Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Gotta love Fedex

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ordered some Sidi's yesterday from a place in San Antonio- about 100 miles from my house. Look at where they have gone.

Apr 28, 2007 5:08 PM Left FedEx Ramp AUSTIN, TX
    11:07 AM Arrived at FedEx Ramp AUSTIN, TX
    9:49 AM Left FedEx Sort Facility MEMPHIS, TN
    5:56 AM Arrived at Sort Facility MEMPHIS, TN
    3:15 AM Left FedEx Ramp SAN ANTONIO, TX
    2:46 AM Left FedEx Origin Location SAN ANTONIO, TX
    2:32 AM Arrived at FedEx Ramp SAN ANTONIO, TX
    2:14 AM Left FedEx Origin Location SAN ANTONIO, TX
    12:08 AM Picked up by FedEx SAN ANTONIO, TX
    12:08 AM Picked up by FedEx SAN ANTONIO, TX

Now if I didn't have a wedding today and my DH's birthday tomorrow I would have just driven down to get them. But instead I can marvel at Fedex's logic of sending everything through Memphis. No wonder it cost so much to ship it overnight.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I had to Google map this to see the irony! Google's directions from San Antonio to Memphis take you right through Austin!

Yup, Fedex is not my favourite. They once held a shipment for 3 days because it had been sent expedited 7 day and they would not deliver it before the 7 days were up!!

Luv those guys, no?

H&B
    ~T~
    The butterflies are within you.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/picsiechick/

Buy my photos: http://www.picsiechick.com

If you ever visited their World Hub in Memphis, you would be truly amazed.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers

I've also had UPS hold a package because it got there too early! I think the technology is amazing though and with all the variables in delivering a package, I think we're pretty darned lucky!

My guess is there was no way to get your package from the shipping point to you without going through Memphis. An example would be this, if I wanted to go from Los Angeles Airport to Phoenix on my airline, I'd have to go LAX-SEA-PHX. It's the very scenic route By not deviating from their scheduled routes, it is probably more cost effective for FedEx.

Did y'all know that in the early morning hours (like 2-4am) that Memphis International is the busiest airport in the world? folks in the delta love Fred Smith!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Not too fond of FedEx either. They once lost a shipment between Sacramento and Santa Rosa (Sonoma County) and tried to tell me that it was possibly because of snow. Those of you familiar with California know how ridiculous this is.
    "Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There's something wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym." -- Bill Nye

2005 After Katrina I tried to do all my Christmas shopping from shops on Magazine street in New Orleans that were open (french lesson - Magazine is "store"). Wound up ordering some ornaments from a N.O. artist and they were to be shipped via FedEx from her house in N.O. to my house in Metairie, 7 miles appart. Went from the artist in New Orleans, to the temporary distribution center just up river in St. Rose (I ride past it on the bike levee, approximately 25 miles up river), and on a monday they were put on a truck for delivery, then went back to the warehouse on friday, repeat the following week. Meanwhile I'm emailing the artist - she can't get them back either. We both figured it'd be faster to meet at the local coffee shop. Third week, mid week, a Ryder truck pulls up, guy in FedEx uniform hops out, and hands me my box. The driver had just arrived from Portland! Apparently FedEx decided they were open for business, then didn't have enough drivers, but would still accept packages and promise overnight delivery. I had hoped this was a regional issue in the chaos of the post Katrina world. I see they're still using creative routing.
    Beth

Quote Originally Posted by Hub View Post
    Did y'all know that in the early morning hours (like 2-4am) that Memphis International is the busiest airport in the world? folks in the delta love Fred Smith!
    Hey Hub: When we lived in Germantown, we knew it too. Every 90 seconds like clockwork. We absolutely loved living in Memphis, then when we moved to Indiana, I couldn't sleep because it was so quiet at night!

Seriously, I'm a big fan of FedEx and UPS. They've revolutionized retail for the "little guy" and have a remarkably high success rate. When something is delayed, I've always found a good explanation.
    If you don't grow where you're planted, you'll never BLOOM - Will Rogers