Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 34 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536 LastLast

Thread: Brooks Saddles

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Holland View Post
    Glad I found this site, but too many pages to read through. Sorry if my question has already been answered.

I ordered a B67 for a Surly Cross Check 42". Every worker at bike shops kept telling me it'd take weeks/months to break it in. My 2000 mile trip starts in a week and I don't know if I should cxl my Brooks order and just buy a Terry Liberator or not. Also, what is equivalent to the Liberatoor with no cut-out? Thanks.
    You have never ridden either saddle, and don't have either one yet, and you are leaving in a week for a 2,000 mile bike ride?
    "If Americans want to live the American Dream, they should go to Denmark." - Richard Wilkinson

Quote Originally Posted by Muirenn View Post
    Post # 26, and I'm officially done.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showt...t=38689&page=2
    well, tell us about the ride then!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Hi everyone!

I'm new here! and I just read this whole thread.. lol after plunking down 150 for a new Brooks B67 saddle, however the clerk at the bike shop made an error and I realized I had the mens version of the B67 when I got home.

Couple things, I see many of you here are using that saddle, I have it on a Schwinn Gateway cruiser (yes crappy bike I know) I could not handle the junk that came on the bike (find it comical that my saddle is worth more than the bike)

However I notice that the nose does stick out quite a ways when I am sitting on it.. is this ok? I think I'm getting a complex about it.. I do ride in skirts and dresses very often, is there ANY advantage to keeping this mens saddle? or should I change it for the ladies (since I am within my exchange period)

I think I gathered from reading this whole thread, that there is no difference in dimensions of both saddles aside from nose length correct?

Thanks ladies!

I originally ordered the S version but read that several people on the forum felt like the "s" was "missing something".

At that point, I started to panic because I already had the S on order. Lo and behold, the place I ordered from didn't have the "s" in stock so they sent me a regular B67 instead. I have yet to use it on my bike but if you do a search on this forum you will see that several members recommend the regular mens B67 version over the "s".

I'm giving Brooks another go. I tried a regular B17 a while ago and the front of the saddle hit me funny. no matter how I adjusted it. So, this time I went with a B17S. I got the "select" model. It will take longer to break in, I know, but I like the look and the organic free range thing for the leather.

First ride just now on the trainer and it's better than any of my other Brooks attempts (B72, regular B17, and Champion Flyer S). The leather is stiff, for sure, but no chafing and my butt isn't killing me. All of which is good, since I've had to be off the box for six months due to a knee injury.

Fingers crossed that I will finally experience the Brooks magic.

Any Southern California folks wanting Brooks, should go to Topanga Creek Bicycles. I got my Karate Money from them and got the Brooks from them last week. They have a huge selection in stock and know the line well.

update -love my B67 aged (no S) saddle. Although I am 5'0 ft tall, the mens version fit just fine. I didn't have a break in period, it felt comfortable from the start. Count me in as another happy Brooks owner.

JYYANKS, that's great. All of my saddles are "men's" saddles too. And I have never ridden in a long dress, so it works for me.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Just read through most of this post, and I really want to try a Brooks now! I think I will wait until closer to the spring, as I probably won't ride much during the winter. So much good info in here, thanks everyone!

Here's my Surly with his Brooks saddle. (The angle is just right!) In commuting mode. Since the internet credo is, "Pics or it didn't happen." ;D

"Things look different from the seat of a bike carrying a sleeping bag with a cold beer tucked inside." ~Jim Malusa
    2009 Trek 520-Brooks B-17 Special in Antique Brown
    2010 Surly Long Haul Trucker-Brooks B-17 Standard in Black
    1983 Fuji Espree Single Speed-Brooks B17 British Racing Green

your bike looks great!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

I just got the Brooks Team Pro S saddle. I put on this weekend and finally used it for the first time today. Currently I have my bike on a trainer because I'm too wimpy to take it out in the cold and dark after work. My rear end was pretty comfortable compared to my other saddle, but I kept slip sliding around. It was annoying and kind of got in the way of my workout. I did tilt the saddle a bit. I'm really tempted to put that backing you can put under rugs and to line shelves with to keep me in place for the time being. So far I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sempronialou View Post
    My rear end was pretty comfortable compared to my other saddle, but I kept slip sliding around. ..... I'm really tempted to put that backing you can put under rugs and to line shelves with to keep me in place for the time being. So far I like it.
    New Brooks saddles do tend to be very slippery at first. Treating it with Proofhide helps. One of my saddles was so slippery that I rode it with a saddle cover for the first couple of weeks (it helps that this was during the wintertime). Your shelf liner idea, if I'm correct in thinking you mean that mesh-like rubbery stuff, might work.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    New Brooks saddles do tend to be very slippery at first. Treating it with Proofhide helps. One of my saddles was so slippery that I rode it with a saddle cover for the first couple of weeks (it helps that this was during the wintertime). Your shelf liner idea, if I'm correct in thinking you mean that mesh-like rubbery stuff, might work.

I used the shelf liner (mesh rubbery stuff), and it worked very well. I stayed in place today. I wouldn't suggest it for outside use unless there's a way to tack it down. But it works great inside. I also treated it with proof hide.

Quote Originally Posted by sempronialou View Post
    I wouldn't suggest it for outside use unless there's a way to tack it down. But it works great inside.
    Heh, using it for outside rides would be a challenge, I'd imagine. But I'm glad it's woking well for you! Hopefully by the time it's nice out some of the slipperiness will have gone away.

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Hey, new user here (not so new "lurker"), first post!

I was hoping some of the Brooks experts on here could help me out. I've read the whole thread and it's been super helpful. I'm looking for a saddle to replace my somewhat nasty bloke's Fizik that came stock with my Oppy C6. I was looking at a Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow but then I came across the Brooks (and this thread!) and I'm seriously considering one.

I have a few problems/questions though, I'll try to be brief:
    1) I live in Perth, WA (Aus). No chance of getting something I can try and return, though a LBS do stock them at a reasonable price, so I MAY be able to try at least a B17/B17S out. That's it.
    2) My sit bones measure approx 160mm on the outside. Could a B17S work?
    3) I'm HEAVY. With playing contact sports, my weight at full fitness is unlikely to get below 80kg. Also my thighs are large. If I'm not carrying "padding," it's muscle and not much smaller. I find it difficult to get below a size 14 . Would this be a problem with a Brooks? I've noticed some other users mention chafing.

My seat is about level with my handle bars, and as I have a long torso/shorter femurs, I have my seat quite a way forward.

If someone could help me out that would be very much appreciated! I've done a lot of reading but I don't have anyone else I can run things by, so many questions!