Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping

ALS PedALS for Hope ride - 4/28

To disable ads, please log-in.

Is anyone doing this ride next Saturday, the 28th?
    http://www.alsinfo.org/pedalsforhope.html
    It looks like a good thing - my FIL passed away from ALS last fall. It's a horrible disease. They have a "suggested fundraising minimum" of $150.00 - not sure if they won't let you ride without it, however.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I didn't know about the ALS ride, but I tend to shy away from rides that require fundraising. There are only so many times you can go to the well asking for money, so I ante up the donation myself when I do these rides, and I try to make sure it's an organization I really believe in and where most of the money goes to direct action and not to overhead, etc. The 50 mile ride is a little odd...I'm not sure that doing two loops of the 25 mile ride would be all that fun.

Are you going to do it?

Quote Originally Posted by divingbiker View Post
    The 50 mile ride is a little odd...I'm not sure that doing two loops of the 25 mile ride would be all that fun.

Are you going to do it?
    I had the same thought about it.
    We're really torn. We'd like to do it for DH's dad - who's birthday would have been just the other day - but there are parts of that ride that just seem strange - like two loops of the route for the 50 miler.
    Maybe, we'll just send in a donation and do a ride in his memory by ourselves....

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    We'd like to do it for DH's dad - who's birthday would have been just the other day - but there are parts of that ride that just seem strange - like two loops of the route for the 50 miler.
    Maybe, we'll just send in a donation and do a ride in his memory by ourselves....
    You should try to think about why you want to do the ride. If you feel that doing it would honor Tom's dad, then you should do it. It's this thought that matters, not the route you'll be riding. Of course, fund raising rides are a bother. I limit myself to one per year; you can't solicit support from the same people over and over without everyone getting burned out. If you support my Diabetes ride I'll support your ALS ride (actually, I'll support you anyway )
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    You should try to think about why you want to do the ride. If you feel that doing it would honor Tom's dad, then you should do it. It's this thought that matters, not the route you'll be riding. Of course, fund raising rides are a bother. I limit myself to one per year; you can't solicit support from the same people over and over without everyone getting burned out. If you support my Diabetes ride I'll support your ALS ride (actually, I'll support you anyway )
    Tom and I have been wracking our brains on this thought.
    Tom's a pretty pragmatic kind of guy. He doesn't necessarily feel he has to do an organized ride with the ALS organization to honor his dad. He feels that the thought can be made pretty much anywhere.
    ...and then there's that fund-raising thing.

For 5 years in a row, I did the GreatMass Getaway - a MS-150 ride out of Boston every June. I think I used up all my donor support with that effort!
    When's your Diabetes ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Regina View Post
    Tom and I have been wracking our brains on this thought.
    Tom's a pretty pragmatic kind of guy. He doesn't necessarily feel he has to do an organized ride with the ALS organization to honor his dad. He feels that the thought can be made pretty much anywhere.
    ...and then there's that fund-raising thing.

For 5 years in a row, I did the GreatMass Getaway - a MS-150 ride out of Boston every June. I think I used up all my donor support with that effort!
    When's your Diabetes ride?
    It's sounds like the ALS ride is a nice idea but maybe not right for you and Tom.

I'm on the second year of the diabetes ride. Last year I raised $2100 and have set this year's goal at $2500 but I'm finding little energy to do much in the way of fundraising and I'm expecting less from my friends this year. I've got just short of $700 right now.

I'm doing the ride (50 miles) with my cousin's husband up in Stillwater, NY on Sunday June 10. If you are willing to sponsor me, the link is in my signature, or I can send the link separately.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er