happy riding